Interest Steel Cylinders and Barrels for DaveChaos & AndersEFP Blade Runner Blaster!

Hello all, another update:
I have just received the 3d printed versions of the cylinder and barrel from DaveChaos. Very exciting :D The barrels are definitels a GO! With that being said, I can now see some previously unforeseen hurdles, specifically on the cylinder:

The piece that would be connected to the ejector pin on the loading side of a real cylinder is modeled into the cylinder as one piece on the Anders blaster. This is why you cannot use just any cylinder inside this model. Now, this would require way more precise machining, which means a lot more expense if it is indeed doable with my machinist's current shop equipment. Since all the other cylinders were done a certain way, I assumed this one would likely be the same (with perhaps a few length and diameter adjustments), and I ambitiously pursued this project which is totally on me.

NOW, I will still see what my machinist says about it and what we can offer. I am also open to ideas on this. Below, I have attached a picture of a Tomenosuke resin cylinder and the printed Anders cylinder. The section we are looking at is right in the center of the cylinder, between all the holes for the dummy rounds:
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg

Thank you all for the support on this project. As people of projects on this forum I'm sure you all understand the "unforeseen problems" that come with any project. I believe we can figure this out, but it might take some extra thought and time. Which, we aren't even at our run's minimum yet, but I want to be as upfront as I possibly can with each and every update.

-Ariston

Hello all, another update:
I have just received the 3d printed versions of the cylinder and barrel from DaveChaos. Very exciting :D The barrels are definitels a GO! With that being said, I can now see some previously unforeseen hurdles, specifically on the cylinder:

The piece that would be connected to the ejector pin on the loading side of a real cylinder is modeled into the cylinder as one piece on the Anders blaster. This is why you cannot use just any cylinder inside this model. Now, this would require way more precise machining, which means a lot more expense if it is indeed doable with my machinist's current shop equipment. Since all the other cylinders were done a certain way, I assumed this one would likely be the same (with perhaps a few length and diameter adjustments), and I ambitiously pursued this project which is totally on me.

NOW, I will still see what my machinist says about it and what we can offer. I am also open to ideas on this. Below, I have attached a picture of a Tomenosuke resin cylinder and the printed Anders cylinder. The section we are looking at is right in the center of the cylinder, between all the holes for the dummy rounds:
View attachment 1790841View attachment 1790842
Thank you all for the support on this project. As people of projects on this forum I'm sure you all understand the "unforeseen problems" that come with any project. I believe we can figure this out, but it might take some extra thought and time. Which, we aren't even at our run's minimum yet, but I want to be as upfront as I possibly can with each and every update.

-Ariston
Remember, you there is no such thing as the impossible, the impossible just takes longer ....:0p. One thing to keep in mind is most of that is used for cosmetics, since we are not making the cylinder rotate. However, I can understand a lot of people would like to have that there, for accuracy. Looking forward to see how everything turns out, and your next updates.

Just a thought, what if you made the center piece separate and slide it in. Maybe even 3D print just that center pin??
Not a bad idea! Thought about something like that actually.

Also dcast I Didn’t realize it didn’t rotate! Maybe we can machine something close but without the fins? I’ll explore all the options! Great ideas guys!

How set are we on the cylinder fins being there for show? I was unaware that this kit wasn’t able to rotate anyways, so honestly this would be a ton of extra work and cost for a cosmetic. I could have them machined like the Tomenosuke on that portion, and for those that feel they need that piece, perhaps a separate file can be made and you could have it printed in steel from shapeways? I want to offer what’s closest to Anders model, but to machine this out of steel would be overly complex. If you guys are okay with a plain steel cylinder that would still fit, we will go that route. ( I could also just have them machined flat there too.) I’d like to know your guys’ preferences before I make the decision.

How set are we on the cylinder fins being there for show? I was unaware that this kit wasn’t able to rotate anyways, so honestly this would be a ton of extra work and cost for a cosmetic. I could have them machined like the Tomenosuke on that portion, and for those that feel they need that piece, perhaps a separate file can be made and you could have it printed in steel from shapeways? I want to offer what’s closest to Anders model, but to machine this out of steel would be overly complex. If you guys are okay with a plain steel cylinder that would still fit, we will go that route. ( I could also just have them machined flat there too.) I’d like to know your guys’ preferences before I make the decision.
To be clear, the cylinder does rotate. I think dcast was meaning that it doesn't rotate via the trigger pull.

I would be fine with a cylinder that looks like the Tomen with a recess for the ejector star. Then we could print one to fill it in.

To be clear, the cylinder does rotate. I think dcast was meaning that it doesn't rotate via the trigger pull.

I would be fine with a cylinder that looks like the Tomen with a recess for the ejector star. Then we could print one to fill it in.
Orntar, you are correct and thank you for the clarification..."the devil is in the details"

I'm fine with it without the fins, However, Just curious has anyone tried to put a the cylinder insert ( part 8 in the picture) on the crane for the Anders build, I would be curious if we could machine out the center whole to accommodate an original part. If no one has tried, I can give it a go later today if you like.....it might be a viable option that would allow people to keep the accuracy of the build, without increasing costs on the cylinders.. Apollo IND, what are your thoughts, I don't want to complicate what you have going on...just considering options?

1708966438928.png

Last edited:
Please include me for interest in a blued cylinder. I think I'd be fine with or without the fins personally as long as it doesn't effect the functionality at all. The idea of that being a 3d printed insert also sounds promising.

I don't have my kit yet so please forgive my ignorance here, but what is the main motivation of a steel barrel over the included aluminum one? Is it the weight or will it just blue up nicer to look more accurate?

I'm fine with it without the fins, However, Just curious has anyone tried to put a the cylinder insert ( part 8 in the picture) on the crane for the Anders build, I would be curious if we could machine out the center whole to accommodate an original part. If no one has tried, I can give it a go later today if you like.....it might be a viable option that would allow people to keep the accuracy of the build, without increasing costs on the cylinders.. Apollo IND, what are your thoughts, I don't want to complicate what you have going on...just considering options?

View attachment 1793798
So I checked to see if we could easily incorperate that part and unfortunately it is incompatible with the Anders design...so I'll go back to my previous statement of, I'm good with no fins on my cylinder....also just for a side note the CA Cylinder is 36.67 mm wide and the length is 40.64 mm, while the Anders/Dave Chaos cylinder is 35.66 mm wide and length is 38.15 mm with out the fins...so a orignal cylinder would not work without some major work on either the chassis or the harded steel cylinder....so the option that Apollo IND is offering is a great alternative. Just a reminder that Dave's build is EXCELLANT, but to keep costs down the cylinder and the side covers are not metal. He mentions this in either his build thread or the thread for the run. I'm surprised more people are not jumping on this interest thread. So if your interested please share with your friends on the RPF.

Attachments

• IMG_3514.jpg
    IMG_3514.jpg
    828.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3513.jpg
    IMG_3513.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3512.jpg
    IMG_3512.jpg
    960.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thansk, dcast.

Someone (maybe even me) could design an ejector that fits the final cylinder produced here, then it could be printed in resin or metal like apollo said.

Please include me for interest in a blued cylinder. I think I'd be fine with or without the fins personally as long as it doesn't effect the functionality at all. The idea of that being a 3d printed insert also sounds promising.

I don't have my kit yet so please forgive my ignorance here, but what is the main motivation of a steel barrel over the included aluminum one? Is it the weight or will it just blue up nicer to look more accurate?
Thanks for your interest! It’s honestly a bit of both, the hefty weight as well as the way it looks when blued :) Everybody likes different finishes on this blaster haha.

Thansk, dcast.

Someone (maybe even me) could design an ejector that fits the final cylinder produced here, then it could be printed in resin or metal like apollo said.
That would be really awesome! Still talking with my machinist on options and getting his opinions. Updates are to follow!

Are the parts in question (cylinder and barrel) compatible with the "AndersFP PKD-2019 Blade Runner blaster" on Thingiverse?
I believe some tweaks have been made to the model for the Tip Top Workshop kits and DaveChaos' run but they seem minor and shouldn't affect these parts. Be nice to know if these parts will work for those of us going with DIY 3D prints?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get one of the metal kits but the waiting list for DaveChaos' run is HUGE so it's gonna be years before I'd get one, plus I'm in Australia with extremely strict gun laws so there's a high chance customs would stop it and destroy it. Doing my own is my best option

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back