Dredd 2012 Electronics 3D Model and Build

Current code has been published on Github. Documentation is first draft and not polished i.e. missing some images, etc

As I'm testing and working through all the functions, I keep making minor code adjustments, adding code comments, and cleaning code. Recent improvements include:
  1. Better timing for the three ID Ok flashes with audio playback
  2. Better timing on four ID FAIL flashes
  3. Added detection delay on the low ammo condition so not to conflict with firing ammo rounds
  4. Added some different LED colours based on ammo mode
I uploaded the audio files that work with the current code. I think the sounds are a close approximation, and not perfect by any means. They'll need some clean up when I have time, and may even change a few if I find a better source.

Enjoy!

Current code has been published on Github. Documentation is first draft and not polished i.e. missing some images, etc

As I'm testing and working through all the functions, I keep making minor code adjustments, adding code comments, and cleaning code. Recent improvements include:
  1. Better timing for the three ID Ok flashes with audio playback
  2. Better timing on four ID FAIL flashes
  3. Added detection delay on the low ammo condition so not to conflict with firing ammo rounds
  4. Added some different LED colours based on ammo mode
I uploaded the audio files that work with the current code. I think the sounds are a close approximation, and not perfect by any means. They'll need some clean up when I have time, and may even change a few if I find a better source.

Enjoy!
awesome, thanks. Definitely going to check this out. Great excuse to learn C++

I hope the Github repo helps you, that's the intention. Let me know if you have any questions. martinr1000 - are you a programmer? What experience do you have?

I was a programmer for many years, and still work in software but have had a different role for a while now. I'm relatively new to Arduino programming, and have been learning and using it for almost two years. So I'm no Arduino expert by any means.

In working with Props3D, the approach has been to standardize the electronic components we use and make reusable code components that we can plug and play in new projects so we're not starting from scratch each time. So far, it's working out and with each project we work on, the more features and functionality get added. The code has evolved on each project, as I learn new techniques to solve different problems, and I expect that to continue on every project. With this approach, mind you, it's probably not the most efficient use of memory constraints given the nature of the Arduino platform but it's not been a problem yet.

I hope the Github repo helps you, that's the intention. Let me know if you have any questions. martinr1000 - are you a programmer? What experience do you have?

I was a programmer for many years, and still work in software but have had a different role for a while now. I'm relatively new to Arduino programming, and have been learning and using it for almost two years. So I'm no Arduino expert by any means.

In working with Props3D, the approach has been to standardize the electronic components we use and make reusable code components that we can plug and play in new projects so we're not starting from scratch each time. So far, it's working out and with each project we work on, the more features and functionality get added. The code has evolved on each project, as I learn new techniques to solve different problems, and I expect that to continue on every project. With this approach, mind you, it's probably not the most efficient use of memory constraints given the nature of the Arduino platform but it's not been a problem yet.
yeah i've been a developer for about 15 years working on an in house scripted language. I know a bit of C# and i have some repos in github for aliens related stuff like the motion tracker. That was all python. Been meaning to get into C++ for a while now as it'll probably help at work but similarly to you my role has changed over the years and i'm doing a bit less programming these days. oh well.

Last edited:
martinr1000 - Arduino will be easy to pick up then. It's all C/C++, has lots of libraries, and tons of documentation and reference material out there. Frankly, there's nothing special about the code. You'll get an understanding of the MCU programming loop, and how IO works, and working around the timing between components.

There are some Arduino boards that support MicroPython - Python with Arduino Boards | Arduino Documentation | Arduino Documentation

Working on a full Dredd 2012 lights/sound 3d model and build. Spent my xMas pouring over references modeling this up for 3D printing. After 212 versions I finally have this:
View attachment 1532314
View attachment 1532315

It's 3D printable with very little support and has a ton of features. They've all been tested separately but I don't have anything close to a final yet :)

Working Features:
- Working trigger
- OLED display with ammo counter
- Voice recognition changing fire modes
- 7 neopixel LED front light with focuser lens
- Detachable front magazine
- MP3 with 20X40mm Speaker
- Cocking mechanism pulls back like the movie and triggers reload
- Fully modular for servicing

You can see my test prints here: Props3D Pro on Instagram

I'm teaming up with Spidey74 who's doing the code half of this as well as a build of the models as it progresses. So far he's gotten most of it working, I'll leave it to him to update that side.

At the end I'll be posting the models on thingiverse for free and the code on our Github page. Since it's all over the place as I'm versioning this I'm just going to post updates :)

If you do want the models to join in, DM me and I'll link you the package, I just ask that this is a non-commercial release and you keep it as such. Sharing is caring!
Phenomenal work, something else to print and stare at in awe

This has been such a fun build with Props3D. I've printed most of the parts and so far everything fits very well with little to no clean up. Next up for me is to finalize the code and fit all of the electronics.

We'll be using Arduino Nano to run all of these components, and it's been going pretty well. Still need to add code for the reload micro-switch, and tweak the VR module, but it's working pretty well.
View attachment 1532571
Totally amazing and in awe of anybody who does this type of work with electronics

yeah i've been a developer for about 15 years working on an in house scripted language. I know a bit of C# and i have some repos in github for aliens related stuff like the motion tracker. That was all python. Been meaning to get into C++ for a while now as it'll probably help at work but similarly to you my role has changed over the years and i'm doing a bit less programming these days. oh well.
Do you have a full motion tracker build? Doing a screen accurate tracker with an LED screen is next on my list after this is complete, if you have something already done you'd be ok with sharing that would be amazing.

don't have the 3d model, i managed to get hold of mostly real parts. I followed you on github and my stuff is there too

Wow man, that's a work of art! The motion detector is one of my top 10 props and 2 down on my 'to do' list. I was just going to do a simple video for the display but what you've done with the compass is next level. Would you be alright if I used your code when I do my model and reference your github/youtube in the thingiverse link? I would also be down with teaming up on this if you wanted to dust off your YouTube channel and work together on it and do a V2 :)

Wow man, that's a work of art! The motion detector is one of my top 10 props and 2 down on my 'to do' list. I was just going to do a simple video for the display but what you've done with the compass is next level. Would you be alright if I used your code when I do my model and reference your github/youtube in the thingiverse link? I would also be down with teaming up on this if you wanted to dust off your YouTube channel and work together on it and do a V2 :)
Thanks. no problems with you or anyone else using it. might be up for doing something on it when i have a bit more free time. Going to be quite busy until the summer i reckon.

i did at some stage want to try and make an accurate model of all of the tracker components but never got around to it so maybe this would be something to do as well.

cheers

Managed to get some coats applied over the weekend and these are looking really good. These are all the same paint process and colors. I'm going to build two props and I'm thinking of going more screen accurate on the second. I'd use a flat black base and satin/matte black on the top slide/shroud. Need to test out some paints first.

Getting closer to assembling :)

1644211086004.png

Finally assembled the whole thing. Made a few modifications to the wiring, removing two connectors to make a little extra room to fit everything.

Attachments

• 68BCF1FC-3E03-4ACA-BC96-C9FBDAD0D89E.jpeg
    68BCF1FC-3E03-4ACA-BC96-C9FBDAD0D89E.jpeg
    942.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 073D57F0-CE80-49A5-A342-158319242816.jpeg
    073D57F0-CE80-49A5-A342-158319242816.jpeg
    984.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 187A5019-759C-4904-B13F-8DB3BAE93195.jpeg
    187A5019-759C-4904-B13F-8DB3BAE93195.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 153
  • 88550619-5C9A-4451-A333-53AB3F491939.jpeg
    88550619-5C9A-4451-A333-53AB3F491939.jpeg
    924.9 KB · Views: 172
I’ve found that the voice recognition does not work as well as I want once it was assembled. Some commands always work, where some not at all.

I believe it’s the noisy OLED interfering with the VR processing. I’m spending more time to try and reduce or dampen the interference. Have some ideas I’m still testing out. When I get some results I’ll post back here.

To everyone involved in this project...THIS IS DAMN IMPRESSIVE! Wow I am so impressed!! The build the programming all are purely impressive! It makes my skills seem puny in comparison! I can't wait to see the finish product!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back