The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by DaveG, Nov 14, 2015.

1. DaveG

DaveG Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"What?!" I hear you exclaim, "There was no Green Leader!"

Exactly! This project is of a Y-Wing that wasn't. I didn't want to get bogged down by which Y-wing had what kit part and what pipe configuration, etc. etc. I'm using all of the various reference photos of the different Y-Wings to create my own unique version. As I've said on other projects, every replica is an artistic interpretation of the original, this one is mine. Where possible, I'll use the correct donor parts and match the hull configuration but I'm not going to worry too much about it being exactly like the original. I already have some ideas for some areas where I want to change up the details a bit. And I've got a unique idea for the paint job, something that hasn't been done before. But more on that when the time comes...

The Y-Wing has been my favorite of all the models created for the Star Wars galaxy. I've toyed around with building one for many, many years, heck since I first saw the film in 1978 but just haven't felt the time was right. Well now it is!

The first step is to do an overall digital model that will be used for creating the main fuselage, cockpit, and the structural details. This model is going to be a one-off. No overall molds. I've got two Airfix Saturn Vs for the engines. The main fuselage will be massed up in plexiglas around an aluminum armature. The forward cockpit section will be modeled digitally and 3D printed. Then I'll either use the print or make a mold and cast it. As I said, some of the parts will be from donor kits, some will be digitally modeled and 3D printed and others will be built up from scratch.

Many thanks go to RPF member ProfKSergeev who has very generously loaned me quite a few of the donor parts he's been collecting for his Y-Wing project to mold and cast for mine!

Here are some pix of a very rough digital model of the Y.

Rhino Model 151114 view2.jpg Rhino Model 151114 view1.jpg

MORE ON THE "OPEN SOURCE" ASPECT OF THIS PROJECT

In an effort to encourage Studio Scale modeling I will be posting all of the files that I've created so that others can build their own Y-Wing models. Included will be 3D model files, 3D printing files, laser cutting files and other drawing files. Eventually I hope to have complete orthographic "blueprints" but that's going to take some time. The 3D printing files ARE NOT to print a completely detailed, ready to paint model, they are just of the bare fuselage sections onto which the kit parts are added. While being far from a complete model, this should allow people to get past the very difficult hurtle of starting a Y-Wing from scratch.

The 3D printing main fuselage files are intended for printing with added supports which need to be added by the slicing software. You can also have the parts printed at a service bureau like Shapeways.com. Their "White, Strong and Flexible" material works very well for these parts and is reasonably priced. The finer detail parts like the control vanes need to be printed in their Ultra or Extreme detail plastic to come out nicely.

Even with all these files, building a Y is still very much a DIY project and will require a fair amount of scratch building and head scratching! But I encourage anyone that's every wanted a model of this great fighter to take on the challenge. You'll get a lot of support here on the RPF.

I am also hoping that others will contribute to this open source project, improving on the work I've done with these files or in other ways. There has already been a major push to identify and map all of the kit parts used by the original ILM modelmakers. These efforts are fantastic!

OPEN SOURCE REPOSITORY IS HERE:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0BwDa06cjX-frNFY2d25BR0R5RUU

The following is a (more or less) complete list of all the various components that go into a "Green Leader" Y-Wing.

Note - All of DaveG's parts run are closed. But most of the 3D printing and other plan files for these parts are available in the Repository so people can make them for their own personal (non-commercial) use.

Armature - available from DaveG (run closed)
    Laser cut Tee Plate
    ½” aluminum spar tube
    ½” x ¾” aluminum C channel
    10-24 x 1” socket head cap screws (4)
    10-24 x ¾” socket head cap screws (8)
    10-24 x ½” socket head cap screws (2)
    10-24 x ¾” truss head machine screws (3)
    10-24 hex nuts (17)
    10-24 small pattern flat washers (16)

Armature mounting block - 3D printed

Nacelle cores – 3D printed or DaveG’s laser cut acrylic parts (run closed)

Main Fuselage – 3D printed
    Rear left shell
    Rear right shell
    Middle left shell
    Middle right shell
    Front shell
    Bottom yolk

Neck Fuselage – 3D printed
    Droid block
    Front sloped block
    Rear block
    Bottom “oil pan” block

Forward Fuselage – castings available from DaveG (run closed)
    Upper shell
    Lower shell
    Canopy
    Torpedo bay
    Forward laser cut bulkhead
    Read laser cut bulkhead (3 parts)
    Torpedo bay laser cut bulkhead

Cockpit interior – Scratch build with kit parts or a 3D printed one from Gus76

Engines
    Main body – AMT Saturn V first stage shells (2 kits required)
    Nose cones – vintage L’Eggs shells or DaveG castings (run closed)
    Tee Struts – Plastruct ABS ¼” Tees – 8 lengths needed
    1 ¼” Plastuct tubing (3 to 4 inches)
    7/8" Plastruct tubing (3 to 4 inches)
    Avid Thermalloy aluminum heat sinks (2)
    Tail shrouds - vintage L’Eggs shells or DaveG castings (run closed)
    Control vanes and “shocks” – 3D printed

Kit parts – Lots and LOTS of kit parts.
    See parts map threads for more information on the various kit parts needed.
    Engine greeblie/nernie panel castings are being offered by Masterpiece Models.
    Rumor is that MM will be offering additional kit part sets for the Y-Wing at some time.
    DaveG is not and will not be offering kit part castings!
    Studio Kitbash is offering sets of nernie castings.
    You will also need a variety of Plastruct tubing and/or brass and copper rod from 1/16” to 1/4” for the various piping details.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  2. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project

AWESOME. I love creativity in this vein.

3. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As do I :)

4. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

Love the Y.

5. ProfKSergeev

ProfKSergeev Well-Known Member

This is going to be exciting!

6. edspaged2

edspaged2 Well-Known Member

Love reading new builds! I also love your Death Star turret build too. I'm in the process of casting some of my bits. I have the hawker hurricane bits that I am going to cast for a y wing (engine block and valve covers?) if you need those bits I can send them to you in resin?

7. DaveG

Thanks, Mate! The Hurricane parts are among those loaned to me by ProfKSergeev but I greatly appreciate the offer. G' Day!

8. edspaged2

edspaged2 Well-Known Member

No worries!

9. DaveG

I've been working away at the digital model of the forward fuselage and canopy. Actually quite a few tweaks to the surface curves from the previous version. Overall I'm pretty happy with it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    mirdhim, knnyjay and struschie like this.
  10. IzzyMel

IzzyMel Sr Member

Looks great. :) What 3D software are you using?

11. DaveG

I use Rhino 3D. It's a great 3D modeling program. Not particularly easy to learn but they offer a 90 day demo version so you have lots of time to try it out.

12. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Great job so far :)

13. morrris99

morrris99 Well-Known Member

Heresy, I say!!
    Looks great so far. Have you thought out the paint job yet?
    I tried Rhino years ago but wasn't able to complete the training class. I have been messing with Blender a lot, recently.
    Are you printing this on your own 3d printer, or a service like Shapeways? I've had several things printed there with excellent results. Except there's lots of finishing to do, even with Frosted detail or White Strong Flexible. Love to see more progress on this one.

14. DaveG

I have a plan for the paint job and will talk about it when the time comes!

The biggest difference between Rhino and Blender (other than Blender being free and Rhino being not) is that Blender is a mesh modeler while Rhino is a surface modeler. I have seen some brilliant models done in blender but mesh modelers tend to be better at organic forms, like creatures, than hard surface models.

I will be printing some things on my printers and some might go to Shapeways. Too early to tell.

15. DaveG

Continuing to work out the details. Got the rear of the engines and the control vanes roughed in.

Engine Rear WIP.jpg

and the fuselage massing underneath right behind the cockpit.

Underside WIP.jpg

Which makes the overall fuselage massing more or less complete.

Fuselage Massing WIP.jpg

And now for the biggest change from the movie model... I've always felt the Y Wing was just screaming out to be a two seater. In the spirit of the great Fighter/Bombers like the A-6 Intruder. So...

Dual Cockpit 2.jpg

Gonna work it out.

Dual Cockpit 1.jpg

(I know, I know, those are X-Wing helmets! It's all I have in 3D for the moment.)

jontom, Bebop Design, Jeyl and 9 others like this.
  16. maxhebus

maxhebus Well-Known Member

Excellent idea. :)

17. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

If you count the 'droid unit, that would make it a 3-seater! ;^P

Perhaps more volume allowance for increased life support requirement?

Regards, Robert

18. DaveG

A good (Studio Scale) model starts with a good armature. The armature forms the rigid "bones" that everything else attaches to. This way you're not relying on cosmetic surfaces or resin castings to be structural as well. For my Y-Wing I've designed a hybrid armature, part aluminum, part 3D printed ABS. The main structure of the armature is a 1/4" thick aluminum Tee shaped plate that runs horizontally and also forms the wings. Running forward up to the cockpit is a 3/4" square aluminum tube. Running horizontally across the back edge of the wing plate is a 1/2" diameter aluminum tube. Each engine nacelle will have a 3D printed core that attaches to the aluminum plate with machine screws and also captures the ends of the 1/2" tube. The engine tubes from the Airfix Saturn V will be glued around the cores forming a strong and aligned structure. Bolted to the bottom of the plate is a mount for a 5/8" diameter tube for display. The 1/2" horizontal tube also runs through this block for added support. As this model is for display and not shooting I am not putting in rear or side mounts.

In these renderings the light grey parts will be aluminum, the dark grey 3D printed ABS.

Armature WIP1.jpg Armature WIP 2.jpg Armature WIP 3.jpg Armature WIP 4.jpg

Andrew C., mirdhim, knnyjay and 3 others like this.
  19. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

Ingenious design for the engine nacelles.

TazMan2000

20. DaveG

A small addition to the armature... I've decided to add a rear mounting point. Not for display but so I can stand the model up vertically when working on it and painting.

Attached Files:

21. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Dave, make sure and apply sufficient material to 'fair' in the aft support tube; your last image looks like it would concentrate the stress in the relatively narrow cross section of the where the tube mates to the ABS 'clamp'. Even better would be for the aluminum tubing to extend back into and past that 'joint'. Same issue probably with the bottom 'socket' due to the length of the 'neck' creating a significant moment arm. What are you thinking to secure the mount in the collars?

Regards, Robert

Nwerke likes this.
  22. DaveG

The block is still a WIP, but the rear mount will only be used to support the model vertically, nose straight up, for assembly and painting, never for horizontal display. Working out the moment stresses on the bottom. It may become a larger block to the extent possible by the fuselage. I'm also thinking about having the bottom block 3D printed out of a material that is carbon filled and very strong.

23. DaveG

Here are further refinements to the armature and fuselage. The support collars on the armature mounting block have been beefed up. The block forming the bottom mount will actually be visible as part of the fuselage. That allowed me to make it as beefy as possible. The main fuselage (blue pieces) will be 3D printed in sections that will assemble around the armature. In the renderings only the right side of the fuselage sections are shown.

Since the fuselage is going to be 3D printed anyway I considered combining the shells and mounting blocks into one set of parts but decided against it since I want to print the armature parts out of ABS or Nylon for strength and the fuselage shells out of PLA to reduce shrinkage and finishing issues.

Attached Files:

Nwerke, mirdhim, knnyjay and 2 others like this.
  24. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Oh yeah, baby! Awesome design work, Dave. Hmm. It occurs to me that the bottom mount 'pad' thickness could be reduced flush with the 'shell' (or is that part of the 'shell' contour?), plus with a matching hole in the 'wing plate', your mount tube could engage *through* the plate. Seems to be some room under the upper body 'shell'... and a sleeve of the mount material in an over-sized plate hole might make that bit of drill work less critical... aluminum is much easier to file slightly to fit a nylon sleeve than the other way around... even a pin adapter to provide a shear force linkage from the tube to the plate. Sorry, getting some involuntary brainstorming happening. Carry on, mate.

Regards, Robert

25. DaveG

There is actually a block projecting out of the bottom of the main fuselage on the film models so if I made the mounting block flush I would just be adding back to it anyway. The longer the mounting block the stronger it will be. I thought about adding a hole in the Tee plate but I like the idea of it forming the 'stop' for the display roof the bottom out on.

26. DaveG

HAPPY LEAP YEAR! The Y-Wing Project is going OPEN SOURCE!

Very soon I will be making all of the 3D printing, laser cutting, waterjet cutting and other dimensional files for the fuselage of the Y Wing available. To anyone that wants to download them. For free! The files will be available under a Creative Commons License, which will allow others to share, use and build upon the work that I've already created. The only conditions will be that the files cannot be used for commercial purposes, that is, they cannot be used to make and sell parts, kits or finished models. I will also ask that anyone that improves upon the files repost them under the CCL for others to share and use as well.

This won't be a complete 3D printable Y-Wing but rather a (more or less) complete armature and fuselage to which detail parts can be added. So there will still be lots to do to turn it into a finished Studio Scale model.

I've been wanting to open source a Studio Scale project for a while now and figured that the time was right with the Y-Wing, even though the project is still under development. First I'll need to get a Git Hub set up for the project, then I'll start uploading files.

Stay tuned!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    jontom, Nwerke, struschie and 9 others like this.
  27. moffeaton

This is stellar news! I have all the donors - this will make it feel like cheating to make a super-duper styrene one!!

Have you done the Canopy, engine plant-ons, and chin guns (also used on the small Death Star turrets and Vipers) that ILM injection molded?

28. DaveG

I've pretty much just modeled what you've seen so far. I'm not sure what engine plant-ons you're referring to.

29. moffeaton

There are a few pieces cobbled into a sub assembly on the engines that were injection molded, like the canopy, some guns, Sandcrawler treads. Dave Jones had some of the Y-specific parts, along with the guns. Nothing we can't do in resin - just was wondering out loud.

This is one piece, injection plastic, that ILM made once Lorne and Jon came on board:
    planton.jpg

You've done too much already for us jerks ;)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Nwerke likes this.
  30. DaveG

I did a test print and assembly of some of the armature and fuselage shells and that led to a bunch of mostly minor tweaks to the CG model. But one big change is that the main mounting block now has a stub that goes forward into the central aluminum spar. The spar will now be sandwiched between the Tee plate one the top and the block on the bottom, making for a very strong, rigid connection. The central spar has now also been changed from a 3/4" square tube to a 3/4" x 1/2" C channel, mainly because I had some of the channel on hand and not the tube, but also because the channel is plenty rigid enough to do the job and actually a little bit easier to attach to the redesigned main block.

Armature WIP 160301.1.jpg Armature WIP 160301.2.jpg

Here are a couple view of the 3D printed one piece main mounting block.

Armature WIP 160301.3.jpg Armature WIP 160301.4.jpg

Nwerke, mirdhim, knnyjay and 3 others like this.
  31. DaveG

The armature is assembled!

Here's the main mounting block that ties all the other parts together. There are bottom and rear sockets for a 5/8" diameter rod.

IMG_1437.jpg

The original plan was to have the top Tee plate water jet cut from 1/4" aluminum plate. I did a test fit with a piece of laser cut 1/4" plexiglas and discovered it was more than strong and stiff enough to do the job, especially with the 1/2" aluminum tube cross spar in place.

IMG_1432.jpg

The port and starboard nacelle cores. The Saturn V skins fit perfectly around them. There are hexagonal pockets on the inside to hold the #10 hex nuts for attaching the cores to the Tee plate.

IMG_1433.jpg IMG_1434.jpg IMG_1435.jpg

The aluminum center spar, cut from a piece of 3/4" x 1/2" C channel and the cross spar, a piece of 1/2" diameter tubing.

IMG_1440.jpg

The assembled armature.

IMG_1441.jpg IMG_1442.jpg IMG_1443.jpg IMG_1445.jpg

32. mvmagic

mvmagic Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow...totally blown away by this build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33. DaveG

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  34. moffeaton

Dave, this is a monumental moment in studio scale forum history. Thank you so much for your generosity!

So glad I picked Rhino for my 3D toolbox, too!

Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 6.52.30 PM.png

Nwerke likes this.
  35. bwayne64

bwayne64 Well-Known Member

Wow, just Wow ! This is my kind of project. I love using cg to design models. Sometimes, that's as far as I get , LOL. Thanks for the files, this is awesome. I hate to ask, but will you be sharing the file for the forward fuselage, please, please, pretty please, ;) I know I'm greedy. Great project man, love it ! Cheers,

Joe

36. DaveG

You're welcome! I'm hoping maybe to start a bit of an Open Source movement here like you see with the R2D2 Builders Group.

So I'm still working on the forward fuselage and cockpit. I'm inclined to share it, but the 3D printing costs on those parts would be fairly high, at least to print right. Consumer FDM style printers could be used to yield a fairly good shape that could be sanded and filled but those kind of prints are a bear to score cleanly. The right way to print them would be using an SLA type process, like Shapeways' Frosted Detail plastic, but the cost would be around $300 per set and parts made of those type of UV cured resins tend to warp over time.

I am considering though possibly going ahead and having those type of high detail prints made, then molding and doing a small run of parts to sell to cover the cost. We'll see.

Nwerke likes this.
  37. McGraph

McGraph Active Member

We should start a sticky in the studio scale modeling where everyone can post up there blueprints the want to share and links to 3d models. Any new users would still have to dig through the threads to get a good accurate model but it would give a good base for everyone to start at. I know Maruska has some impressive blueprints and I have seen a really nice set of blueprints for the esb at-st around.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

38. moffeaton

If you want an alternative from Shapeways, my friend Jeff at PCS has some heavy duty high end 3D printers with excellent competitive rates. His parts are nicer than Shapeways.

I can PM you his email - here's the company website:

http://pcs-am.com

39. DaveG

Jason,

That would be great, thanks! I'm always on the lookout for new printing vendors. The ones here in Los Angeles tend to be more expensive.

40. DaveG

Speaking of the foreward fuselage... I tweaked things a bit, especially with the Torpedo bay on the bottom, finished up the layout of the score lines and added the little plates to the surface. Pretty happy with it at this point.

Forward Fuselage WIP 160306c.jpg Forward Fuselage WIP 160306d.jpg Forward Fuselage WIP 160306b.jpg Forward Fuselage WIP 160306a.jpg

Nwerke, mirdhim and knnyjay like this.
  41. DaveG

Hey does anyone have a better picture of what's going on here, on the backside of the torpedo bay? What kit parts are used, etc? It looks like they actually protrude out of the shell a bit. Thanks!

TORPEDO BAY BACK.JPG

42. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

I think several parts make up that area. The main one is from the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane, it's the same one used on the top and bottoms of the engine spars.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  43. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

Yes it's trimmed from a wing root casting

swpropmaker likes this.
  44. DaveG

I thought it looked familiar, thanks guys!

45. vfxsup64

vfxsup64 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Beautiful work Dave...fantastic!

Regards,

Andre

swpropmaker likes this.
  46. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

The last time I saw something similar and as cool as this was the ESB AT-ST blueprint by Q, Allan, Julien, and Lee (excuse me if I missed anyone).

It's also a good thing I use Rhino!

Thanks so much for this, Dave! I've put quite some time into my own research but without my kits and material for another 9 months, I have been slow at any progress.

Don (talkierg) has been helping me with my research while I am out of the country. I'll use these files to actually start cutting plastic. Very exciting!

Joe

47. joberg

joberg Master Member

Thanks for sharing your wonderful work with the board Dave; really cool:cool

48. bwayne64

bwayne64 Well-Known Member

Thanks Man,
    For the forward fuse, I would probably just scratch build it. The 3d model would just help with the dimensions. I wouldnt try to print it myself. Unless I get a 3d printer that is. I've been thinking of building one. I figure I can build one for 3 or 4 Hundred. Great project, Cheers,

Joe

49. DaveG

A couple members have sent me PMs asking if I will be posting fuselage files. The answer is a (qualified) yes! I've been printing (and re-printing) the main fuselage to work out the fit issues. Once that's done I will be posting the Rhino and STL files which can be either 3D printed, or used as the basis of a scratch build. Maybe another week or so before they're ready.

I am also worked on a series of YouTube videos for this project. Stay tuned for more on that!

EDIT - Sorry, the YouTube videos never happened.

50. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Good job, Dave. Sharing feels good, doesn't it? ;^)

Back to sanding my engine dome 'buck' made from an plastic Easter egg half...

Regards, Robert