NASA ACES suit disconnects

alexbailey

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here's some photo of the machining of the left hand locking ring and the internal features of the left cuff ring.

IMG_1189.jpeg
IMG_1190.jpeg

Setup for machining the cuff ring.

IMG_1193.jpeg

The left cuff ring is now complete. The left locking ring had to go the the rotary axis for the radial details to be machined.

The finished cuff ring.

IMG_1259.jpeg

Both pieces locked together.

IMG_1257.jpeg

alexbailey

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Very impressive. Sorry if this was already discussed, but is this piece actually functional enough that it might work in a real suit?
It functions in that you can connect and disconnect them and the mechanical features function accurately. They don't seal and hold pressure. I have no idea how they hold pressure. If anyone knows how that works i would be eager to find out. They would leak at the bearing ring area.

joberg

Master Member
I know that the Artists on the RPF have done, in the past, wonderful and complicated machine work...but to go "Seal & Pressure Hold" is another step toward insanity o_O o_O Your workmanship is top notch (y)(y):cool::cool::notworthy::notworthy:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.