The Nine Gates - NEW PHOTOS (page 12)

Re: The Nine Gates - COMPLETED

Clutch is correct.

I have not gone back through every post I made in this particular thread, but I did not state that I wouldn't sell them, nor that it would stop at the single prototype. I did state in the beginning that I had intended to bind all three copies.

There were also some behind-the-scenes events that could not be witnessed publicly. I was on the fence as to whether I would do a run for sale, but because I got a flood of PM's from interested parties, I decided to clear my schedule enough for a limited run. I'm making very little cash off these. Most of it goes into material for other projects -- daily work not related to props.

Cheers!

I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE, that i can pick up one of your copies. I have a replica from the only maker here on the RPF, but would LOVE your's.

Just found this thread, fabulous project, thanks for sharing the documenting.
I've always loved fictional illustrated "antique" books in movies and this is a good (? - :rolleyes ) one. I have a rather nice reproduction of The Grail Diary from Indy J and the Last Crusade.

No untoward after effects or unexplainable occurrences, I trust, once the book was completed?

If you're looking for another project there were a lot of "old" occult books in the Buffy, Vampire Slayer Tv series with lots of very neat "woodcuts and engravings". Too many to do but maybe a compendium of all the best pages in one book would work.

I've seen some really nice real books and must say bookbinding is a terrific artform. Only if I had more time in my life to learn it.

Cheers!

Heh, the grail diary was one of the first books I had bound years ago. I didn't know anything then of what I know now -- now I wish I had done a few things different!

No untoward after effects or unexplainable occurrences, I trust, once the book was completed?

Oh no, not at all. Out of the hundreds of books I've bound so far, none of them have ever exhibited problems -- endpapers peeling, endbands becoming loose, something becoming detached, etc. I have yet to get a single piece of negative feedback. Which means it's bound to happen sometime.

--I've thought about those books, honestly. But I don't think I'd have time to pursue them when fall comes. I'm getting ready for a years-long deluge of historical binding and repair/conservation of valuable books in NY. Some of that time will be collaborating on reproductions of Gutenbergs and the Nuremberg Chronicle, and others. So the clock is ticking on what projects I can work on before that time comes.

I should have clarified I was thinking "supernatural after effects or unexplainable occurrences"

Ha! Man, my head is loose or something. That's the third time I failed to get something today!

Now that you mention it, the cats have been unusually disturbed, the lady has been having trouble sleeping, and I actually enjoyed a Miller High Life the other night. Hm.

Ha! Man, my head is loose or something. That's the third time I failed to get something today!

:behave think everybody knows such days :lol :wacko

Thanks for the video Flattery :thumbsup Personaly i would like to see, how you attach/tuck in the leather at the top and bottom spine (behind the sewn bands) :love

And many thanks again for letting us being part of the process :love
All that "stuff" is why to me, no technical device will ever replace a REAL book.

Personaly i would like to see, how you attach/tuck in the leather at the top and bottom spine (behind the sewn bands)

That can probably be done if I can find someone willing to capture the video for me. I really need both hands in order to do it. I do need to be careful, though, on how much how-to information I give. The world of bookbinding is pretty cut-throat, and it's generally frowned upon to freely give out how-to information and it affects one's reputation.

All that "stuff" is why to me, no technical device will ever replace a REAL book.

Agreed! They can't be replaced. And if you drop one, it still works!

That can probably be done if I can find someone willing to capture the video for me. I really need both hands in order to do it. I do need to be careful, though, on how much how-to information I give. The world of bookbinding is pretty cut-throat, and it's generally frowned upon to freely give out how-to information and it affects one's reputation.

Total understand your point Flattery :thumbsup
If it is possible i would highly appriciate it. If not i do understand that.

Agreed! They can't be replaced. And if you drop one, it still works!

lol, another good reason :cool :facepalm

I know you said it was a personal project and you would not make any .
well thats cool can i ask what your asking i would be int in one if its reasonable :)

sorry saw the Junkyard price
not something that interest me

I know you said it was a personal project and you would not make any .

By performing a search of the thread it is shown that I did not say that. Please do not troll the thread.

Have a good night.

Last edited:

Some new photos.

The new one is on the left, the original prototype on the right. The new version has aged page edges and an ivory linen 18/3 endband for better screen accuracy and historical accuracy. You can also see that the new version's pentacle has been slightly scaled down to be exactly to scale with the props.

In this photo the new version is in the foreground. The lighting really brings out the texture within the pentacle, and the bands on this one are more sharp than the prototype (I used thinner hemp).

Close-up of the pentacle tooling and 22k leaf:

And three more of the new one. In these photos you'll want to make note of the trimmed edges, the precision corners and endband beneath the caps.

Any questions, ask away.

Cheers!

Dude that is just beautiful. And Planet, you need to learn some forum etiquette.

Re: The Nine Gates - NEW PHOTOS (page 7)

Congrats Flattery. Awesome work. I do like the smaller pentacle and the embossing on same.

May i ask the final size of your book? For the cover and/or the pages itself?

And a "tecnical" question on the pentacle. How many tools (i think different sizes needed)
you need to do it?

Indeed a work of art. Just a smaller decoration band that's not so close to the border, and it would be perfect! (I mean: more screen accurate)

Thanks, folks -- I do appreciate it.

May i ask the final size of your book? For the cover and/or the pages itself?

And a "tecnical" question on the pentacle. How many tools (i think different sizes needed) you need to do it?

The final size of the covers are 6 3/4 x 10 in. The textblock itself measures 6 1/2 x 9 3/4. Overall the measurements are just slightly off from the prop, but this is a function of not knowing the size of the original sheets used. I'm using 19x26 sheets, which is pretty standard and seemed a good choice.

There's also a bit of overhang where the covers extend out from the pages. This overhang was intentionally increased (the props didn't have much) so as to keep the pages protected if they were to ever sag. Sometimes they do over time if the book is stored upright, and sometimes they never do. In case they did, even by 1 mm, I didn't want them exposed by having a short cover overhang.

I use 4 different straight line pallet tools (seen on the first page of the thread) for the pentacle lines -- numbers 6, 10, 11 and 13. The interior of the pentacle is done with one tool rocked around in different directions, so there's 5 total.

Just a smaller decoration band that's not so close to the border, and it would be perfect! (I mean: more screen accurate)

Right -- that's the next one I'll be doing for another member. This one that I posted pictures of was tooled by request to match my original. The next one will be as screen accurate as I can make it without sacrificing any stability or durability. Stay tuned!

Right -- that's the next one I'll be doing for another member. This one that I posted pictures of was tooled by request to match my original. The next one will be as screen accurate as I can make it without sacrificing any stability or durability. Stay tuned!
Looking forward to that one!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back