Keep it up, man, you'll get there!!

Just seeing the pics of those raw pulls is so satisfying. Can't wait to see more!

It's shown doing this is possible. It's just matching the methodology to getting the exact casts to have and work with that's proving to be the trick.

New forge arrived and I've already assembled all the necessary things to get it up and running. I've not got time yet to burn out residual moisture from the factory but I will soon, and I'm ready to have another crack at making this, especially to put some new ideas to the test with!

Perfection is not just the mad obsession of an irrational compulsion, it can be an obtainable goal. Case in point was today's casting...

After a year of trial and error, I have done it: the perfect cast.

Everything is filled in and as detailed as the cavity was. Truly, truly can't be happier with the results. Below is the comparison of the cast to Starkiller's V2 and my 3D printed buck.

This one will be made into a V2 and then I'll see about getting some more alu stock to melt down, and perhaps a larger, industrial propane tank to last the many casts I'm looking to make.

A very special mention goes to Mouse Vader for reaching out to me and giving me some advice on getting better results. All of this was really possible because of his input. Thanks very much indeed, friend!

that's incredible. You even got the pommel solidly cast and just have to mill the cubes! it does also look a lot like Vadermania's cast

not familiar with machining, is there a huge drill bit to hollow out the body for the pommel or do people carve it open on a lathe with a little chisel?

I wish. There's a lot more work to it, unfortunately. It's a long cutting tool which is just a bit on a long shaft, and because the hilt isn't completely straight or cylindrical, it spins out of center and often catches on the tool and "kicks" on the lathe.

As per the pommel, I cut it down on the lathe (machining it hollow is the same but easier) and then put it on my mill to make the cubes. The steps in the cubes, as I figured on my previous casts, is most likely because the folks who originally made the prop had to lengthen the gap between the cubes and the flange to lock it into the main body.

Personally, I'd chop it into several parts (emitter to mid-neck, rest of the body, then pommel all separate). Is that not what was done with the originals? Anyone know?

Starting with the body, I'd set up a steady rest, and get that sucker indicated in as best as possible, then center drill the pommel-less end. Once you've got a live center in the end, you're good to go with machining.

Really cool to see this, awesome work!!!!

EDIT: And yeah, you could either use a boring tool, or use drills, up to the largest drill you've got. Biggest I've got I think is 1". Then boring tool to get that hole the exact size you want. Unless of course you've got a drill the correct size.

That's what I do, piecing it out, put the bottomless end in the chuck as that's what the original cast looks to have been done.

Your process on how to bore it out is exactly how I do it. I don't have a large drill because my benchtop lathe couldn't handle the size of the drill and the drill adapter to hold it. I drill it and then use a boring tool to get it to size.

Last edited:
Now you're cooking bro. Really happy to see such a nice casting - happy I could help you out.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article too.

I think...I'm ready...

IMG_7241.JPG

I've managed to accomplished what I believed to be a stretch when I started this project: I have faithfully replicated the sister stunt sabers as well as the the cast "blank". I've successfully managed to add the V3 and the blank to the roster with the only caveat is the "bite" mark of my steady rest. It is the only compromise I've managed to get away with for the the finished hilt blanks. As far as cast blanks goes, there are some warts that I cannot compensate for, like a few impurities randomly appearing on the surface or some pinching/blow-holes. Although I do my best to factor in and compensate for these occurrences, so much of it is just random chance where they appear; if they appear at all. Despite these, I can produce a near-perfect cast every cast now. Every detail fills in and creates a very solid piece, there are just going to be a few warts that I cannot account for unfortunately, per cast.

Although, the details are incredibly sharp considering...

IMG_7231.JPG

As far as machining these go, they all present a challenge. I thought it would be easier to machine the V3 but there are details I wish to replicate and a few ideas that I incorporate to replicate them, that just make it as difficult as the V2 to reproduce. The V3 body, and the booster, are machined, the grenade section and windvane only lightly, and the emitter face and emitter "body" lightly, too. The rest is just sanded down. One detail that I'm really proud of faithfully replicating, besides the difference in girth of the grenade and body sections, is the thin, uneven emitter plate.

IMG_7249.JPG

....A detail I believe to be a direct result of it the cast being naturally off-center and because of machining. So much of this is left untouched (the undercuts and the grenade ring depths being two areas), it really adds fuel to the idea that the V3 was something made last minute.

Again, one detail I can't avoid is the bite mark on the body because of the steady rest. I can lessen it but it's just something I seemingly can't avoid due to the softness of the cast alu and because of how wonky the shapes of the casts are. I place them where they'll hide under the clamp all right but it's one compromise I have to make.

If anyone is still interested in this project. I'll be editing and seriously start work on the the run soon. There will be more photos and more background information to the project, but due to recent changes I've had to make in the casting process and equipment I had to acquire to be able to machine this project, some options are going to have to be changed. Please stay tuned for that.

I think...I'm ready...

View attachment 1048882

I've managed to accomplished what I believed to be a stretch when I started this project: I have faithfully replicated the sister stunt sabers as well as the the cast "blank". I've successfully managed to add the V3 and the blank to the roster with the only caveat is the "bite" mark of my steady rest. It is the only compromise I've managed to get away with for the the finished hilt blanks. As far as cast blanks goes, there are some warts that I cannot compensate for, like a few impurities randomly appearing on the surface or some pinching/blow-holes. Although I do my best to factor in and compensate for these occurrences, so much of it is just random chance where they appear; if they appear at all. Despite these, I can produce a near-perfect cast every cast now. Every detail fills in and creates a very solid piece, there are just going to be a few warts that I cannot account for unfortunately, per cast.

Although, the details are incredibly sharp considering...

View attachment 1048883

As far as machining these go, they all present a challenge. I thought it would be easier to machine the V3 but there are details I wish to replicate and a few ideas that I incorporate to replicate them, that just make it as difficult as the V2 to reproduce. The V3 body, and the booster, are machined, the grenade section and windvane only lightly, and the emitter face and emitter "body" lightly, too. The rest is just sanded down. One detail that I'm really proud of faithfully replicating, besides the difference in girth of the grenade and body sections, is the thin, uneven emitter plate.

View attachment 1048884

....A detail I believe to be a direct result of it the cast being naturally off-center and because of machining. So much of this is left untouched (the undercuts and the grenade ring depths being two areas), it really adds fuel to the idea that the V3 was something made last minute.

Again, one detail I can't avoid is the bite mark on the body because of the steady rest. I can lessen it but it's just something I seemingly can't avoid due to the softness of the cast alu and because of how wonky the shapes of the casts are. I place them where they'll hide under the clamp all right but it's one compromise I have to make.

If anyone is still interested in this project. I'll be editing and seriously start work on the the run soon. There will be more photos and more background information to the project, but due to recent changes I've had to make in the casting process and equipment I had to acquire to be able to machine this project, some options are going to have to be changed. Please stay tuned for that.

This is remarkable. Thank you for sharing, and detailing some of the observations you've made about the process and how they ended up with the product they did. I'm subscribed to this thread, and will be one of the first in line should you do more than the original run :)

I honestly almost can't believe the detail right out of the mold!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back