[Downloadable] My Kylo Ren's Hilt 3D model

levallois

Hi, this is my first test of the 3D model : Kylo Ren's Hilt (start yesterday) W.I.P.

You can watch the 3D model on sketchgfab. (you can zoom in, turn around, display wireframe...)

Updated 2015/05/05

I need critics and some new pictures about the "back side".
Anyone can help.

Edit :
Download link : click on folder →
3Dfolder.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: My Kylo Ren's Hilt 3D model

I think it looks pretty accurate actually. I would love to see some side by side pictures with the original one. Also, are you sure about doing the sidesabers bent? I think straight is more what it's going to look (appart from the FOAM one). Also, are you going to add the cutout?

Thanks,
for the sidesaber bent, I don't know exacly if I'll do or not, because, in the pictures this not seem exactly horizontal (straight)...

I'll do the comparaison pictures/3D model in the next week ( it's time to dinner now, and the Week-end is the PC's off time :) )

In the first time I only do the uncutout hilt.
but, if i have time for this, I will do an other model with cutout.

This is awesome!!!...looks great! Here's a link to some video I shot at C7! ... Hope it helps

Thanks a lot, I will investigate this video.

I updated my model.
You can watch it here :

LINK

Last edited:

This is the comparaison between Picture of Celebration. and my 3D model.

- png with alpha

- png with alpha

New version online :
(with straight emitters)

If you want the 3D model just tell me by Private Message what kind of extension you need. I used Softimage XSI to do this one.
So I can export in several extention.
obj, xsi, emdl, dae, fbx, Point oven Lwo.
I can make sketchup file too :) (.skp)
But, the model is not finished yet.

But I do not know if my modeling is good for printing...

That's a pretty awesome job ! I was going to take a shot at it myself, but I don't think I can do better. Or even as good. PM definitely incoming as I'd love to try to print that, once I get my printer back. That sketchfab site is dope too, I didn't even know there was such a thing.

levallois, There are a lot of people now making 3D models of this saber, mostly for 3D printing. Out of all of them, I noticed that yours is the only one with the bottom half of the handle, slightly offset from the top half, just like the prop that was on display at Celebration Anaheim 2015. In other words, in at least that one way, your render is more accurate than others when compared to that particular prop...

azsdfzxdf.jpg~original

However, I personally believe that, like the drooping side blade emitters, this is a defect on that specific prop and does not represent the way the hero prop will be shown In Episode 7 (I also firmly believe that the prop at Celebration is indeed 3D printed and not a rubber cast as many have suggested, due to all the tiny plastic looking strands coming off of it in the close up photos. Rubber would not have that.). Just something to think about.

Rubber would have that if it was a cast of a 3D printed master.

Yeah, I don't understand what he is saying. Look at the horrifically ugly seams running right down the side of it (including the emitters). It is clear it is a cast of a master. Given the softness of the details and the sagging of the emitter shrouds under their own weight it is almost assuredly rubber. The "strands" are just flecks or dust and lint that it likely picked up, as I've never seen even a low-quality 3D print have that as a result of the printing or clean-up process.

Rubber would have that if it was a cast of a 3D printed master.

I disagree. There are way too many fine strands coming off that hilt. I don't anyone getting a rubber pull of those tiny fine strands. Also, why lie on the plague at the convention? There's no good, logical reason to.

Yeah, I don't understand what he is saying. Look at the horrifically ugly seams running right down the side of it (including the emitters). It is clear it is a cast of a master. Given the softness of the details and the sagging of the emitter shrouds under their own weight it is almost assuredly rubber. The "strands" are just flecks or dust and lint that it likely picked up, as I've never seen even a low-quality 3D print have that as a result of the printing or clean-up process.

I admit, there are things that make it look cast other than the what I have already stated and it's hard to imagine a 3D printer messing up that badly. I could be wrong... but it's the plague and those strands that convince me otherwise. Does it really matter if I'm right or wrong? Nope. Regardless, that's not the main point I'm trying to get across here. The offset of the bottom half of the handle is.

No lies. Maybe they got a problem and had to change the Hero for a Stunt one. Just a simple change. I have seen too many of these through the exhibits. Also, the guy who made the weapons would have never made this piece of casted crap as a 3d printed Hero lightsaber, unless he's a fourteen years old garage maker and, trust me, he's not.

I disagree. There are way too many fine strands coming off that hilt. I don't anyone getting a rubber pull of those tiny fine strands. Also, why lie on the plague at the convention? There's no good, logical reason to.

Maybe we are confused about what you are referencing. Can you provide a photo of these "fine strands"? Because all I have ever seen close-up is dust and lint (like at the top of the center emitter hole). That's not from 3D printing, whether they used FDM or SLA.

20150417-exhibition-kylo-schwert-02-bg.jpg

There are no crisp, clean details on this thing, which leads me to believe it is a mold. Even my $2,200 FDM can print at better resolution and conciseness than this. I can't imagine that something like this is the best that LFL/Disney could muster as a 3D printed prop. I would put money down on it being a stunt cast of a hero version.

Geez guys. I make one off-hand comment and you all freak out. It's just my personal belief. Whether I'm right or wrong has zero bearing on how to go about making a render of the hilt or making that render into a real hilt as I'm quite sure, that is not the hero prop. As for the strands, if I'm wrong, then they are indeed lint.

If this were a vocal conversation, the OP would have completely missed my actual point due to the nice magician trick of misdirection, lol.

It wasn't really an off-hand comment, the entire second paragraph of your post was refuting something that a lot of casters and 3D printers have concluded... KaanE and I saw an explanation that we thought was false (3D printing produces "tiny fine strands" on the print or something) and felt the need to address it...

But you're right, this has little to do with the modeling. FWIW, I do believe the crossguard is a 90-degree angle, however, due to the way we have seen the saber blades pointed in all the footage/concept art.

As well as you have the right to post your belief I have mine, so don't freak out and, if you do, don't point at others as being guilty for you taking it personal. Have a good day and relax, it's just a forum, to discuss a prop, from a movie. See the point?

And yes, I like Jar-Jar.

I'm sorry for derailing the thread...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back