Recommendations for threads showing stages of scratch Build?

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was going to post a request for good resources on building studio-scale scratch builds, as I'm a relative beginner. Then I thought it would be a better idea to be able to look through threads that document with pictures how they built their models, I know there are a lot of supremely talented individuals who carefully document their build, I think I could probably learn a lot from just reading though those threads.

If anyone can recommend any such threads with good images, please post links here :)

Thanks,

Simin

Well it's a bit self promotional/serving but...here's my threads. Also DaveG's thread on his Y-Wing build is really good. I'll try to think of more.

Anything by DaveG, or Moffeaton are excellent resources. Studio Kitbash is another.

There are several others, but I can’t think of their screen names at the moment.

I scratch built this Falcon

& with SteveStarkiller I'm making this RMQ Falcon

Not studio scale though

John

It’s not studio scale, but keep an eye on this thread too.

It’s not studio scale, but keep an eye on this thread too.

That's a good one, the kind of thing I was looking for. Most of the others I have looked at everyove is using 3d modelling, which is not the way I want to go. I am particularly interested in techniques for building physical frames for the hull, then skinning with styrene sheet. The particular ship I am looking at has an oval hull that tapers into an irregular cone shape. I'm fine at contructing large rectangular hulls, but find the curved stuff more challenging.

Scratchbuilding is not just one process. Its a variety of skills that get applied in a variety of ways depending on what you're trying to build. are you scratch building a specific part, a specific craft? are you building something completely new? Are you making something all greeblied up using kitbashing, or are you going for something smooth? As for a tutorial you can follow the work of others and you'll see the results but rarely the techniques employed.

Most people learn to scratch build based on trying to improve and existing model kit that they are not happy with... for me that model was the old MPC Millenium Falcon. I just hated that the model did not look like the picture on the front of the box.... or even close. I spent a lot of time raiding car and tank kits adding "stuff" to the side walls trying to make it closer. eventually I started cutting the model apart to get the shapes closer. Learning how to reinforce areas with styrene, putting to close the seams, sanding to reshape and smooth areas, priming painting wash rinse repeat. until I eventually had something that I still was not happy with but most everyone else thought was great.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you is there is no real tutorial - you just kinda need to feel your way... and once you get to a spot where your stuck as specific questions about what to do and get 15 answers... one of which will "click" for you and you try and likely get so -so results... but you'll learn a new "trick", and the next time you'll do better. We learn by doing.

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back