Dredd 2012 Electronics 3D Model and Build

Props3D

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Edit:
All done! Files and links to code here:
‐-----------original post below------‐---
Working on a full Dredd 2012 lights/sound 3d model and build. Spent my xMas pouring over references modeling this up for 3D printing. After 212 versions I finally have this:
Dredd2012_2021-Dec-27_06-27-40PM-000_CustomizedView22907405756.png

Dredd2012_2021-Dec-27_06-08-13PM-000_CustomizedView5603864898.png

It's 3D printable with very little support and has a ton of features. They've all been tested separately but I don't have anything close to a final yet :)

Working Features:
- Working trigger
- OLED display with ammo counter
- Voice recognition changing fire modes
- 7 neopixel LED front light with focuser lens
- Detachable front magazine
- MP3 with 20X40mm Speaker
- Cocking mechanism pulls back like the movie and triggers reload
- Fully modular for servicing

You can see my test prints here: Props3D Pro on Instagram

I'm teaming up with Spidey74 who's doing the code half of this as well as a build of the models as it progresses. So far he's gotten most of it working, I'll leave it to him to update that side.

At the end I'll be posting the models on thingiverse for free and the code on our Github page. Since it's all over the place as I'm versioning this I'm just going to post updates :)

If you do want the models to join in, DM me and I'll link you the package, I just ask that this is a non-commercial release and you keep it as such. Sharing is caring!

Last edited:
Added a holster, there's a retainer strap so it stays put. Made 2 mounting methods: Duty belt and drop leg. Drop leg is going to require Kydex or requiv for the actual leg part, 3D printing isn't that strong. Added a large support block and 4 M5 holes to attach, should be more than strong enough.

Attachments

• 7bbc6a86-660e-4cfd-b730-3744069b9b82.PNG
    7bbc6a86-660e-4cfd-b730-3744069b9b82.PNG
    557.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Dredd2012_2022-Jan-10_07-09-56PM-000_CustomizedView22784645686.png
    Dredd2012_2022-Jan-10_07-09-56PM-000_CustomizedView22784645686.png
    390.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Dredd2012_2022-Jan-10_07-09-48PM-000_CustomizedView22784645686.png
    Dredd2012_2022-Jan-10_07-09-48PM-000_CustomizedView22784645686.png
    370 KB · Views: 173
This has been such a fun build with Props3D. I've printed most of the parts and so far everything fits very well with little to no clean up. Next up for me is to finalize the code and fit all of the electronics.

We'll be using Arduino Nano to run all of these components, and it's been going pretty well. Still need to add code for the reload micro-switch, and tweak the VR module, but it's working pretty well.
1641845120936.png

Parts List (will be updated as parts are added and removed):
Arduino Nano v3
DF Player Mini + 64mb Micro SD Card
Speaker Amp - PAM8302A
WS2812 7 Bits LED 5050 RGB LED Ring
20X40mm 8ohm 2w speaker (square one)
7mm momentary switch
Mini 360 DC-DC Buck Converter (this may be upgraded)
2 X 1K Resister
256*64 25664 Graphic LCD Module White Display
Voice Recognition Module V3
7.4v Lipo 800Mah
1/8 soft steel rod (for cocking mechanism smoothness, optional)
Spring (for cocking mechanism smoothness, size tbd, have a few options)

Last edited:

Not sure how I can embed a video here so just linking the vid in Instagram above, new member so help would be appreciated. But here's a test of the 3D printed holster for the Lawgiver 2012. I honestly didn't expect it to work as well as it did. I did the belt version shown here and a drop leg version.

The 3D print of the Lawgiver itself is a draft copy and has a lot of changes since then, the new version is in a slowly accumulating bucket of parts.

Turns out I already follow you on Thingiverse . This particular gun was on my future project list to do a laser tag version of so was going to be a full sound/light build. Unfortunately my current custom boards don’t support the display like that so will need a redesign. Would you mind if I use as a base when you do release it ? (If you do). Will save a ton of work having a version that already has space for some electronics.

This just uses some off the shelf parts, so really cheap if you need new boards, I posted the start of a shopping list above. You're welcome to use/remix it any way you like for personal use.

Only thing I ask is that since I give away my work for free you don't sell derivatives without discussing it with me first, and I hope you post you're willing to project models and code for free as well after just like I did. (That last bit is totally up to you of course :) )

No problem. I don't really sell much of anything anyway. I dont have any etsy shop or ebay account for selling either. The lasertag hobby in the UK is basically about 30-40 people max, most of us have known each other for years and we tend to do a lot of weekend themed games. So stuff like Aliens, Babylon 5 (which is why I did my lasertag ppg which is available on thingiverse) , WH40K, Star Wars etc.
I tend to build kit just for us, mainly as I'm the one handy with a soldering iron lol. I only really cover costs to build, unless I'm making one as a gift for a friend. The boards I make are totally custom, as they are small enough to fit inside the grip of a ppg and drive an IR led at around 1.5 amps as well as do the sounds (wt588d), muzzle flash etc. PIC chip based, which is my problem with driving the display on a lawgiver, just not enough memory on the current chips used to do it unfortunately. Some of them wouldn't have been possible without the small size of the electronics.
Your parts list is actually pretty similar to what I use anyway, same speaker, tactile switches, lithium batteries.

While I don't end up putting all my stuff online, mainly cause most of them aren't worth it, I do put a selection of models up for free, recently added a Dune shield generator and crysknife, PrusaPrinters or Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects if you want to see what I have. I fully understand about not wanting to be taken advantage of and if you don't want me to then no worries. I'll eventually get around to modelling one. I think its the effort involved in the electronics redesign thats been putting me off anyway.

Many of the gun models I've done lasertag versions of are only for personal use so they don't get posted anywhere. So far I've done amonst others, PPG, Laspistol, M2019, Mando's blaster, the Glie 44, Discovery phaser, blakes 7 liberator wand and the scorpio clipgun, Space 1999 blaster to name some from various sci fi shows.

Love the PPG model, just followed you back :)

Again, you're more than welcome to use whatever you like for personal projects, for your group or whatever, just not retail without talking to me about it. I can send you a zip of the models, but the code isn't done yet and the electronic parts list is subject to change as start some of the nitty gritty sorted.

Just note the models all work, but have been going through a lot of fit and finish changes as I noodle over options, so they're 'as is' unless you want to wait until they're finalized, which hopefully will be in the next week as spidy74 gets his done. If you want to print one up and give me some feedback as well I would much appreciate it.

Mechanical Parts list:

M3X12mm Flat - Top Rear Sight
M3X8mm Flat - Top Front Sight
M4X10mm Button X2 - Top Cover through Frame and Barrel
M3X16mm Cap X3 - Rear Mag Cover, Trigger Group
M4X12mm Cap X2- Trigger Group to Cocking Mechanism
M3X8mm Cap X2 Trigger Group to Frame
M2.5X12mm Cap X2 Microswitch in Cocking Mechanism
1/8in rod X 9mm - trigger axel
1/8in rod x 54mm x2 - Cocking Mechanism
5/16 X 1 1/8 Extension Spring with 5 loops cut off
7/32 X 11/16 Compression
25mm convex lens (optional, focuses the LEDs and just generally looks cool, there's an insert collar for it with the barrel model)
(the 1/8 rod lengths can be made with cheap welding rod and a Dremel)

Last edited:
One thing I don't see on your parts list that you might have already considered is some form of charge controller for the lithium. I don't have enough of a feel for the space internally or where you are locating all the internal electronics but something where the charge connector is in the magazine well so that if you pop the mag out you can plug it in to charge might be convenient.

If you were using a single 3.7v cell then I'd use something like a TP4056 but there must be something equivalent for a 7.4v.

One thing I don't see on your parts list that you might have already considered is some form of charge controller for the lithium. I don't have enough of a feel for the space internally or where you are locating all the internal electronics but something where the charge connector is in the magazine well so that if you pop the mag out you can plug it in to charge might be convenient.

If you were using a single 3.7v cell then I'd use something like a TP4056 but there must be something equivalent for a 7.4v.
Thanks for the idea but the battery is removable so I'm not worrying about a charge port. There's a battery plug in the grip and you can just swap it as needed. Integrated charging is a good idea but it's so packed full of components right now anything that can be done to simplify it is welcome.

Published the models early, was getting a bunch of DMs for them, I hate keeping things under my had, had a call with Spidey74 and he says the parts are all good on his test as well, so here you go:

Question on the 7 bit LED - Neopixel is the NeoPixel Jewel - 7 x 5050 RGBW LED w/ Integrated Drivers - Natural White - what would be needed or is this to back light the LED?

Question on the 7 bit LED - Neopixel is the NeoPixel Jewel - 7 x 5050 RGBW LED w/ Integrated Drivers - Natural White - what would be needed or is this to back light the LED?
Updated it to be more accurate, there's prob a bunch that fit the bill of what I put in there. It's this one: 0.46US $ 4% OFF|WS2812 7/8 Bits LED 5050 RGB LED Ring Lamp Light with Integrated Drivers For Arduino Reverse Polarity Protection IC Control|Integrated Circuits| - AliExpress [WS2812 7 Bits LED 5050 RGB LED Ring]

It's for the fire effects, there's screw mounts for it on the frame behind the barrel. It's run directly from the buck converter.

The OLED panel generates it's own light so it's good to go and is powered directly from the Arduino.

Last edited:
Small update ...

The basic coding for the lawgiver is finished. Pretty happy with it at this point. May need a few tweaks once we finalize the audio files, for timing and such. Still looking for good audio effects, once I have them sorted then I'll publish the code on Github.

Boot up sequence includes:
  1. Logo display
  2. Comm check w/progress bar
  3. DNA Check w/ progress bar
  4. ID OK
  5. Judge ID
  6. Ammo mode
The DNA Check requires the trigger to be depressed otherwise it displays ID Failed, and must be power cycled.

Other notable features:
  • Voice Recognition supports 7 commands for each ammo mode: Armour Piercing, Incendiary, Hotshot, High Ex, Stun, Full Metal Jacket, and Rapid Fire.
  • Customizable audio. Each ammo mode has its own audio file, along with sounds for change mode, reload, and empty clip.
  • The front LED sequence is the same for each shot, white flash with red to orange cool down. I might add different patterns in the future if the program memory will let me :unsure:

Hoping to fit all the electronics into the model soon once the paint dries :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back