Interest CFO Indiana Jones “Raiders of the Lost Ark” Cherubs interest thread.

Don't overpay on finishing these cherubs guys. As perfect as you will receive them from sskunky, the chroming process can still crack or lift slightly over time. So don't throw too much money to the chrome guys!

That’s good to know. Thank you for saying as much. I have no idea what’s a fair price for that step and I couldn’t really find anyone to get back to me about wanting to do it.

Sean

That’s vastly overpriced for these. I didn’t pay nearly that much for them to be done at the place that did the originals. You shouldn’t be paying much over $100-$150 per piece. The only reason we charged more was because every 10 there were only maybe 3 perfect Cherubs and our customers expected perfection. So a lot of man how’s was spent re-preparing the rejects for chroming again.
There should be next to no work needed doing with our casts. Maybe a degrease and going over with a fine tooth comb if you are as anal as me.

That’s vastly overpriced for these. I didn’t pay nearly that much for them to be done at the place that did the originals. You shouldn’t be paying much over $100-$150 per piece. The only reason we charged more was because every 10 there were only maybe 3 perfect Cherubs and our customers expected perfection. So a lot of man how’s was spent re-preparing the rejects for chroming again.
There should be next to no work needed doing with our casts. Maybe a degrease and going over with a fine tooth comb if you are as anal as me. ��

Mark, is there any chance you could offer a limited number of these that are already chromed? I get why you are offering the pre-step version for those building an Ark to match, but there really is another strong group of us here that have no knowledge about where to go, questions to ask and how to direct expectations to finish this! We could really benefit from you managing a bulk order for pricing and would be supportive to pay what you need to charge. In fact, I have not decided for sure, but this could be the deciding factor in me going ahead with a purchase. Thanks for any consideration!!

Mark, is there any chance you could offer a limited number of these that are already chromed? I get why you are offering the pre-step version for those building an Ark to match, but there really is another strong group of us here that have no knowledge about where to go, questions to ask and how to direct expectations to finish this! We could really benefit from you managing a bulk order for pricing and would be supportive to pay what you need to charge. In fact, I have not decided for sure, but this could be the deciding factor in me going ahead with a purchase. Thanks for any consideration!!

I can look into it but........ this process is not perfect and is hand finished. This means there may be the odd imperfections on the surface. Sometimes dust particles get caught up in the process and other factors mean the surface has tiny marks. I’m only talking tiny and once on display you’d never see them but I will not be redoing any of them as that requires very careful fine sanding to allow the chrome to be reapplied and quite frankly I simply do not have the time to do this.
I can put you down for a chromed pair and if I get enough interest I’ll get some prices.
The other factor is price. The last chromed run I did was £1150 a pair. I may be able to bring this price down a bit if I’m not spending hours/days redoing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damn, the details in these things are beautiful. does the chroming lose some of the detail work? aproximate size for these is? thanks!

The chrome is only microns thick so details still look good.
They are quite big. I forget exact measurements now as all my old sales threads have been deleted where I had measurements posted.
I’ll take a pic with some size reference.
982126bfb2419a963efd35c8231b6ef2.jpg
b4e26c1c2d16f1cb0a1d50495f4841ba.jpg
3bafb75d86f7750e18430526fe5d5eb5.jpg

batmann,
did the quote that you procured account for ensuring that the chrome process looked perfect (as Mark had done for the initial run)? Maybe that was the reason for the higher quote?

That’s good to know. Thank you for saying as much. I have no idea what’s a fair price for that step and I couldn’t really find anyone to get back to me about wanting to do it.

Sean

I can look into it but........ this process is not perfect and is hand finished. This means there may be the odd imperfections on the surface. Sometimes dust particles get caught up in the process and other factors mean the surface has tiny marks. I’m only talking tiny and once on display you’d never see them but I will not be redoing any of them as that requires very careful fine sanding to allow the chrome to be reapplied and quite frankly I simply do not have the time to do this.
I can put you down for a chromed pair and if I get enough interest I’ll get some prices.
The other factor is price. The last chromed run I did was £1150 a pair. I may be able to bring this price down a bit if I’m not spending hours/days redoing them.

I completely understand what you are explaining here and willing to accept very minor dust particles and other factors that once on display are not seen. I trust that you being the expert would know what to accept and I can live with it. I do think there would be others here, willing to work within these same guidelines and group together to have a reduced price to finish. Remember anyone not taking this final step, will have to pay to ship their cherubs out & back again and not be present to inspect the end result; as this will likely occur out of state. Thanks Mark for any consideration!

Honestly I’m not 100% sure. This is what he said in an email:

“I'd estimate a cost of $600 to $650 to complete prep, basecoat, silver metalize and gold topcoat including an acrylic urethane clearcoat for long term protection.”

He says he’s done several full arks and some cherubs.

Before this post I was contemplating going with a set of cherubs from some online church that makes arks (not identical to ROTA) except for the cherubs, they looked like the correct cherubs but NOTHING like the ones on this thread. No where near as clean either and get delivered straight from the cast.

I’d much rather go with this set but it sounds like Coat of Chrome is a little pricey according to sage advice from others. If sskunky offers a chromed set that would probably still be cheaper is my guess unless someone else has s lead on getting them chromed at a reasonable price.

Sean

batmann,
did the quote that you procured account for ensuring that the chrome process looked perfect (as Mark had done for the initial run)? Maybe that was the reason for the higher quote?

just bumping this up. if having these chromed were an option (even with the added cost), i am pretty sure we would get to 10. :)

Another 3 pairs and we can get this project running. It would be a shame to not run this but my moulding and casting guy won’t make new moulds unless we get to at least 10 pairs.

come on people, you know how wonderful the first SSkunky run was. let's get another one in the books!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back