QMx & Other New Sonic Screwdrivers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: QMx Sonic Screwdriver Thread

Roughly never, I'm afraid. QMx has a terrible track record for actually releasing products (Exceptions being the totally static Star Trek Phaser, and a very limited run of Farnsworths -- but they're great at posters and trinkets!).

You must have some inside information nobody else has. This was just posted to their FB page about the Sonic Screwdriver today:

• Quantum Mechanix (QMx) "Nope ;-) We haven't officially even announced and anything we showed was beginning prototypes. As we mentioned before, we like to show things off to get ideas as we feel our customers are a great sounding board.

For now, what I can say is that we are definitely looking to make them
    and we're working to get the best people on the project.

But if you're looking for dates or pricing currently, we just can't give them to you. ;-)"

As for releasing products, if you consider the BSG Blackbird, Serenity BDR, Mal Pistol & Holster, Flying Mule, and BSG Viper currently in production "trinkets",,,,,,,,, then I'd have to agree with you.

It looks like a pretty good track record to me.

You must have some inside information nobody else has. This was just posted to their FB page about the Sonic Screwdriver today:

• Quantum Mechanix (QMx) "Nope ;-) We haven't officially even announced and anything we showed was beginning prototypes. As we mentioned before, we like to show things off to get ideas as we feel our customers are a great sounding board.

For now, what I can say is that we are definitely looking to make them
    and we're working to get the best people on the project.

But if you're looking for dates or pricing currently, we just can't give them to you. ;-)"

As for releasing products, if you consider the BSG Blackbird, Serenity BDR, Mal Pistol & Holster, Flying Mule, and BSG Viper currently in production "trinkets",,,,,,,,, then I'd have to agree with you.

It looks like a pretty good track record to me.

First: The idea that they "haven't announced anything" is kind of disporoved by this:
5748271100_fbc8df888c_o.png

Second, "we're looking to make them" and "we're working TO GET the best people on the project" are both statements that mean that they have made zero headway on producing these. After all this time, one would think that the current license holder would not be "looking" to make them, but would be well under-way with their artisans long-ago in place.

As for their immaculate track record.... let's take a closer look;
BSG Blackbird: A model, not a prop. A nice model, sure (at $1200.00, it had better be) but still not a prop.
Serenity BDR: See above.
Flying Mule: Also see above.
BSG Viper: Once again, see above.
Mal Pistol: Static, resin replica. No moving parts, no metal, no electronics.
Mal Holster: It's a frikken leather holster, it hardly indicates their ability to put out something like a Sonic Screwdriver.
Jayne Wrist Strap: See "Mal Holster."

Actual props (with moving parts and/or electronics) that QMx has released, thus lending credibility to their claim to being able to deliver things like Sonic Screwdrivers:
1) The Farnsworth. By all accounts, a rather wonderful replica. Limited to 100, never seen again.
2) There is no 2.

Now, shall we count props of this type that have been promised but never seen? How about 4 styles of Sonic Screwdriver, The Star Trek Phaser with the flipping barrel, Working Stargate Zat… need I go on?

If you want to take the word of PR people who are making claims that history has yet to back up, be my guest. I think, however, that seeing is believing. And there's a guy in China who has already released more high quality actual working props than QMx has thus far... and guess what? He's working on the 11 Sonic (and River Song's). If this were a dog race, I know where I'd put my money.

BSG Blackbird: A model, not a prop.
Serenity BDR: See above.
Flying Mule: Also see above.
BSG Viper: Once again, see above.

Actual props (with moving parts and/or electronics)

Now, shall we count props of this type

You didn't say "props".

QMx has a terrible track record for actually releasing products

Go to their site and you will see the "products" available for purchase right now.

You didn't say "props".

Go to their site and you will see the "products" available for purchase right now.

Look at the top of the page. It says "QMx Sonic Screwdriver Thread," not "Stickers and Posters Thread." When it comes to releasing products that are pertinent to the subject we're discussing, QMx has a shoddy record.

Look at the top of the page. It says "QMx Sonic Screwdriver Thread," not "Stickers and Posters Thread." When it comes to releasing products that are pertinent to the subject we're discussing, QMx has a shoddy record.

I posted this thread ten months ago. You really would have expected something to be released on their production other than the rather disapointing " no price, no product, looking into people working on it " information they have posted out recently. This points to zero progress and at least another year if anything gets sorted soon.

It's true that the evidence points to Qmx not having a proven track record as a reliable license holder. It's a wonder how they pay thier employees with so little product to sell. I don't want to say they will "never" make the sonics, because then I would have egg on my face if they actually DO release them - but the least they can do, regardless of thier intentions, is to better inform potential customers as to the reality of the project.
Telling us what little they have is simply not enough and certainly does not answer any of the questions we have had regarding why things are taking so long.
I know these things take time. R&D can be a pain when dealing with complicated pieces like these, but as it has been stated before - development has gone on far too long without anything to show for it...or evey comment on it.

I had such high hopes when I started reading this thread, and now I'm rather depressed.

I fear I have joined ravvenz in the depression department. I was fortunate enough to get one of Qmx's Dracula rings and have been very pleased with the ring itself, despite the controversy over the COA, and the resin box(frankly I'd have rather had a nice wooden box over the coffin replica).
But it does seem like the company has had problems delivering on advertised items, i.e. the rest of the Dracula rings, the Mummy ring, the Creature from the Black Lagoon claw, etc.

Like it was said, they DID deliver on the Trek phasers....it is highly possible that they have every intention on releasing these, but as we all know, replicas that have moving parts and lights may take longer to develop as well as stay within a production budget than a static prop.

Like it was said, they DID deliver on the Trek phasers....it is highly possible that they have every intention on releasing these, but as we all know, replicas that have moving parts and lights may take longer to develop as well as stay within a production budget than a static prop.

Okay, I know I've been hard on QMx in this thread, but I want to make something clear: I am 100% sure that QMx are respectable and upstanding business people with a love for prop production who do in fact have every intention of releasing these products. That said, I think maybe they underestimated the difficulty of producing some of these things at the level they would like, especially at a price point that isn't prohibitive. I think they're probably in a little over their heads and trying to keep people's interest as much as possible through their PR efforts until they can get a product off the ground. Unfortunately, they seem to be taking a long time to make little-to-no progress and I doubt the BBC will allow them to keep their license for too long without a product to show for it.

Okay, I know I've been hard on QMx in this thread, but I want to make something clear: I am 100% sure that QMx are respectable and upstanding business people with a love for prop production who do in fact have every intention of releasing these products. That said, I think maybe they underestimated the difficulty of producing some of these things at the level they would like, especially at a price point that isn't prohibitive. I think they're probably in a little over their heads and trying to keep people's interest as much as possible through their PR efforts until they can get a product off the ground. Unfortunately, they seem to be taking a long time to make little-to-no progress and I doubt the BBC will allow them to keep their license for too long without a product to show for it.

Well said.
You mentioned the price point they are targeting - which I believe was around the $200 mark for the 10th sonic.
We know that fans are paying top dollar for one of CT's sonics - that being the case, I don't see it being a problem for Qmx to charge more for the sonics if it means getting them produced.
Sure, I don't want to sell a kidney to buy one like many have done for the EFX Legend Vader (you KNOW who you are!:lol) but I would feel that $250 - $300 for a licensed sonic is a reasonable price. I would pay up to $400 (maybe more) for the 11th sonic, so long as it was completely accurate.

Hey all,

Dropping in as the new social media/marketing face at QMx and the person behind the updates on the FB page ;-)

I wanted to drop in and say that, yes we know it's taking a long time for the sonics. However, no, we haven't decided not to make them.

There should be more news as we get closer to SDCC and it should answer some of the questions.

I also want to add that, while there are delays, there's a lot in the planning stages in a number of different QMx licenses.

Now, I know that we're never going to make things fast and cheaply enough to make everyone happy ::grin:: But there's definitely a push to get them made with both time and cost in mind.

I should be doing the FB update later today or tomorrow and the plan is to do those monthly. I should also be updating the blog soonish, so I'll let you know when that happens.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Thanks!

GGD

GGD,

Grats. Welcome aboard. Well said and looking forward to hearing a lot more from you.

Thank you for posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back