Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

Thanks!

I took the Velcro off and cleaned all the glue, then roughed up both sides with some sandpaper.

I applied a good amount of epoxy to the back half, stuck it in place with some clamps and let it cure.
I then went in the back and hot glued the heck out of it just to be safe. The seam isn't perfect, but I'm afraid bondo will just come right off so I'm gonna live with it being messy.

Superglue didn't really want to stick, but the epoxy seems to have done the trick. Good luck! :)

Could you please post some photos of your helmet? Im really interested in what your adding to it

Here is the cast one piece new stalk with metal rod for a bit more support. The extended look definitely brings the entire look of the helmet a bit more to where I want it. A directly replacement for the standard one that comes with the helmet. If anyone is interested in one, feel free to let me know.

A bit of a size comparison as well for those who still aren't sure if the helmet is worth it. Shot is next to my animefan Fett helmet. The RF stalk extension cast I made and a size comparison of the ear and range finder piece. Ignore the warped mandibles on the animefan helmet, the recent heat wave did that while I thought it'd be safe in the garage, fixing it this weekend with some fiberglass support for it lol.

Last edited:
hello, long time lurker, etc....
I wanted to suggest to people looking for these helmets at Target to keep checking.
I was at my local Target (Indpls)yesterday and they had none of the helmets.
I went today and they had 1 Kylo Ren(with dents) 1 Boba Fett (very nice for the price) 1 Darth Vader (not a good mold at all) and 2 First Order Stormtroopers.
I like others found these in the Halloween section.

Of the 2 Stormtroopers, on one the front half had separated from the rear section and I couldn't tell how well it would go back together so I bought the other one of course.
Definitely going to need some work but for $30 not bad at all.

My Target also restocked these helmets yesterday, so I purchased a second Fett helmet to customize. Last week they had a different one left, but the RF was missing, the visor was scratched up, it was out of its box, and their was some type of bodily fluid on the back of the helmet. Needless to say, I didn't pick that one up.

Thanks for the pics, shenphong. :thumbsup The Fett and Kylo helmets look like great low-budget project potential.

I saw the Kylo helmet in Target today. It looked good, but I'm wondering if the Black Series version with the voice changer will be a better purchase in the long run.

A cardboard box/base for the Fett helmet was also there, but the helmet was gone! Oh, well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd share how I lengthened my RF stalk. Not a strictly accurate result, but certainly better and sturdier than the original, and a really quick fix.

I had some rectangular K+S brass tubing that the plastic stalk almost fit perfectly inside of, so I trimmed the plastic down, ground the it a little thinner, and wedged it into the brass. The part that attaches to the helmet needed to be filed slightly to fit the new stock. The to rangefinder piece needed a slightly bigger hole to accommodate the brass. Cut the brass to the right length, and it all fits back together. I thought I'd have to break out the epoxy, but everything is friction fit very nicely.

IMG_5621_zpsgbo4ugvv.jpg IMG_5623_zpsk5uciwiw.jpg IMG_5624_zpsejw73kqx.jpg

Thought I'd share how I lengthened my RF stalk. Not a strictly accurate result, but certainly better and sturdier than the original, and a really quick fix.

I had some rectangular K+S brass tubing that the plastic stalk almost fit perfectly inside of, so I trimmed the plastic down, ground the it a little thinner, and wedged it into the brass. The part that attaches to the helmet needed to be filed slightly to fit the new stock. The to rangefinder piece needed a slightly bigger hole to accommodate the brass. Cut the brass to the right length, and it all fits back together. I thought I'd have to break out the epoxy, but everything is friction fit very nicely.

View attachment 529593 View attachment 529594 View attachment 529595

Awesome idea Jas!
I noticed today that mine has started to bend over ever so slightly so reinforcement is definitely in order!

View attachment 529593 View attachment 529594 View attachment 529595

What is the length of the brass stock?

I'm trying to get some decent spray paint colors for Fett. I think this is what I will use.
Dome and cheeks - Rustoleum Satin Moss Green
e3b983a6-3cc3-4b7f-b82e-b6a56b154250_300.jpg
102_3142.JPG

Mandibles -
DSCN3653.jpg

Back -
299d72ea-ef45-4096-90c8-a02c402357d4_1000.jpg

And for the upper cheek area, is it black or dark green? I've seen both. I haven't found a good dark green yet.

What is the length of the brass stock?
I found conflicting reports of the correct length on TDH, so I went with the longest, which was 187mm, plus the height of the inside of the RF (not counting the protrusion on the bottom of the RF where it fits in, since that's supposed to be part of the stalk). I figured I can always trim it shorter.
Can someone do a comparison to both Kylo Ren helmets? There are two different kinds? Both the same size?
I saw both side by side at a store yesterday. The front is the same, the back piece is the same size, just devoid of almost all detail on the smooth one. There are pictures of both versions separately earlier in this thread.

I'm trying to get some decent spray paint colors for Fett. I think this is what I will use.
Dome and cheeks - Rustoleum Satin Moss Green
e3b983a6-3cc3-4b7f-b82e-b6a56b154250_300.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AP5X9V9CUr4/Twu5yW0GkEI/AAAAAAAABOE/y-kNMhBJujM/s1600/102_3142.JPG

Mandibles - http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee152/wasian538/Bike/DSCN3653.jpg

Back - http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/29/299d72ea-ef45-4096-90c8-a02c402357d4_1000.jpg

And for the upper cheek area, is it black or dark green? I've seen both. I haven't found a good dark green yet.

Check out thedentedhelmet.com for a list of paint colors and stencils

Don't get me wrong I love me som fett stuff.....

But has anyone done any work on these trooper helmets yet?

Mines coming along. Lots of learning curves working with this type of plastic, but it's coming together.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back