Limited Run Blade Runner 2049 blaster replacement metal Cylinder ** Production OVER **

A big thank you to userd1402 for testing out the cylinders. You've been a great help in making this happen and I can't thank you enough for it.

It pains me to see them have issues of any kind and my brain is working overtime now to try and figure out the why and possibly a fix for it. Although it's a mix of emotions since the issues are with both Don and my own variants, it's still going to gnaw at me until I figure it out. On the bright side, I'm happy to see everything lined up correctly and at least know my processes are somewhat okay and for the most part, they fit and kinda worked.

I'm wondering since the issue is present in all three variants, if it's something to do with the added weight of the steel causing the issue, something in the tomen design or something else that was overlooked.

I noticed in the first video that the little hook didn't seem to engage as well as it should have, somewhat missing those engagement teeth. Maybe having that ejector star sit a little proud would help that. Currently, as per the original plastic part, it's recessed to 2.1mm, but maybe 1.8-1.9mm might help with a more positive engagement and still leave enough room for it not to hit up against the body?

"The star shaped part of the ejector is also a very snug fit on Ted's cylinders. I don't know if that makes any difference or not and I don't know how to test whether it does or not."
The ejector star being a snug fit might just be slight differences in the casting of it. The hole was made with an 8mm endmill and measures to about 8.10mm and those slots were made with a 2mm endmill and are a little over (2.05-2.10mm). Without me actually feeling where it starts to get snug, I'm just speculating as to what could be causing that. Although, I don't think it would have anything to do with the cycling of it since it's keyed in with those three 2mm slots in the cylinder. I would guess it would only make the ejector star a little more sticky in it's operation when ejecting the casings.

"It's important to note this happens on all three cylinders including the old steel one from Don in the states so It's probably that my building technique is causing some problems here. If I leave everything loose I get one result and if I make everything secure it binds up whichever cylinder I use."
When everything is tightened and it all starts to bind, I'm thinking it may have to do with the plastic itself flexing causing the issue. It may need to be done in a specific sequence or maybe whatever tolerance is built into them isn't enough and is taken up once things are snug. It's one reason I don't like working plastic since holding tight tolerances is difficult... not impossible, just really difficult.

"After spending most of the day playing with this I'm just about ready to throw an expensive kit out the window and give up with them. I've decided the answer is if you don't like the Tomen's tendency to play up when using heavy steel replacement cylinders then don't play with it and don't pull the trigger. That's what I'm going to do. I have now placed my guns back in the display cabinet and I'm going to open a bottle of wine and pretend they don't exist for a few days."

I wish things turned out better and it all worked flawlessly. I'm not a wine drinker, but I'll crack open a couple of beers and try to figure some things out watching those videos you posted in hopes of having a eureka moment and coming up with a fix. The problem with me now is, knowing what I know about their operation, I can't pretend they don't exist at all and I'll probably see these things in my dreams for the next few days trying to figure it out. This is going to have it's fun with my sanity.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to chime in.

Yes, maybe the heavy weight of the cylinder......the Tomen plastic pieces can't swing that heavy piece......maybe !!!

It looks like the "claw" can't catch the star and make it turn...

Last edited:
As the slippage seems to occur when the gun is at any angle but up, this suggests that the cylinder is sliding forward ever so slightly when at any other angle. Could some small washers or shims of some kind on the cylinder shaft between the frame and the front of the cylinder solve the problem. Perhaps a thin sprung steel slightly convex washer to act as a kind of pressure spring. Just an idea!

As the slippage seems to occur when the gun is at any angle but up, this suggests that the cylinder is sliding forward ever so slightly when at any other angle. Could some small washers or shims of some kind on the cylinder shaft between the frame and the front of the cylinder solve the problem. Perhaps a thin sprung steel slightly convex washer to act as a kind of pressure spring. Just an idea!
the convex washer seems like a good idea, im not sure if there are any existing products that can do what we'd need it to do or if Teddz is going to have to make some. I used a similar solution on a larger scale while building my go-kart to keep pressure on the drive sprocket while still allowing it to move a little (specific solution for a specific problem).

It takes the oil off the skin or the blueing gets hosed again.

Attachments

• blueingprep.jpg
    blueingprep.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 94
I had the modified ‘test’ cylinder which I tried fitting in a couple of Tomens. Fitting and occasional binding were exactly the same as the original Tomen plastic cylinders so no real issues there (especially as I don’t ever pull the triggers on my display guns) and I also received barrels for Tomen and Sidkit, neither of which are fitted yet as life has been getting in the way. However this was all back in September - post #180 in this very thread if you want to take a look. Another three months later and I’m still waiting on a polished stainless cylinder for my ‘ghost’ build which to be honest is the one I really wanted to finish first.

Last edited:
I sent Ted an email several days ago asking for an update and setting a February 1st deadline on the parts. I haven't heard back from him, and I believe he has once again gone underground. For any that still retain their paypal protection, I would strongly urge you to immediately file a claim before said protection expires. For a time I had regained faith in Ted, however, signs are once again strongly indicating that he'll simply end up pocketing our money and fail to provide the items.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back