QMx & Other New Sonic Screwdrivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: QMx Sonic Screwdriver Thread

They just put up a series of messages on their Facebook page essentially telling people that there was no progress on the Artisan Enterprise, Stargate Zat or BSG stein. So I'd guess the sonic screwdrivers are off the table.

I didn't read where they said "no progress"? Here is the QMx Facebook quote:

"We've noticed there have been a fair number of posts regarding the status of our Enterprise replica, and rather than respond to them individually, we want to offer an update.

Here's the scoop: We're hard at work on it. Developing an Artisan Replica of the Enterprise from J.J. Abrams' Star Trek has been a very complex undertaking that has taken longer than anticipated. As with all QMx Artisan Replicas, this one will be hand built, intricately detailed, hand painted and faithfully screen accurate. Our commitment to superior craftsmanship means we can't make compromises in quality, even if doing so would mean bringing the product to market sooner".

"p.s. As we've been asked about the Stargate Zat Gun (and we're sure you have other items you may be curious about) the note above applies as well. ;-)".

They also posted a few words about negative feedback but again, they never said there was no progress. They are also going to implement monthly updates on their products.

Last edited:

See, I had read that as "When we have something to share, we'll share it, but right now, we have no news to share." These products have all been on their slate for a long while, it would be great to hear anything about the progress.

And Matt, you are 100% right on the economics of producing stickers and posters vs props - but then why pay top dollar for a prop license? Why not just produce stickers and laugh all the way to the bank?

No one is disputing that producing high-end props is difficult and expensive. It's just frustrating as a fan to see a beautiful prototype, then almost a year of silence.

If they're gonna focus a lot of their model on paper-props, I wish they would put out some more that are actually replicas, not EU crap ala their Firefly/Serenity line. Just doesn't interest me.

How about a decent River Diary? Journal of Impossible Things? (ahem, Blink Dossier :angel), God, the invite set would have been hella cool over that freakin poster!

It's just frustrating as a fan to see a beautiful prototype, then almost a year of silence.

The fact that they didn't produce the prototypes explains it. The prototypes are all handmade one-off commissions that can never be mass produced. A factory will take one look and tell them to go away, especially for the prices they reportedly pay. :lol

I called QMx and asked about the status of their Tennant sonic a few months ago and was told that it was taking a while because, after all, "no one has produced a 100% accurate Sonic Screwdriver." Man, that would have been a totally sensible reply if I hadn't been holding a 100% accurate sonic IN MY HAND at the time!

I called QMx and asked about the status of their Tennant sonic a few months ago and was told that it was taking a while because, after all, "no one has produced a 100% accurate Sonic Screwdriver." Man, that would have been a totally sensible reply if I hadn't been holding a 100% accurate sonic IN MY HAND at the time!

A CT i presume?

i think that they are referring to official pieces, and for the record i praise CT for his sonic (thought i should clear that up so that it doesn't look like i am bashing)

A couple of things;

First off, not everybody has a Baker sonic yet. I've just been catching up on my childhood greed for the past several years, and started with my first love. I hadn't even thought of DW until the new 4th series, and now I'm stoked to move in that direction. There's at least one out there somewhere that has my eventual name on it.

As to the Tennant/Smith sonics... They will be mine. I don't know how, or by who; I'm trying desperately to avoid spending CTs price, but if I hafta, I hafta. And, the last I heard, he was eyeing up the Smith.

I may have to put my sterling E-11 up in the junkyard and TCB.

A couple of things;

First off, not everybody has a Baker sonic yet. I've just been catching up on my childhood greed for the past several years, and started with my first love. I hadn't even thought of DW until the new 4th series, and now I'm stoked to move in that direction. There's at least one out there somewhere that has my eventual name on it.

As to the Tennant/Smith sonics... They will be mine. I don't know how, or by who; I'm trying desperately to avoid spending CTs price, but if I hafta, I hafta. And, the last I heard, he was eyeing up the Smith.

CT's price is the best you're going to find, and I'm fairly certain the quality will be the best as well. I've never held a QMx sonic (because none exists--prototypes don't count because they're usually not indicative of the final product) but I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that CT's sonic is SOLID. As for the price, MFX charged a LOT more for theirs, especially when you factor in VAT. And, yes, QMx has promised a price point around USD $200, but they've also promised a PRODUCT. If they ever even manage to deliver on the latter, there's no way they'll be able to deliver on the former.
Also: I can confirm that CT is indeed hard at work on the Smith sonic, but I believe he said he's planning on delivering on the River Song future sonic first.

A couple of things;

Keep an eye on ebay. Occassionally an MFX Sonic will turn up (that's how I
got mine). About eight months ago someone auctioned a CT Sonic on ebay,
I think it went for something like $300 USD.

But they are scarce. In the last year, I think, only two MFX Sonics and one
CT Sonic have come up for auction on ebay.

i think two months ago someone put up a 9th and 10th CT up on e-bay. How loud are the CT's anyway when compared to say the CO sonics? I wonder of QMX will show anything new at SDCC this year...

I've heard they're about the same...I don't own a CT (yet) So I wouldn't know for sure!

The CT 9th is much softer than the CO toy, especially when closed. I don't know how the 10th sounds because I don't have that version.

The CT 9th is much softer than the CO toy, especially when closed. I don't know how the 10th sounds because I don't have that version.

I can't compare the CT 9 and the CT 10, but I can confirm that the CT 10 is also quite a bit quieter than the CO toy. It is still audible though, which makes it better than the MFx, and it exists, so it's got the QMx beat, as well!

Does anybody know any more information about this or the 11th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver? Ive been thinking about getting Celestial Toystore's version but then i came across this little gem! When is it gonna be released do you think?:confused

Does anybody know any more information about this or the 11th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver? Ive been thinking about getting Celestial Toystore's version but then i came across this little gem! When is it gonna be released do you think?:confused

Roughly never, I'm afraid. QMx has a terrible track record for actually releasing products (Exceptions being the totally static Star Trek Phaser, and a very limited run of Farnsworths -- but they're great at posters and trinkets!). Unfortunately, since unveiling their sonics, they have made zero progress toward a release and have all but given up on even pretending that there are any plans to release at all. Not to mention that word around the campfire is that there was some sort of internal falling-out involving the guy who made the prototypes, so they don't even have that going for them. Also, their 11 Sonic needed a lot of work anyway, especially in the top half "cage/strut" area.
For the 11, I'd say wait and see if they can manage to get to market before CT... for the 10, CT has a beautiful product now.

One last thing: if QMx does manage to release a Tennant sonic, there's no way it's going to hit the $200 price point they promised. Just buy a CT. It is impossible to regret.

sonic.jpg

but still.

Roughly never, I'm afraid. QMx has a terrible track record for actually releasing products (Exceptions being the totally static Star Trek Phaser, and a very limited run of Farnsworths -- but they're great at posters and trinkets!). Unfortunately, since unveiling their sonics, they have made zero progress toward a release and have all but given up on even pretending that there are any plans to release at all. Not to mention that word around the campfire is that there was some sort of internal falling-out involving the guy who made the prototypes, so they don't even have that going for them. Also, their 11 Sonic needed a lot of work anyway, especially in the top half "cage/strut" area.
For the 11, I'd say wait and see if they can manage to get to market before CT... for the 10, CT has a beautiful product now.

One last thing: if QMx does manage to release a Tennant sonic, there's no way it's going to hit the $200 price point they promised. Just buy a CT. It is impossible to regret.
Thanks alot for the reply :) i can now say i have been guided in the ways of the tennant sonic replica buying! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back