Interest DaveP’s Luke RotJ V2 / Obi Wan ANH Motorised Stunt Prop-Replica Run (Sign Up Closed)

Beautiful Dave! So glad I was able to pick up a pair :) both finished with as many Vintage parts as possible
3B9A3089-769B-441E-9967-76D204195277.jpeg
08B4CC9A-469E-4A77-89DD-41FDC8C488B1.jpeg

**UPDATE**

Hello there!! I'm guessing some of you have seen the announcement! :)

Roy's levers arrived this afternoon! I wanted to wait until they actually arrive before announcing anything here.

Well, they're here, and they're perfect. Very nice indeed!

View attachment 1565788

I'm obviously going to get straight on with the job of getting outstanding kits shipped out to people, as well as installing clamps on to Batch 1 commissions.

This will not take long at all, so expect to receive a tracking number for DIY kits by the end of the week. (y)

I'll send out invoices for finished commissions once they're complete and packaged up ready to ship :)

I'm so incredibly grateful for the patience and understanding that everyone has shown! I can't thank you all enough!

Not long to go now! Batch 2 is nearing completion! I will post a separate update on that soon. All going well and should be moving on to batch 3 before too long.

In the meantime, here are some images of some finished commissions, complete with new lever:

View attachment 1565791
View attachment 1565790
View attachment 1565792
View attachment 1565789

Thanks again everyone,

All the best and MTFBWY!

Dave
**UPDATE**

Hello there!! I'm guessing some of you have seen the announcement! :)

Roy's levers arrived this afternoon! I wanted to wait until they actually arrive before announcing anything here.

Well, they're here, and they're perfect. Very nice indeed!

View attachment 1565788

I'm obviously going to get straight on with the job of getting outstanding kits shipped out to people, as well as installing clamps on to Batch 1 commissions.

This will not take long at all, so expect to receive a tracking number for DIY kits by the end of the week. (y)

I'll send out invoices for finished commissions once they're complete and packaged up ready to ship :)

I'm so incredibly grateful for the patience and understanding that everyone has shown! I can't thank you all enough!

Not long to go now! Batch 2 is nearing completion! I will post a separate update on that soon. All going well and should be moving on to batch 3 before too long.

In the meantime, here are some images of some finished commissions, complete with new lever:

View attachment 1565791
View attachment 1565790
View attachment 1565792
View attachment 1565789

Thanks again everyone,

All the best and MTFBWY!

Dave
Christmas came early!!

**Update**

Hi everyone. Just a quick curtesy update to let everyone know where things are up to since the levers arrived on Thursday...

Since they arrived I've been working flat out on the following:
  • Checking peoples details haven't changed, and getting missing email/phone numbers for UPS
  • Sending out levers to those who already have their kits (but paid to have the levers sent separately)
  • Adding levers to remaining kits and booking in for collection
  • Installing levers on to completed batch one commissions
  • Invoicing for completed commissions
  • Booking completed commissions in for collection
It's been a lot of work to get through, but all the UK standalone levers have now been sent. International ones require scanning in the actual post office, so those are departing tomorrow morning (all packaged and labelled up)

Roughly half of the outstanding DIY kits have been booked in for tomorrow's collection (Tue). I'll be booking in the rest for collection on Wednesday. Just the process of dropping in the lever, taping the box up, checking details, booking in with UPS, Labelling the box and attaching customs forms is incredibly time consuming. Multiply by the quantity, and it becomes a major operation. o_O Half way through though, and hopefully, by the end of tomorrow, ALL outstanding kits should be booked in and ready to leave on Wednesday.

Batch one ROTJ V2 levers have been weathered and installed, and a couple of them are booked in for collection tomorrow. It's my plan to have the rest packaged up tomorrow, along with the completed Obi Stunt commissions, ready for collection on Wednesday. Installing the levers on the Obi stunts is relatively straight forward as they don't require the additional weathering that goes in to the ROTJ V2 lever.

Thanks for your patience on this run everyone. It hasn't gone as smoothly as was planned, and I realise it's tested people's patience.

Glad to say that things are moving along at a great pace now though, with a healthy pile of boxes waiting by the door to be collected tomorrow. Soon to be followed by the rest in the coming days!

Batch two has not been forgotten! (or three for that matter) It's so very close to being completed too, and I'm itching to continue work on them and show you where things are up to! Just a brief pause while I concentrate on getting some orders shipped out to their new homes. :)

Thanks again for your patience everyone!

All the best and MTFBWY,

Dave

**Update**

Hi everyone. Just a quick curtesy update to let everyone know where things are up to since the levers arrived on Thursday...

Since they arrived I've been working flat out on the following:
  • Checking peoples details haven't changed, and getting missing email/phone numbers for UPS
  • Sending out levers to those who already have their kits (but paid to have the levers sent separately)
  • Adding levers to remaining kits and booking in for collection
  • Installing levers on to completed batch one commissions
  • Invoicing for completed commissions
  • Booking completed commissions in for collection
It's been a lot of work to get through, but all the UK standalone levers have now been sent. International ones require scanning in the actual post office, so those are departing tomorrow morning (all packaged and labelled up)

Roughly half of the outstanding DIY kits have been booked in for tomorrow's collection (Tue). I'll be booking in the rest for collection on Wednesday. Just the process of dropping in the lever, taping the box up, checking details, booking in with UPS, Labelling the box and attaching customs forms is incredibly time consuming. Multiply by the quantity, and it becomes a major operation. o_O Half way through though, and hopefully, by the end of tomorrow, ALL outstanding kits should be booked in and ready to leave on Wednesday.

Batch one ROTJ V2 levers have been weathered and installed, and a couple of them are booked in for collection tomorrow. It's my plan to have the rest packaged up tomorrow, along with the completed Obi Stunt commissions, ready for collection on Wednesday. Installing the levers on the Obi stunts is relatively straight forward as they don't require the additional weathering that goes in to the ROTJ V2 lever.

Thanks for your patience on this run everyone. It hasn't gone as smoothly as was planned, and I realise it's tested people's patience.

Glad to say that things are moving along at a great pace now though, with a healthy pile of boxes waiting by the door to be collected tomorrow. Soon to be followed by the rest in the coming days!

Batch two has not been forgotten! (or three for that matter) It's so very close to being completed too, and I'm itching to continue work on them and show you where things are up to! Just a brief pause while I concentrate on getting some orders shipped out to their new homes. :)

Thanks again for your patience everyone!

All the best and MTFBWY,

Dave
Best communication and follow-through in the industry Dave!!

My DaveP V2 just turned up! Couldn’t wait to unwrap it! It’s stunning. Thanks Dave for all your hard work. This one features a vintage clamp, vintage Transcriptor cone knob and vintage boot stud.
778BA944-AB0A-4C0A-90D5-42E7737E2A1B.jpeg
14E88D43-C618-4316-A1A7-AE5B204A3245.jpeg
05BBA221-5546-4E97-A1D0-7106C71507A3.jpeg
0F1137DE-B9C3-486B-B351-0715E4DA17B8.jpeg
025B584B-E9FB-4B97-A5CB-75827CB1FFBF.png
D5ECEDAA-662D-4F22-AC4E-A871DD3592F2.png
01F94791-4D4A-4BBE-B2B4-F397E77F81BE.png

Attachments

• 962CCE04-D461-4C5A-BA4B-9AADC5619753.png
    962CCE04-D461-4C5A-BA4B-9AADC5619753.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 98
  • 92FFD857-A11E-4AA4-8D10-A1BCBDFA2AD3.png
    92FFD857-A11E-4AA4-8D10-A1BCBDFA2AD3.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 92
My v2 commission was just delivered and to say I am ecstatic with this would be an understatement. Huge thanks to Dave and all involved for making this happen. This is now the definitive v2 in my collection. No need to own any others. I threw it on a stand a took a quick pic. My poor photography does not do this piece justice.

Luke-ROTJv2.jpg

**UPDATE**

Hi Everyone. I'm loving seeing the commissions arriving at their new homes, and it's great to hear that the kits are arriving safely too!

ALL kits and outstanding levers are now well on their way to everyone, having been sent last week. (y)

ALL Batch 1 commissions that have been paid for have been shipped. Some Batch 1 Obi stunts are waiting on Batch 2 V2s before they can be sent out.

Batch 2 is very nearly finished. The last of the Obi Stunts just need to be wired up, and V2s are painted and awaiting de-stencilling:

PXL_20220428_161349503.jpg
PXL_20220428_161155575.jpg

Had to re-do one of the rings due to a stray hair landing on the wet paint.

Hence the one that's been re-masked.

PXL_20220428_150433233.jpg

I've begun wiring up Batch 2 Stunts, as you'll see later in the post, and I'll be dry-brushing the V2 necks tomorrow, before I finish the de-stencilling process.

Batch 3 parts have been checked over and are waiting patiently for their emitters to be removed (batch 3 is all V2s, rather than a mix).

PXL_20220428_161356101.jpg

I've been meaning to post a tutorial for the wiring of the Obi Stunts for some time now, and since the last of the DIY kits have started to arrive with people, well here it is (sorry for the delay for those who have been waiting):

Obi Stunt Wiring Tutorial:

Although, I've included spade crimps in the kit, so that in theory, the kit *can* be wired up without soldering, I highly recommend investing in a soldering iron! Also, I recommend using the correct Anderson Powerpole ratchet crimps for the connectors. Its possible to crimp them using pliers/snips, but you'll have much better results with the correct tools. (y)

PXL_20220428_132305888.jpg

The kits come with the motor/coupling/bearing pre-installed. To slide out the motor, loosen the nipple screws and the screw that holds the motor in place (in the clamp section).

To prepare the wire, you'll need to strip back roughly 100mm by making a small nick in the end and then pulling apart .

PXL_20220428_132615543.jpg
PXL_20220428_132646895.jpg

Trim off the excess and then cut the blue wire down to about 15mm (keep the bit that's been cut off):

PXL_20220428_132753372.jpg
PXL_20220428_133000475.jpg

The shorter, blue wire will go to the switch. The longer, brown wire will go straight to the motor:

PXL_20220428_133442460.jpg
PXL_20220428_134852984.jpg

Once soldered, the rod and motor can be re-inserted in to the hilt. Remove all of the spare washers and the second nut from the switch.

It's important that the switch sits perpendicular to the hilt. Otherwise, the pommel won't go on fully. Also, this is the orientation on the original prop.

PXL_20220428_135309793.jpg

The wire can now be fed through the pommel, and the pommel can be attached.

PXL_20220428_135545061.jpg

Trim the wire to the desired length and strip back two 15-20mm wires for the Anderson connectors. The wire on the original prop was very short. Be sure to give yourself enough to work with though.

Also, the most recent kits have been sent out with covers for the connectors. Apologies to those who received their kits before I discovered these. I find that they just look a little neater than wrapping with tape. And sinse I started using them myself, I've included them in the later kits.

For those who decide to use them, it's important to remember to put them on to the wire before fitting the connectors. Sounds obvious, but it's an easy mistake to make. :D

PXL_20220428_140554312.jpg

When you come to make you're extension lead, fit the crimps so that the blue wire is always on the left. By keeping to this rule, you'll ensure that you don't get your polarities crossed. When it comes time to fit the connectors to your power pack, stick to this rule by keeping the positive wire (long dashes running along the wire) to the left too. When the crimps are pushed in to the connector housing, it's important that they hook over the ends of the metal plates inside the housing:

PXL_20220428_141533711.jpg
PXL_20220428_141746149.jpg

To install the clamp, the tabs will need to be ground off, preferably using a rotary tool:

PXL_20220428_142735302~2.jpg

Discard the lever and the threaded bar, and replace with Roy's V2 lever:

PXL_20220428_143326212.jpg

I recommend fitting the lever over the ring section, as it's thinner, so easier. Just be sure to protect your paintwork. (y)

You can open the clamp up just enough to slip on to the grenade section, and then close back up with a pair of pliers. Close it up far enough to grip the bubble strip. Protect the clamp using a cloth.

PXL_20220428_144846941.jpg
PXL_20220428_145001052.jpg

Installing the lever can be tricky if you've never done it before, so It's worth having a practice on just the loose clamp before actually installing.

Once your comfortable, away you go:

You want the clamp lever to be tightened just enough so that the clamp can be slid in to place whilst open, but is secure when the lever is closed.

PXL_20220428_150317782.jpg
PXL_20220428_150902411.jpg

I hope this is of use to those working on the Obi Kit, and that it gives a little insight in to what's going on behind the scenes on the Obi Stunt commissions. :)

I'll post another detailed post soon focussing more on the V2 commissions. (y)

For those looking for a tutorial for the V2 kits, there was a brief run down in this post:

I'll go in to more depth in the next update.

For now though, good luck on your builds everyone! Can't tell you how happy I am that these are starting to arrive with people. :)

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

All the best and MTFBWY!

Dave

Last edited:
My DaveP V2 just turned up! Couldn’t wait to unwrap it! It’s stunning. Thanks Dave for all your hard work. This one features a vintage clamp, vintage Transcriptor cone knob and vintage boot stud.View attachment 1567589View attachment 1567590View attachment 1567591View attachment 1567592View attachment 1567593View attachment 1567594View attachment 1567595
Wow, that’s some serious pommel damage. I’ve never seen any of the finished replica props look that gnarled up. Did the original look like that?

Wow, that’s some serious pommel damage. I’ve never seen any of the finished replica props look that gnarled up. Did the original look like that?
This is the reference I use for the pommel:

POMMEL REF.png

It was pretty beat up by the time it was used for ROTJ.

There's a BTS video somewhere that shows Hamill bashing it in to the ground, pommel down during rehearsals.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back