Random blaster pistol project?

Depending on how much "too orange" it looks - like I said, this is an effect of brightness. Brightness is reduced by using dark matte colours as undercoats.

So... depending on what you currently have on hand, you may be able to get to a comfortable colour by doing some layering. Matte black or maybe even a really dark blue or red (depending on which way you're trying to shift the colour) could have an interesting effect. This does assume you've other paints on hand, of course; and I would strongly suggest experimentation on scrap objects.

Well, it's come along nicely so far... I think it still needs "something" more, but not sure what. Suggestions?

Attachments

• 20230326_154726.jpg
    20230326_154726.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 75
  • 20230326_154746.jpg
    20230326_154746.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 69
Would the black wash in the grips be better with flat, satin or gloss black?
Agreed on the Crossman branding on the grips, I'm just not sure what to do with it... Maybe it stands for "Corellian Gun Works?" :D

Usually I use a the cheap $1 water based acrylic black paint. Some times I do a diluted water wash a sometimes I just brush/wipe on a coat and quickly wip it off with a paper towel Which would probably be okay to do with the texture of your grips.

That is how I did the weathering for everything on the Poe blaster:

And the mini probe droid:

Last edited:
An old standby for easy coverup is 3M bump ons. Not very original but effective. Otherwise you might want to see what you have hanging around in your parts/junk box that might fit the area. Or 3D print something if that’s an option.

Where are you getting $1 acrylic? About the only well-stocked hobby store around me is Michael's, and their little bottles of acrylic are about $6. :(

Great job on the other projects! I'm still new to prop-building. I did build a couple hundred plastic models when I was growing up, though.

An old standby for easy coverup is 3M bump ons. Not very original but effective. Otherwise you might want to see what you have hanging around in your parts/junk box that might fit the area. Or 3D print something if that’s an option.
Sorry, I don't know what the 3M things are? No 3D print options here, either.

Where are you getting $1 acrylic? About the only well-stocked hobby store around me is Michael's, and their little bottles of acrylic are about $6. :(

Great job on the other projects! I'm still new to prop-building. I did build a couple hundred plastic models when I was growing up, though.
I am not talking about the model paint, I am talking about those small plastic bottles of craft paint. You should be able to find them at $1-3 depending on brand at any craft store or in the craft section of Target and Walmart.

Oh, does anyone think I should add the 3 brass rods and wire on the left side of the pistol also, or is just right side okay?
I'm thinking of some kind of short tube on the left side for a scope or something, most blasters seem to have extra tubes on them for one reason or other.

I am not talking about the model paint, I am talking about those small plastic bottles of craft paint. You should be able to find them at $1-3 depending on brand at any craft store or in the craft section of Target and Walmart.
D'oh! I generally avoid Walmart, so that didn't even occur to me. haha!

Oh, the stick-on bumpers. I have some here for drawers n' such. Not big enough to fill-in or cover the "C" though. Can you paint those?

Oh, does anyone think I should add the 3 brass rods and wire on the left side of the pistol also, or is just right side okay?
I'm thinking of some kind of short tube on the left side for a scope or something, most blasters seem to have extra tubes on them for one reason or other.
Maybe run a wire from the end and run it into greeblie like the DH-17 in A New Hope. If you do a tube on the other side, you could use it to run a wire to a scope. Check out how the wires run on this thread: Field Marshal DH-17 Rebel Blaster

Also, I would hit the brass tubes with a black coat of paint then lightly rough them up with some steel wool.

Maybe run a wire from the end and run it into greeblie like the DH-17 in A New Hope. If you do a tube on the other side, you could use it to run a wire to a scope. Check out how the wires run on this thread: Field Marshal DH-17 Rebel Blaster

Also, I would hit the brass tubes with a black coat of paint then lightly rough them up with some steel wool.
I'll check out that thread, too. btw, I love the model camshaft on the side of the DH-17! :lol:
I had thought about the light painting on the copper pieces. (I meant copper, not brass.)

I really appreciate all the help, your builds are fantastic!

Somewhere along the line I've gotten the impression you're a fellow Canuck. If that's true, you and Mara Jade's Father are talking at cross-purposes because he's quoting American pricing.

Anyway, I also generally avoid Wal-Mart but for cheap acrylics (for making washes, or painting bases on minis, or other things where you're not trying to capture a lot of detail just cover things up) Dollarama and Dollar Tree are pretty good sources, at least out here on the prairie. Alos a great place to find all sorts of random junk you can repurpose into greebles.

I've got some tips, and I've been meaning to do another air pistol blaster, so this is very inspiring.

3M thingys are bumpers. Like... in the home section of a hardware store there are rubber dots or squares on sticky paper. They stuck those all over guns and sets on star wars, granted you might need glue to get them to stay on but they do look the part.

I would also recommend trying to find model kits. Like used ones, trashed, missing parts etc. on ebay or at thrift stores sitting on a shelf, or something. dig through them and try and glue some of those parts to areas of your gun that need detail. Spray paint over the whole thing

I would recommend trying to extend the rear of the gun. It's a little forward heavy at the moment, a bit more heft sitting over your hand would balance out the design a bit better. On that rebel blaster they actually moved the grip forwards. The machine gun its based off of also had a folding stock and needed two hands usually.

Found another tid-bit to add, two, actually.
I've glued on one, and included a picture with the second one just set in place.

Attachments

• 20230414_184620.jpg
    20230414_184620.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 48
  • 20230414_184656.jpg
    20230414_184656.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 54

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back