What is the timeline looking like on these? Any chance we'll be able to get them shipped in time for Christmas?

I'd like to but it's unlikely, should have the blades and guards cut and milled by then. It'll just be moulding and casting up the handles which will take the most time.

It's all good - the Mrs wanted to get it for me for a stocking stuffer... I'll wait until you're done then nab one for you.

Update: 05.12.18

20181205_180849.jpg

Exciting times! I have some blades and guards in hand! They are 6mm thick and feel really great. Next is to visit my local machinist to get the grooves milled in. He is also turning me a master for the handle.

20181205_180941.jpg

I also have the handle inserts from Shapeways in polished brass. These are so cool and teeny tiny, 15mm diameter. These will be the masters for moulding and casting up cold cast parts. Will also be available on Shapeways to purchase is you want to upgrade your kit.

Last edited:
Interest list updated, should have everyone there now, sorry for missing a few peeps until now

Will cap this at 15 to begin with, with any more going on a 'standby' list, which will possibly go into a second batch list. This will just account for any errors that may happen in the first batch. There may be a couple spare from the first batch when everything is ready.

Any chance of sharing the link to shapeways for the upgraded imperial inserts now?

I could, but want to make sure everything will fit together well beforehand, which means I want to get the handles cast first so I can test it all out

If you dont have anyone that is wanting to take the 15th spot I will take it. There is a fellow trooper in my squad that wants one but is not an RPF member.

Sure thing VogonPoet

Just a little update where we're at. The machinist now has the blades for milling the slots. He also had a rough handle to show me, but left it there for tweaks. Had difficulty with a wood master, so has switched to steel, which looks great! but of course won't have a grain. This means I'll try out some different casting options, but may go for a brown/black bakelite look. May also try with some casting filler to try and simulate wood. In any case, just an update for everyone :)

I would think that a bakelite material/finish would look just fantastic. Russian AK47/M/74 bayonet handles used to be made of it and it looks pretty cool.
bakebayo-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
any update on this?

Hi, machinist is still finishing off the handle. Once that is in my hands I can start moulding and casting. He'll then move over to milling the blades. If I had to give an ETA I would say I'm aiming for around February at the latest to be getting these out, just because there's a few bits and operations to do. I'm sure everyone's taking a break this time of year.

This is awesome! I would love one, but I'm a little tight on money at the moment. If there's an opening in the potential second batch I might take it. I will reply back to this thread if I'm interested.

Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back