New(?) Field Marshall Steel C96 - Constructive Criticism and Hopeful Improvements

Vanitas

Sr Member
Since sitting down on my computer this afternoon I've probably written and rewritten this post about half a dozen times in an attempt to properly convey my thoughts and feelings, which was no easy task. But it was important to me that I take this quite seriously, so I think (I hope) that the end result reflects the very real consideration I gave this.

To begin with, I would just like to say that I do NOT believe in the value of simply tearing down the work and efforts of others, regardless of anything else. Given my 13 year presence on theRPF I would hope that people on this website trust me enough to know that I am not an individual prone to baseless complaining, unnecessary nitpicking, or worse, simply hating. What I express in this post post can and should most likely be written off as little more than my own personal opinion, and one that others may not agree with at that. This may even be a non-issue that I am simply blowing out of proportion.

But with that all being said, I feel that I have to levy some critique at Field Marshall's steel Mauser replicas, at least in their current incarnations.

To begin with, I am a repeat customer of Field Marshall (Chris), having now bought two of his steel C96 replicas, multiple Hensoldt replica scopes, and at least two ANH scope mounts from his website. I bring this up both so that I can attest to my familiarity with his product, but also to show that I have and am still willing to purchase from him in the future. The steel Mauser replica remains, at least to me, one of the crowning moments of theRPF and an enormous step forward for those of us wanting to make our own DL-44 replicas without using antique Mausers, the soft-cast Denix, or the ever-scarce MGCs. The very first steel C96 I bought from Field Marshall was from his first-generation run of Mausers, which to this day I still am finishing.

Recently I had purchased a second steel C96 from Chris with the intention of beginning a second Hero DL-44 soon afterward, and while the addition of the accurate 2813 serial number engraving is a much appreciated improvement all its own, some of the cuts and machining on the rest of the Mauser itself seem to be rather a regression in accuracy.

Most prominently, the receiver's internals appear to have been overmachined to the point where there are quite apparent holes in the trigger hole, something which was not the case in Field Marshall's older Mauser.

20231104_141401.jpg

You can see that the inner channel was machined too far, which caused it to break through the wall of the trigger guard.

20231104_141422.jpg

Compare this to the first-generation steel C96 that I have:

20231104_142227.jpg

Secondly, the lower receiver's grip frame appears to have been similarly gouged along the flat. Compared to the older generation C96, which shows a seamless transition, the newer one has rather apparent gaping between the grip frame and the wooden grips as a result.

20231104_141521.jpg

20231104_141433.jpg

Once again, you can see how the first generation steel C96 has the upward sweep seamless and without overcut:

20231104_141443.jpg

But what I think is unfortunately worse than either of those are the strange changes made to the slide/barrel assembly. Along the upper rails there are square mill marks that have notched along the underside creating an odd "stepped" effect, which after taking some measurements from my old Mauser, cannot be sanded down without making the rail shorter than it should be. This is NOT a case of not enough metal being taken off; if it was then I would have no problems with it:

20231104_141609.jpg

The older steel C96 has no such oddity:

20231104_141623.jpg

Moving higher up along the rails, the cuts to the tops of the rails has been changed quite drastically, and as far as I can tell, is no longer accurate to either the screen-used Hero prop or any other example C96 that I have seen. Rather than having a quarter-round sweep upwards, the back half of the slide assembly's rails have been deeply milled at harsh, 90 degree angles that create an odd cut-in appearance more akin to a Denix than a real Mauser.

This is another case of too much material having been taken off, and as far as I can tell is not something that can be corrected without welding additional material back on.

20231104_141652.jpg

Compared to both the older one (correct transition):

20231104_141720.jpg

And the Hero's:

16252844499272.jpeg

Let me make it clear that were these issues oneoffs unique to my own C96, less obvious, or even simple things like deburring or smoothing then I would have absolutely no problem writing them off and fixing them myself. But after doing some research I can't help but come to the conclusion that this is a batchwide problem. Notably, I have since gone back and noticed the very same miscuts and issues in several of the more recent Hero builds as seen in some of Scott's never videos. You can see what I mean below:

Screenshot (1612).png

The upper in Scott's video features the same flat, 90 degree overmilling on the upper as opposed to the quarter-round transition, as well as the cut-in notches at the very front of the upper's rails.

Screenshot (1615).png

Along with the same internal overcut creating the holes in the trigger opening.

Perhaps I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but to me these issues just really bother me.

A lot.

And I really do feel bad about pointing out some of these flaws because I KNOW just how much work making these replica Mausers must be, and I really do have a ton of respect for Chris and everyone else involved. I sincerely hope that it's clear that I'm trying to come from a place of love, and wanting to see things be better.

If these issues are indeed a batch oddity then I would not only have no problems with paying for the return postage to Field Marshall, but ALSO covering Chris' own postage should he be willing to send me a replacement C96 once these tooling oddities have been addressed in the distant future. That is how much I really stand behind this.

Once again, I just want to say that I really do hope that I'm wrong and that these are not widespread issues with Field Marshall's current Mausers.

Chris has also done a lot for me as far as supplying me with replacement components that I've needed, and while I might be a returning customer of his I do fully acknowledge that he never had to help me out like he has. He's done so simply because I asked, which shows his integrity to me. All of that has helped me out a great deal, which is why I didn't want to make a thread like this lightly. I did and even still feel somewhat nervous that this all might be taken the wrong way, when all I am hoping for is to appeal to that same integrity to get some kind of answer for these changes, and maybe, see them fixed.

Thanks for reading all.

hans-solo-salute.gif

Last edited:
Excellent post. I'm sorry to see those issues and I get how frustrating that is.
I too respect the replicas Field Marshall makes, but I always wanted his Mauser to better reflect the Hero details in a few areas. There are a few people who have tried to influence his designs but with no luck.
When I first heard people talking about his newer replicas I hoped it would mean some corrections. I'm crestfallen to see there are issues instead.
Hopefully some discussion can take place to recognize and resolve!

Thank you all, it's a very large relief to know that these issues of mine are not just 'me problems' or nitpicks that I have. Please believe me that I did NOT take making a thread like this lightly; I very much struggled with deciding whether or not it would have been appropriate of me.

I guess my primary feelings are that if (and ONLY if) these issues are indeed a batchwide problem, then I don't necessarily think it is appropriate for Chris to sell them as-is without disclosing them upfront. Perhaps having some kind of 'factory second' option with them listed at a small discount might be appropriate, although that may be ignorant of me.

Regardless of that perspective of mine I really do want to say that I HOPE that this can all be taken as constructive criticism, and that I don't want this thread to become some kind of hole of negativity. Field Marshall's DL-44s are and always will be a beloved prop kit to me, and it's my genuine hope that these errors in production are nothing more than a small stone in the road he's briefly stumbled over.

Our goal still lies far ahead.

I See! and im sorry that its not up my usual standards but that run will not be repeated and that steel Mauser will no longer be made ... It is a very complex and heard machining project and maintians the perfection is really dificult.
Its just not worth it ,, maybe some one else can can take the time to machine one out of steel again but the cost and the time factor compared to how many sell is just not worth it... Im am continuing to make the aluminum version ( maybe ) for a time. thx for the constructive criticism ill try to do better in the future.

I See! and im sorry that its not up my usual standards but that run will not be repeated and that steel Mauser will no longer be made ... It is a very complex and heard machining project and maintians the perfection is really dificult.
Its just not worth it ,, maybe some one else can can take the time to machine one out of steel again but the cost and the time factor compared to how many sell is just not worth it... Im am continuing to make the aluminum version ( maybe ) for a time. thx for the constructive criticism ill try to do better in the future.

Hi Chris,

Firstly thank you for being understanding of some of my concerns, I was very much worried about expressing my thoughts in a way that was both respectful and without ill intent. Secondly I am also sorry to hear that the steel Mausers will no longer be made, although I completely understand that they are doubtlessly complex and quite cost intensive.

That being said, I do have to ask if you might potentially have any remaining steel Mausers from an older production batch that do not have these issues? If so then I would GLADLY cover absolutely all return and shipping expenses for both myself AND you for a return/swap so that there no cost to you whatsoever, given that there will be no more of these made. If that is not an option then please let me know, as I will gladly await whatever potential solution might be available.

Thank you very much.

I see what you're seeing, but want to say those are not from any kind of running change that was made. Most likely one of two things happened... fixtures or machine setup wasn't done right or moved by whoever was running the parts on that given day those were made. Something was out of spec... and whoever was running parts, didn't have the eye for the detail.

Most likely since a part came out generally looking like it's supposed to they never caught on to the issue, and just put them in the bin as done and dusted.

There wasn't a change to the program or models, etc.

Chris' sentiment to not produce anymore saddens me too, but he's made something affordable... yes... this is affordable... with an insane amount of difficulty in producing... in a material that is super time and tool consuming to make.

They just don't sell in any significant number to make it worthwhile unfortunately. People buy denix and aluminum versions in multitudes of higher numbers than the steel ones sell.

As someone who runs a small business I can attest to this in terms of continuing to produce certain items. The cost and labor involved have to balance out with the return on investment. As much as fans like us don't want to make it about money, ultimately if your livelihood is dependent on these things, you have to strike that balance. There are tons of things I want to produce, but ultimately funding will be a determining factor in decisions going forward.

As for this particular issue, it is a shame that Chris will discontinue the All Steel versions of his Mauser replicas, but I can empathize with the rationale to stop production. I will say that the Aluminum offerings are absolutely stellar as I own one and I'm very, very happy with it!

As someone who runs a small business I can attest to this in terms of continuing to produce certain items. The cost and labor involved have to balance out with the return on investment. As much as fans like us don't want to make it about money, ultimately if your livelihood is dependent on these things, you have to strike that balance. There are tons of things I want to produce, but ultimately funding will be a determining factor in decisions going forward.

As for this particular issue, it is a shame that Chris will discontinue the All Steel versions of his Mauser replicas, but I can empathize with the rationale to stop production. I will say that the Aluminum offerings are absolutely stellar as I own one and I'm very, very happy with it!

I would certainly agree that the steel C96 is no small endeavor for anyone else willing to take on their challenge, and I also quite agree that it is disappointing to hear that they will (soon?) be discontinued, although I wholly understand why.

That being said I'm once again completely willing to do whatever it takes to acquire a steel C96 without any of the aforementioned minor machining errors, even if that happens to include trading my MGC for anybody else's secondhand steel C96, ot even paying for one to be freshly/custom made; either by Chris, or somebody else (although I would very much hope that Chris' current inventory might still have some without these flaws and that he would be amendable enough to a return/swap if I cover all shipping fees involved).

The cuts on the upper is more important to me given that I could theoretically fill in the holes in the trigger guard with JB weld due to the lower of the Hero being painted anyways, although as mentioned, I certainly don't mind paying for both to be addressed.

Money is NOT a problem for me.

If there aren't any other replacements available, it's not easy, but you can use solder to potentially remedy these errors in your Mauser. You'd prep the surface with some sandpaper, flux the area, and then solder the gaps to fill them in. After that, it's just ungodly amounts of elbow grease to shape and blend it into the remaining area. It chemically darkens pretty well and can easily be made to match the steel.

On the bright side, since Field Marshall won't be making anymore steel versions, that leaves a vacancy for another to do a Steel run, now. Hopefully we can get one that dry fires like a real thing without it being like the real thing (obviously).

If there aren't any other replacements available, it's not easy, but you can use solder to potentially remedy these errors in your Mauser. You'd prep the surface with some sandpaper, flux the area, and then solder the gaps to fill them in. After that, it's just ungodly amounts of elbow grease to shape and blend it into the remaining area. It chemically darkens pretty well and can easily be made to match the steel.

On the bright side, since Field Marshall won't be making anymore steel versions, that leaves a vacancy for another to do a Steel run, now. Hopefully we can get one that dry fires like a real thing without it being like the real thing (obviously).

Unfortunately I had already been arranging plans to have this most recent steel C96 be professionally rust blued like a real C96, so I don't think that's an option for me. So until I can get a version of the steel C96 that just does not have these flaws, I'm going to have to put those plans completely on hold.

Last edited:
I purchased a steel Hero kit back in Early September and it looks like it has the same issues you had pointed out. So it seems like this has been ongoing for at least a few months. Not sure how many they make per-batch but this could be a multi-batch issue. Hopefully you're able to find one to your liking, Vanitas!

I purchased a steel Hero kit back in Early September and it looks like it has the same issues you had pointed out. So it seems like this has been ongoing for at least a few months. Not sure how many they make per-batch but this could be a multi-batch issue. Hopefully you're able to find one to your liking, Vanitas!

I'm sorry to hear that, as well as the fact that these issues(?) have been supposedly ongoing for that long. At least personally I find the milling on the upper to be more of a nuisance than the holes in the lower, as those at least could be conceivably filled and painted over on a Hero build.

Mostly I would just like a answer/possible resolution to this from Chris before I start grinding on any of the parts, as modifying his parts would understandably make them impossible to return/exchange.

Field Marshall

Is there anything that can be done at this point or are all remaining steel DL-44s of substandard machining quality? I just saw this thread yesterday but am in a similar boat as Vanitas.

I do want to say that I think it is a bit harsh to categorize these C96 replicas as "substandard quality" because they have minor machining defects, even though I will be the first to admit that they bother me. I have no doubts that the steel Mauser project is one that required an ENORMOUS amount of work and investment, both monetarily and otherwise; and simply writing them off as "lesser than" or such feels like it does not acknowledge both how much time and effort went into the project as a whole.

Having outwardly close to accurate replicas of a Mauser C96 was a dream project for a large amount of RPF members for many years, and I think I can speak for much of us that the realization of that was a dream come true.

Ultimately I would say that I am in agreement that I would very much hope that there are at least some remaining steel C96s without these particular defects, but at the same time I don't wish to minimize or dismiss the great work that went into them regardless. Should the aluminium replicas not have these aforementioned flaws then I might even be interested in purchasing one of those too, even if I would prefer steel as a medium; simply because I still want to support the kinds of people who have done and continue to do great work for the community as a whole.

I'm not in any way trying to belittle Chris's work on these. He himself described them as not up to his usual standards, which is by definition, substandard.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back