NASA ACES suit disconnects

Some photos of final assembly of the prototype rings. After some small adjustments everything is working nicely.

View attachment 1736088View attachment 1736090

View attachment 1736089View attachment 1736091

A couple of modification I will make for any in the future sets.

1. Make the slots that hold the springs slightly deeper to stop the spring rubbing on the bottom of the locking tab. Really small maybe only 0.15mm deeper. This was cause one of the tab to catch and not operate smoothly. This is a small machining error likely due to the part being slight off centre on the rotary axis.

2. I will reduce the height of the bearing cover section that sit down into the bearing track, mine were slightly proud, this was easily correct with some gently sanding. Initially the bearing wasn't running smoothly but after adjustment they are running much better.

3. Anodising colour adjustment as previously discussed above.

I will get some photos of the the completed set in some better light.

If there is still interest the small run of these I will make a limited number.

Excellent entertainment while putting them together
View attachment 1736087
Awesome work Alex!

Started on the neck/helmet ring
Neck Ring 1 v4.png

I have been doing some work on improve the machining setups in preparation for the small run of these is intend to make. the mounting is now a single operation which is mush more efficient

You can see the 4 tabs hold the ring to the central core, always surprise me that it is strong enough, we use this technique regularly and often save on complex workholding and fixture.

The tabs are then snip off and finished by hand.

IMG_2806.jpg
IMG_2802.jpg

I have been doing some work on improve the machining setups in preparation for the small run of these is intend to make. the mounting is now a single operation which is mush more efficient

You can see the 4 tabs hold the ring to the central core, always surprise me that it is strong enough, we use this technique regularly and often save on complex workholding and fixture.

The tabs are then snip off and finished by hand.

View attachment 1761563View attachment 1761564
you do know that i wish to order one upon their completion. thanks

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back