Building an Old Obi Wan ANH Lightsaber questions

IndyFanChuck

Sr Member
Hello friends! Wow, I can’t believe I’ve been a member of THE RPF this long. I’m an old man! Hahaha!

So, I had a question. Are there any companies out there that sell the individual parts to put together a weathered/aged Obi Wan A New Hope lightsaber?

I have several reasons I want to put this together over time, piece by piece. The first of which is I’m teaching my young son about patience! It’s a project I thought he and I could do together. Second I like the thought of taking my time on my build. We live in the USA, and I’m not new to replica props BUT I’ve never built a lightsaber. Ever! So I’d love some advice on my idea.

Yes I know I could buy it all in one purchase. I’m not interested in doing that. It’s not the plan. Not gonna do it. Lol

If there are companies that sell the individual parts and pieces for us to make our own weathered Old Obi WAN lightsaber, would you all mind sharing that info with me, please? If there are companies I need to avoid, that’s great info as well.

Thank you all for your help and I appreciate it!

Sincerely,

~Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_7433.jpeg
    IMG_7433.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_7444.png
    IMG_7444.png
    14.2 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7416.jpeg
    IMG_7416.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7439.jpeg
    IMG_7439.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
Hi,
I would say the very best OBI saber replica ever made is the one that DaveP here just finished, you can contact him and see if he has any left over parts from the run, but it was very successful so I doubt it.
The very best before this was Roman props, he is also a member here and a greta guy as well and you can look for his website online, he sells all the parts individually. They are very good. DaveP just went the extra extra extra mile this time for accuracy and sourcing of the actual materials that were used for each part, but both are VERY good options.
good luck on your project with your son :)

There are pros and cons to every replica made thus far. I can find something I would personally change with every single one to make it closer to a real part or the production photos, so just go with something that is available and in your price range.

-RussRep/Serafino first run replicas are still some of the best for boosters, balance pipes, and grenades ever made. Not easy to find these days. Some of the later runs, especially for the boosters didn’t maintain the correct booster profiles.

-Roman’s are still available and based on his in hand real parts with some modifications made to be closer to the chronicles.

-DaveP’s run is just finishing up and probably not available, but they are very well made and we did a lot of research together to add some details and materials to his run that others hadn’t necessarily known or done before.

Thank you guys for the input! Sadly, I can’t afford the original parts only build. I’m totally fine using replica parts. And if it’s not 1,000% screen accurate, that’s ok. It’s a fun build for me and my son.

We’re just hoping to do it piece by piece. And “close enough” parts are fine. I hope that makes sense.

The problem I’m facing today is I have NO CLUE what the individual pieces and parts are called on the ANH Obi WAN lightsaber. So that’s problematic. Because all these sellers have their “parts” for several different lightsabers for sale under “parts.”

But I don’t know what the parts are called! I feel so dumb.

on
Thank you guys for the input! Sadly, I can’t afford the original parts only build. I’m totally fine using replica parts. And if it’s not 1,000% screen accurate, that’s ok. It’s a fun build for me and my son.

We’re just hoping to do it piece by piece. And “close enough” parts are fine. I hope that makes sense.

The problem I’m facing today is I have NO CLUE what the individual pieces and parts are called on the ANH Obi WAN lightsaber. So that’s problematic. Because all these sellers have their “parts” for several different lightsabers for sale under “parts.”

But I don’t know what the parts are called! I feel so dumb.
This specific hilt is usually refered as Mk1. On Roman’s webpage you can check the Mk1 kits, he has a description to each and a list what the kit contains, then you can check and compare them in the parts listing.

Two good options in the junkyard. Could always get it all now and still part it out to build with your son as you learn about the parts.

Chuck,

Tom here, and I wanted to offer my 2 cents.

This saber is COOL! it's going to be a great project. I don't think you'll get the same experience out of this if you jump in with your credit card before you know what the heck you're buying, what the heck you're building. I built mine in parts too, swapped out parts over the years, etc. and it's really fun. I encourage you to look into this thing and learn about the wild decisions made for this prop.

My easy starter explanation - The team in 1976 used a lot of aircraft scrap. They used a lot of ww2/ww1 scrap as well. Because of what was easily available at the time, what looked interesting enough, etc. There were also a lot of audio parts, electronics, etc. thrown all over the set. In one way shape or form.... the team ended up with a grenade and the balance pipes. I think the grenade is visible here in one of the first prototype photographs at an early meeting.
images.jpg

Somewhere along the line they stacked the aircraft burner pipe, grenade, Graflex clamp, Browning flash hider/booster and sink knob all together. They decorated the clamp with some electronic components (TI calculator display like the Graflex and MPP, and some ICs, made by Marconi Elliot and some random beveled washers)
obi-ultimate.jpg

now, we don't really know how it was held together. This photo is after filming wrapped. look at how damaged it is! On screen... it's in nicer shape.
screencapsDeathStar.jpg

Cantina.jpg

I personally think the tunisia version has a flipped grenade body, the end in the clamp was up near the neck, and some other weird stuff going on. They literally filmed on another continent, maybe there was some mix up trying to transport everything over there.

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 9.07.48 PM.png

Anyway, isn't that cool! I personally think they used a couple rubber gaskets inside the emitter, letting it get crooked at times. a threaded rod running through all or most of the saber is how we hold them together, nuts at both ends sandwiching the parts together.

here is mine after YEARS of swapping out parts for more interesting ones, and re-fitting parts to be more realistic in how they're held together because I handle my props constantly
IMG_9464.jpeg
IMG_9463.jpeg
IMG_8235.jpeg
IMG_7341.jpeg

there is a "lightsaber bible" that is up to date as of a few years ago. There are a few new discoveries since this was updated.
Lightsaber Guidebook – WannaWanga

Here's a crazy idea: Build TWO sabers. If you acquire it one piece at a time, once you get each part, what then? Build a hand fabricated version of that part! You'll develop skills and techniques that will serve you for any other saber you want to build. Once you've created what you consider a perfect version of the part, order the next part. Then create a handmade version of that. An so on, and so on. When you're done you'll have TWO sabers. One you built and one you created. I have two versions of this saber myself. While I like the machined parts saber just fine, the one that's mostly hand fabricated is nearer and dearer to my heart, and I cherish the journey and the skills I developed. I think you'll feel the same.

Further context on history of the parts identification by the RPF over the years, and a bit of discussion.
I hope there is something useful for you in there.

Last edited:
If patience is what you're after in doing a project with your son, have you considered the Fanhome Millennium Falcon subscription model? Not a prop per se, but a 1 to 1 reproduction of the filming miniature (with some interiors).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back