New BMF coming

Hey guys,

First let me state that I'm basically a lurker to this site. I'm a novice customizer but come here to look at the exceptional work you guys do, I'm constantly amazed. Also, the few times that I've asked for advice have always been responded to with helpful info and without making me feel like a complete idiot. Much appreciated.

Anyway, I started this thread when I first heard about this Falcon coming from Hasbro because I wanted to customize one and I knew a lot of members here would be interested and would do amazing things with it. Also, and more selfishly, because I knew I'd learn a lot from watching techniques used here.

Recently I considered starting a thread specifically for photos of completed Falcons, figured it would be a one-stop thread to view everyone's work since there a so many threads of WIP Falcons. Would this be a good idea, or simply add to the confusion?

Lastly, I have an old 1979 Kenner falcon and was curious if anyone had tried cutting and trimming the sidewalls to match this falcon. Mine is boxed in storage and I started to dig it out to measure, then it occurred to me that someone may have tried this already.

Anyway, thanks and keep up the good work.

Jim

Hey guys,

First let me state that I'm basically a lurker to this site. I'm a novice customizer but come here to look at the exceptional work you guys do, I'm constantly amazed. Also, the few times that I've asked for advice have always been responded to with helpful info and without making me feel like a complete idiot. Much appreciated.

Anyway, I started this thread when I first heard about this Falcon coming from Hasbro because I wanted to customize one and I knew a lot of members here would be interested and would do amazing things with it. Also, and more selfishly, because I knew I'd learn a lot from watching techniques used here.

Recently I considered starting a thread specifically for photos of completed Falcons, figured it would be a one-stop thread to view everyone's work since there a so many threads of WIP Falcons. Would this be a good idea, or simply add to the confusion?

Lastly, I have an old 1979 Kenner falcon and was curious if anyone had tried cutting and trimming the sidewalls to match this falcon. Mine is boxed in storage and I started to dig it out to measure, then it occurred to me that someone may have tried this already.

Anyway, thanks and keep up the good work.

Jim

Starting another thread is a good idea, but........most here (me included) are never finished with their little projects. Im into mine a days worth of upgrades. Waiting on the side panels in resin before any more shots.

Starting another thread is a good idea, but........most here (me included) are never finished with their little projects. Im into mine a days worth of upgrades. Waiting on the side panels in resin before any more shots.

Good point. Mine is still sitting untouched while I'm painting 2 other models to refine my weathering skill (like I said I'm a novice).

I'm also considering some resin parts (mainly side panels & koolshade style vents with inserts underneath). My hesitation lies in the fact that I've never worked with resin parts & I don't know if they are "plug and play" or require lots of trimming, etc. I've also read that the plastic this Falcon is made of can be hard to cut correctly so removing the stock vents worries me (as well as how to deal with the support strut under one of the vents).

Issues such as these are one of many reasons that the forums here are a major asset to someone like me, I gain lots of info just following the threads. I basically learned painting/weathering from online tutorials and reading tips in posts, so thanks again.

I'm hoping to determine if I'm up to resin add ons by watching you pros add them.

I was hoping that someday someone would make a compilation thread with all the different Falcon builds, painting/weathering posts and different upgrade kits. Theres so many threads its hard to keep up [emoji14]

Hoorah Jimmer thank the maker :) I wondered if you were going to check in, I bet you didn't think that you would be starting such a popular thread.

The trouble is, this is the consolidated thread, if there are to many threads then starting another is just going to make that even worse in the long run?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping that someday someone would make a compilation thread with all the different Falcon builds, painting/weathering posts and different upgrade kits. Theres so many threads its hard to keep up [emoji14]
The problem is that everyone is posting various builds on other peoples build threads. This specific thread here is a general thread which is great for general discussion and throwing out ideas. There have been people that have started their own build thread designed to show off their specific build and techniques. This is how the RPF has been used in the past. Usually when people start the thread by saying "My Hasbro Millennium Falcon Build", this should usually cue those that read that participation is welcome, but as it pertains to that person's build. When other people start posting their builds on those threads is where it gets confusing. I'm not saying that is the only way it should be done, but it is much easier to keep track of who is doing what and where to reference. This of course is my opinion.

Cross posting definitly doesn't help. My bookmarks are getting chaotic.

(I love all the Falcon threads and I'm glad theres alot of them by the way)

Hi Guys!

Randy Cooper has posted new photos of his upgrade kit on Facebook, I love the details on the rear exhaust control flaps, I might be considering getting those..I really like the look of it...makes it more powerful...

10403358_10153018942865238_882108947018524846_n.jpg10405473_10153018942720238_3503072403751186626_n.jpg10888377_10153018942710238_3264092061922725834_n (1).jpg10906221_10153018942855238_8896424708020921902_n.jpg10945708_10153018942830238_8776156525662906179_n.jpg

Lear60man's post made me realize the flaw in my thinking. I was trying to solve too many threads by adding another thread...:$.

Hoorah @Jimmer thank the maker :) I wondered if you were going to check in, I bet you didn't think that you would be starting such a popular thread.

The trouble is, this is the consolidated thread, if there are to many threads then starting another is just going to make that even worse in the long run?

Don't take my lack of posts as a lack of interest, Spacebob. Like I stated above, I lurk here frequently to learn and admire the great work you guys do. I started this thread because I saw potential with this model but needed the "guidance" that u guys could provide.

That being said, I was amazed to see how this thread took off. (Amazed and grateful).

I'm hoping someone who gets the resin add ons post a little info about application, I'm interested just worried about the complexity of a couple. Mainly the cockpit.My local wmart has 1 Falcon left which I'm considering grabbing as a backup.

Picked up another today for $30, only two left and one box was opened and missing the dish/cannon. Get out there and get one if you haven't already.

I'm also considering some resin parts (mainly side panels & koolshade style vents with inserts underneath). My hesitation lies in the fact that I've never worked with resin parts & I don't know if they are "plug and play" or require lots of trimming, etc. I've also read that the plastic this Falcon is made of can be hard to cut correctly so removing the stock vents worries me (as well as how to deal with the support strut under one of the vents)..

As far as resin, I'm a total novice, just having learned how to cast parts a week ago - specifically the engine vents actually. The stuff is great to work with so far - it sands beautifully, it cuts nicely, and at least the type I'm using (Alumilite Super Plastic) is tough enough to have fallen on the floor a couple of times. I'm going to take the belt sander to it to see if I can get the discs thin enough just to lay into the vents, because, yeah, cutting perfect circles out of this Falcon S-U-C-K-S. It's possible (I've been using a scriber to go round and round the circle to form a groove for the knife to follow, then heating it and cutting). You can clean it up a bit with small, curved files, and it SEEMS to manually sand okay with some fine-grit wet-dry paper. It's time-consuming though, to be sure - I've been working on the cockpit window frame for a couple of nights now and am still not done. I also saw someone earlier talking about taking a lighter to the fuzzies which are left after filing, and while this works for me where I've tried it, I find it a bit scary as the plastic heats up FAST. Last, the only thing I can think to do about the support though is to use something like Spacebob's internal structure template and build a wooden rig to hold her together, which given how floppy the ship is anyways, might not be a bad idea regardless.
Summary? My advice, being in EXACTLY the same boat you are, is to just jump in. I started by cutting the legs off and by cutting the notches just to get a feel for how this stuff cuts and files, but have since done the cockpit windows and the vents on the docking arms. Take your time cutting and be prepared to spend some more time than usual on a kit smoothing out your work, but this is totally do-able, even with limited experience.

"Just jump in"; Good advice. Nothing beats experience & practical work. If worried about major screw-ups, go out and find those clearance items; helps one's confidence knowing there is a backup in the box (I now have three - just in case!)

Cheers!
Robert (still looking for time to play with my MF WIF...)

helps one's confidence knowing there is a backup in the box (I now have three - just in case!)

I WISH. In Canada the thing was never in stores, just the website, and Walmart has not felt it neccessary to drop the price on it yet. Frustration prompts me to propose a moritorium on people talking about how they picked one up from their local store for ten bucks, punishable by flogging. Who's with me?

Last edited:
Ulp! Sorry, dude... ;^(
If Big Wally only knew they could sell 'em for half the price and have three times the volume, they might give it a swing... everywhere.

BTW, I did pay full price for the first two, if that helps.

Regards,
Robert

My advice said:
Yeah me too I'm in the same boat as well. Its my first time modeling a spaceship normally I do tanks and armored stuff. My MF will have interior details and removal outer panels. You are right this model is a challenge as it has structural issues... very flimsy, to counter this I plan to build up the interior walls and reinforce it using 2-3mm styrene sheets.

I finished the cutting of the cockpit windows, have to be very careful. My cutting technique is to use a normal blade cutter, first a very light cut, and then repeating the cut up to five times with gradual increase of effort. On the sixth cut I will press the blade in one small area until it pierce the plastic on the other side, then slowly rocking the blade front and back until the whole blade slide through. I then slice cut the remaining line until the cut is complete. I know it is time consuming approach and you must have a steady hand, but so far I never needed to heat the plastic and it gets the job done.

As for the engine circles, I used the Olfa Circle Cutter shown below. There are two types of these, one with a rotary circle blade and one with a normal cutting blade. I use the normal cutting blade to cut the engine grilles off.. Try practice cutting first on a used plastic sheet before attempting on the MF. The best thing about this as it has a ratchet type handle on the top so your hand wont need to turn 360 degrees, 45 degree steps is ok.

2043_olf3.jpg

Attachments

• 31rcOMDQkqL.jpg
    31rcOMDQkqL.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Neat tool - am I right in thinking that the pic you posted is actually the rotary version? I think I've found the compass version, but it lacks a number of the black doo-dads on your pic.

The one i posted is the compass version with the single cutter tip. The rotary version has a circular cutter..cant use that for the engine grilles.

Hi guys, while at the hardware store I saw these 10A wire Connectors, I think I will try to use them as engine details...

They will be set much more inner than what is shown in the picture. Then I will cover it with Randy's PE grilles or just make the rectangular grilles by styrene....
Also since these are opaque I want to see the effect it has when my blue LEDS are mounted at the back. Just waiting for my strips to arrive....

IMG_20150130_120349.jpgIMG_20150130_120403.jpgIMG_20150130_123331.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Timmythekid and JPCOdessa70,

Thanks for the moral support...nice to know I'm not the only pioneer here.

I have to say my confidence is improving. my original plan for sidewalls was to trim down the sidewalls on my old Kenner Falcon ( I realize this would be sloppy but figured it'd be better than flat decals). Then decided to go with Tony's resin sidewalls, really love his vents with fan inserts underneath but didn't feel up to challenge. Now I've decided to add the vents and build styrene supports as suggested earlier.

Now I'm even considering playing around with resin casting. (Still plan on Tony's vents, but wanna pick up casting for future projects). I'm starting to see how easily one can be pulled into this hobby. I have 6 or 7 other Hasbro ships, including BMF, that now loom as future projects...lol.

Also, thanks everyone for cutting suggestions (hairdryer also is a great technique). As I stated earlier, I started this thread here 'cause you guys are the experts.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back