QMx & Other New Sonic Screwdrivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asp9mm

Thought I'd start this one to get away from derailing the main release thread again.

So here is the prototype. Price and release as of yet unconfirmed. They were planning on light and vibration in connection to cellphone activation, but no doubt after talking to people at the CC, they are looking into sound as an alternative now.

Prototype pics....

qmx-10thdoctorsonic-1.jpg

qmx-10thdoctorsonic-10.jpg

qmx-10thdoctorsonic-12.jpg

Clearly using the very delicate screen used Tim Holtz paint and not the Plastikote.

qmx-10thdoctorsonic-13.jpg

qmx-10thdoctorsonic-2.jpg

qmx-10thdoctorsonic-3.jpg

qmx-10thdoctorsonic-4.jpg

Cap end looks too tapered and slim on these prototypes. Hope they can deliver on their promises.

Thoughts....

Last edited:
Re: QMx Sonic Screwdriver Thread

I hope they can keep promised as its beautiful!

You are not wrong there. I think the paint makes a world of difference, but it is too delicate for a production piece and replicating the thickness and cracks with other paints doesn't create the same effect. Even the Plastikote is considered very hard wearing next to the original stuff.

For comparison, CTs sonic has an ultra durable powder coat he has developed for folks that like to carry or use their sonics for cosplay. He's replicated the Plastikote effect and even improved on the uniformity too, but has still to crack (excuse the pun) the porcelein crack effect of the Holtz paint.

Grey+Body+Demo+2.jpg

Grey+Body+Demo+3.jpg

Yeah CT's is far more organic. I personally have and have used drawer pulls you get at the hardware store that has the cracked effect that is very durable, I wonder if that will be looked into.

Yeah CT's is far more organic. I personally have and have used drawer pulls you get at the hardware store that has the cracked effect that is very durable, I wonder if that will be looked into.

CTs is as close to the original I've seen so far, with thicker coating and deep cracks.

I know what you mean about the drawer pulls, they are artificially cracked ceramics. I was lookng at the same sort of thing when shopping for bathroom fixtures a couple of months ago and they do light pulls, containers, brushes and racks in all different antique finishes just like the sonic. They are very durable being ceramic, just don't know whether you could craft a sonic body from it though. I hope either QMx or CT looks into this possibility as that would be the ultimate sonic replica.

Here are some more pics of the two protos taken at SDCC by Silverskyes 402....

image-6.jpg

image-4.jpg

Yeah I am not sure either, I do not know the process they go through, but looks very sonic-like in texture!

The more I see the stand the more impressive it is to me! Holding the balance of it open too :)

What does 'cell phone activation' mean? Is that like a cell phone charm, that will alert the carrier to an incoming call?

What does 'cell phone activation' mean? Is that like a cell phone charm, that will alert the carrier to an incoming call?

Probably, it's really a hit or miss technology though highly dependent on it's proximity to the phone, and it has to be tuned to your carrier... For the rest of the world a GSM sensor would be the preferred choice since it's hugely dominant, but for the US you would need a universal GSM/CDMA or two different models for it to work across the board, that really complicates production IMO...

I think, lights, sound and possibly vibration are better options for a prop...

It does look very impressive. I don't know how they got that Holtz crap on there so thin, that stuff is a nightmare. It's not even like a paint, it's more like caked on mud. I agree, the end cap is too pointy, and the button looks a little too short to actually work reliably.

It does look very impressive. I don't know how they got that Holtz crap on there so thin, that stuff is a nightmare. It's not even like a paint, it's more like caked on mud. I agree, the end cap is too pointy, and the button looks a little too short to actually work reliably.

From some of the demo videos Tim Holtz has done, it appears the stuff is water soluble and can be thinned enough to be airbrushed which is what I think has happened here. It also looks like the body has been drybrushed to highlight the crackle and enhance the ridges. This is a great job.

The finish is actually a durable, proprietary one researched from scratch to match the finish of the real one, not a any form of the Holtz finish.

From what I have seen, the whole thing is very accurate (finish and details)! Love the stand too by the way, possibly the nicest stand I've ever seen for a replica.

The finish is actually a durable, proprietary one researched from scratch to match the finish of the real one, not a any form of the Holtz finish.

Hmmm, and so the misinformation starts (can't we have a sonic thread where people are told the same information for once :lol ). At least three people I know of have been told it was the original screen used Holtz paint with a dark wash and sealant applied on top. I hope it is a better paint they use as the Holtz won't stand up to too much handling, sealant or not.

From what I hear some of the booth people were not so helpful or knowledgeable...Maybe that is in their PLAN, much like the sound. Maybe they meant to mean the final one will be a more durable finish?

From what I hear some of the booth people were not so helpful or knowledgeable...Maybe that is in their PLAN, much like the sound. Maybe they meant to mean the final one will be a more durable finish?

That makes sense. The prices given out ranged from $200 to $1400, two products (die-cast edition and CNC'd edition), one product, vibration, possible sound etc etc. Obviously still in the early stages of development I'd think from that.

I bet we are in for another long wait on this one.

The info was from my conversations with Karl Derrick QMx's Design Director who was at the booth and all questions regarding this prop were directed to him. Here is some information to help clear things up which he asked me to pass along (not taking any specific questions to him though, he's far too busy).

1. There is no 'plan' involving misinformation or deception.
2. No one at the booth said it would be $1,400.00 or anything like that. It was said they are AIMING for $200 per unit.
3. No one at the booth said Holtz paint was used. Holtz paint was not used on the original prop. No sonic prop at the BBC has ever been painted with Holtz paint. It was tested along with around 25 other finishes and found not to be durable in any way. The finish used on these prototypes stood up find to being handled by about 700 people.
4. This is not a Frankenstein in any way, all information was taken from the actual sonic, not from any other past projects.

The info was from my conversations with Karl Derrick QMx's Design Director who was at the booth and all questions regarding this prop were directed to him. Here is some information to help clear things up which he asked me to pass along (not taking any specific questions to him though, he's far too busy).

2. No one at the booth said it would be $1,400.00 or anything like that. It was said they are AIMING for $200 per unit.
3. No one at the booth said Holtz paint was used. Holtz paint was not used on the original prop. No sonic prop at the BBC has ever been painted with Holtz paint. It was tested along with around 25 other finishes and found not to be durable in any way. The finish used on these prototypes stood up find to being handled by about 700 people.
4. This is not a Frankenstein in any way, all information was taken from the actual sonic, not from any other past projects.

QFE.
Take that you conspiracy nuts.
Just sayin'.
:p

Actually, the information about the price AND paint was given to me by three different unrelated people who got this AT the QMx booth. And in all cases it was a girl/woman that answered them.

I don't think Primrodo meant that QMx had a plan for misinformation, moreso, someone representing QMx gave information on what is planned for the production sonics. The misinformation comes form people who have been told incorrect specs and the chinese whispers (no pun intended) that roll from one collector to the other snowballing the incorrect info until it resembles nothing that was said originally. As seen above if your information is correct.

As for Holtz paint being used. I have been told by two people in connection with the original prop, that antique linen is what they used and that is going back a few years now admittedly. Whether it was another manufacturer of that colour, I have no idea, Tim Holtz is the only one I can find that makes it. Plastikote certainly wasn't used as you can't get that finish with it.

So to clear the last point up. QMx has no plans to make a die cast and a high end version? It's just the one high end that they will be releasing for the $200 aimed price point? The finish will be durable? And it won't have that thin cap end like the protos show, the slider wll be more accurately shaped and the channel wider? Although I actually like the slimmer slide channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back