My SS TIE Fighter

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by swgeek, Jan 10, 2017.

1. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

So I've been working on and off on my Tie Fighter for about 6 years now. Most of that time has been research and kit collecting. Last year I finally started work on construction of the master patterns. I plan to mold the whole thing so that down the road I can make an Interceptor and a X-1 to go along with my standard TIE. Also, this will be a New Hope Version. At least that's the idea, there seams to be a lot more reference for the later TIEs, so if you see anything wrong let me know.

The first thing I started was the wing pylons. I started with the smaller ones, closest to the wings. it wasn't until I finished the patterns that I realized the smaller ones were probably a cut down version of the larger ones (the ones touching the hull).
    I started with a block of Renshape. Renshape, for those who don't know, is a super dense foam. It is or was a standard building material in the F/X business.
    [​IMG]

After I finished the master pattern I molded the master and cast up my first real part of my TIE Fighter. The two halves are the master and the one assembled piece is the cast parts glued together.
    [​IMG]

My next part to tackle was the larger wing pylons. I basically used the same technique on the larger pylons.
    [​IMG]

I didn't really plan out my construction, so I kind of jumped around from section to section. Next on the list was the tail end/ rear pylon cover. I started with a big block of urethane resin, chucked it up in the lathe and started shaping it down. My first pass was to get the outside diameter correct.
    [​IMG]

Next was to get the inside diameter correct.
    [​IMG]

After I was happy with the ID and the OD I shaped the outer and inner walls.
    [​IMG]

After I had the part separated from the block and the laser cut assembly of parts fit for the inner piece I started detailing the cover. It was at this point that I realized I had gotten some numbers wrong and the inner disk (the grey part) was too deep and the inner walls were too steep. Welp... back to the drawing board.
    [​IMG]

Next on my list was to start the armature. I started with the central aluminum piece. I had a piece of 1 1/4" stock that I turned down to fit inside my 1 1/4" OD pipe.
    [​IMG]

Here's the central piece finished.
    [​IMG]

And here it is attached to the outer pipes.
    [​IMG]

And as with the rest of this build, It took me three tries to get this part right. Gahh!
    [​IMG]

I'm now starting on machining the balls that make up the main hull. Man acrylic is brittle!
    [​IMG]

So that's where I'm at now. I took a break over the holidays but I plan on getting back to the construction soon. I'm a bit stuck on some parts though and was hoping some people who are better at the I.D.s than I am can help me out. For now I'm concentrating on the main hull and the wing stars, there's other areas I'll need help with, like the inner dash, Ceiling and wing arms. The color highlighted parts are the ones I can't seam to find. The green part I know, the red part looks right to me but I'm not sure and the blue and orange parts I have no idea. except that the orange parts look like part of a gun. I thought they might be ships guns but I've poured over my kits and any kit scans I can find with no luck.

[​IMG]

I'm also stuck on these parts on the wing. They are highlighted in red with a number next to the parts I don't know. I've included a non highlighted picture for clarification. I'd really appreciate any help that anyone can offer. I'm open to hints and educated guesses. If anyone has claim on the photos I've borrowed and wants me to take them down just IM me. Thanks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Nick K, jkno, knnyjay and 12 others like this.
  2. Govner

Govner Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the scale is wrong, but #4 looks like part#6 on the Lang.
    Lang_003.jpg

Very nice work so far!

swgeek likes this.
  3. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Thank you. And thanks for the possible ID.

4. dirtydave

dirtydave Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome work on the Tie.Really can't wait to see more.

Dave

swgeek likes this.
  5. Antarh

Antarh New Member

Having spent the better part of a year building my studio scale Tie based on an old and incomplete basic resin cast, I've found a number of useful resources for parts identification.
    This link is very useful. There are a few parts which have been incorrectly identified (as I discovered when I bought the associated kits themselves), some which are guesses, but overall very useful.
    You may need to create an account and log in to the page to access all its content.
    Let me know how you go.

Regards,
    Peter.

http://www.studioscalemodelers.com/forums/thread-1293.html

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    swgeek likes this.
  6. Govner

If I could ask - how does one access that site? I have tried to follow many links to information that would be helpful to me but I always land at the front page with no permissions.
    I have tried to create an account, but am told that function has been turned off by the admins.
    Is there a secret handshake that is needed? ;)

7. Antarh

Antarh New Member

Not as far as I know. I created an account several months ago and was able to log in and read through all the pages, so unless something has changed then I couldn't tell you otherwise.

8. joberg

joberg Master Member

Looking very good already. This is going to be some serious model making!

swgeek likes this.
  9. Govner

Thanks Peter - I have sent them an email to see if they will open up new account creation.
    Sorry to hijack the thread - now back to your regularly scheduled awesome Tie Build!

swgeek and Antarh like this.
  10. DaveG

DaveG Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

swgeek - I'm trying to send you a PM but your mailbox is full.

swgeek likes this.
  11. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Cleared up some room.

12. Voodoocaster

Voodoocaster Well-Known Member

Could you be so kind to tell which parts you found to be incorrectly identified over a SsModelers,
    Maybe we can correct them overthere and make that identification thread more accurate.
    Thanks

13. Antarh

Antarh New Member

I'll PM you so that we don't hijack this post.

14. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Not really sure why my photos disappeared. I'm working on it.

Antarh likes this.
  15. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Okay pictures are back, let's hope it stays that way.

16. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

So in my original post I forgot to thank all those TIE nuts who came before me and did the real leg work on hunting down the contributing kits for this model. So thank you! And a special thank you goes out to Julien (Monsieur Tox), Kevin (Beaz), dirtydave, joewhite and Alonzo Fonzo for helping me find some of the more rare and secret kits, thanks guys!! Sorry if I forgot anybody. If I did, drop me a PM and let me know.

I finished machining the acrylic hemispheres for the body of the TIE. What a pain! I went through 5 hemispheres to get them right. One I clamped down too hard and cracked it, two I shattered on the mill (boy when acrylic breaks it explodes) and two more actually worked out. Now let's hope I actually machined them correctly. I have to get out my box of kit parts and start test fitting to make sure that I got the measurements correct.

So here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  17. Govner

Beautiful work - I likey!

swgeek likes this.
  18. dirtydave

Hey Jonathan Great work on the cockpit ball.You need to clear you mailbox.

Dave

swgeek likes this.
  19. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Hey sorry Dave. I cleared out some room on the inbox.

20. Mustangkevin

Mustangkevin Active Member

This is just awesome!! Can't wait to see more progress.

swgeek likes this.
  21. joberg

joberg Master Member

Beautiful work already...yeah, don't talk about acrylic ball (what a pain that is:behave) Btw, what's the thickness of that acrylic globe?

swgeek likes this.
  22. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Thanks everbody!
    The ball is 5 1/4" dia and a 1/8" wall thickness.

Antarh likes this.
  23. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

SO nice and clean!

swgeek likes this.
  24. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bringing this to the prop party?

25. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

That's the plan. I'd like to get a lot more done by then though.

Jedifyfe likes this.
  26. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Alright RPF I need your help. I'm in search of a part from the vintage 1/700 Tamiya Shinano. I thought I had the vintage kit but I have the newer version which doesn't help me at all. If any one has this part and is willing to loan it to me so that I can mold it send me a PM. Thank you!

Shinano Part.jpg

27. Govner

I can get you the part, but your box is full

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

swgeek likes this.
  28. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Awesome thank you! I can't believe how fast my inbox fills up. I need to do some serious house keeping this weekend. Okay I made a little space. :)

29. Govner

PM sent

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

swgeek likes this.
  30. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Got it. Thanks.

31. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WANT!!!

swgeek likes this.
  32. emojo5

emojo5 Well-Known Member

Hi SWGeek.

Really nice build you have here. Love it. I've got a question for you. When you were cutting your acrylic spheres on the lathe, it looks like you first made a jig to hold the sphere half (brilliant), but it also looks like you filled the half sphere with expanding foam. Can you explain a little about that. Thanks so much.

-emojo5/ed m.

swgeek likes this.
  33. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Thank you! I've unfortunately had to set this project aside for the near future due to work, life, etc.

As for the jig, I cut two pieces of equal sized 3/4" thick mdf and screwed them together, making sure the edges were lined up perfectly. Next I drilled four holes for the bolts that were going to hold the jig together. I also drilled a pilot hole in the exact center for later operations. I then unscrewed the two halves of the jig. On one half of the jig I drilled a 4" hole, using the pre-existing pilot hole from the earlier operation. On the other half of the jig, I drilled three 3/4" holes within a two inch radius from the center. I then took one of my hemispheres and sprayed the inside with mold release. Once that was ready, I bolted the hemisphere in between the two halves of the jig, making sure not to tighten the bolts too much and crack the hemisphere...again (oops). Also the open end of the hemisphere was facing the three holes I had drilled in the one half of the jig. Once everything was secure, I poured urethane resin into the hemispere through the holes I had drilled earlier. I drilled three holes because I wanted to make sure the urethane would hold securely to the mdf. Of course urethane being what it is, it shrank a little bit once it cooled, but not enough to make a difference. Hope that helps.

34. emojo5

emojo5 Well-Known Member

Hi swgeek.

Thanks so much for responding to my question. Very helpful information. Will come in handy on a SS project that I doing right now. Thanks again for your thoughts and revealing your process as well. One last question, when you needed to cut openings that ran across the 2 sphere halves, did you create a new jig or did you cut the openings in halves (1 half sphere at a time). Thanks again.

-emojo5/ed

35. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

I basically used the same jig, now mounted vertically. Instead of using the top half of the jig I used a 3.5" disc with a center hole and ran a bolt all the way through to the back. I used this disk to bolt the hemisphere on to the jig. I discovered the hard way, that the back side of the cut need to be supported or the acrylic would shatter. So I clamped a piece of mdf against the back side of the hemisphere where I was making the cuts.

36. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Alright, so I've finally made some progress on the TIE Fighter.

Finished the inner wing pylons (cough...for the third time...cough)
    20180420_190329.jpg
    20180420_190405.jpg

Next it was time to scribe the ball (my least favorite part of model making, so hard to get right and so easy to screw up.) And add all the detail bits and kit parts. I realized looking at these pictures I forgot a tiny part above the wing pylon on the starboard side, I'll have to add that.

20180629_133530.jpg
    20180629_133601.jpg
    20180629_133650.jpg
    20180629_133657.jpg

Next I'll move on to the wing...orrr the dash, I haven't decided.

20180424_224230.jpg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  37. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Wow great work

swgeek likes this.
  38. dirtydave

Ball is looking great Jonathan.Can't wait to see more.

Dave

swgeek likes this.
  39. Snow Builder

Snow Builder Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, beautiful work. Can't wait for the next update.

swgeek likes this.
  40. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Thanks guys!

41. vectorzero

vectorzero Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How's it going. Keen to see more!

42. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Slooooowwwly!
    I haven't had a lot of spare time lately. I'm trying to fix some parts that were off and driving me nuts. Now I'm not sure if it was better before the "fix". Trying to work on it every day, a little here and there. I'll try to get more done soon.

43. joberg

joberg Master Member

Glad you're still thinking about this wonderful model(y)