NASA ACES suit disconnects

Not really. The quality of the master part has a huge impact on the molded /cast part. An aluminum master will give you a cast part that looks much better than molding a plastic master. Unless you are extremely skilled at surface finishing, you will never get the same surface on a plastic printed part, that you can get on a machined / polished aluminum one.

There is still one thing I'm not comfortable with and that is, how close is the bearing groove to the locking spring groove. It's only 0,25mm.
I am going to make some design changes to solve this problem.

Attachments

• groove too close.jpg
    groove too close.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 294
Given you have two cylindrical radii perpendicular to one another, it's only .25mm at about .25 mm in surface area. So it probably doesn't need to change.

Has any progress been made on finding a vendor to machine the rings? (I don't have a vendor in mind, I'm just curious) And are the CAD files available or for sale anywhere?

I've been following this thread for a few years now and I'd like to thank everyone that's contributed reference images and mechanical advice. I've finally finished a set after a few months of work on breaks between semesters. There's certainly a few changes I'll be making on my next set and I haven't put the Open/Lock on it yet but I'm happy with them. These will be going on my S1034 U2 suit and hopefully on an ACES when I get around to sewing one those.
tempImage35UpQw.jpg

I've been following this thread for a few years now and I'd like to thank everyone that's contributed reference images and mechanical advice. I've finally finished a set after a few months of work on breaks between semesters. There's certainly a few changes I'll be making on my next set and I haven't put the Open/Lock on it yet but I'm happy with them. These will be going on my S1034 U2 suit and hopefully on an ACES when I get around to sewing one those.
View attachment 1380575
Great work on the disconnects

Hi everybody,

yes, this thread was inactive for a long time. There was no real progress with the machining. I was contacted by some great members on this forum and they are working on their disconnects.
Right now I will be selling the 3D models for 3D printing or machining if anyone is interested. Just send me a PM.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back