Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

Went to my local target again today. Still no sign of them or a place for them to be...

I'd like to see them.

I've been to 2 different targets... Each more than once.

Online each one in our area says "limited availability" but when I call or ask, they say the item # isn't in their system...

Same in Kansas City...went looking for them last night at three Targets, and finally found a Darth Vader at the last one back in the Seasonal Section. The other two didn't even have a spot on the shelf.

Saw Boba Fett and 2 Troopers on the shelf. I've seen all the helmets in the store other than Vader.

I passed on Fett, he did see cart time, but I can wait until Ponte is done with my FPH2!

It looks like the old Don Post Vader. It's very undersized and not the same quality as the other three helmets. I'm actually surprised that it's selling so well. It's the only one I expected to find without looking but it's the only one that is completely sold out within a 60 mile radius.

Found a Kylo. Yep "seasonal" or Halloween section for sure.

This is an all new version too kids... It has no dents. No tabs. And the back piece is tucked under and glued to the front...

Only 1 in town though!

But the 2 other stores are supposed to set out their Halloween section tomorrow.

The trooper just doesn't look right at all...

The kylo looks like it needs to be bonded and filled and repainted. It's a bit fat faced, but when you squeeze it about a half inch it really does look great.

10 out of 10 for a 30$ helmet though.

Out of the box it looks awesome from a distance. Like a toy up close.

It looks like the old Don Post Vader. It's very undersized and not the same quality as the other three helmets. I'm actually surprised that it's selling so well. It's the only one I expected to find without looking but it's the only one that is completely sold out within a 60 mile radius.

Even undersized, Vader is still a very popular character with the kiddos. (those commercials were awefully cute) The one I did find was a Vader though.

I picked up my Boba Fett today, went to two Targets. The second one had it and the guy had to get it out back. I was happy. Now to buy some paint.

FINALLY scored a Fett, already working on some fun mods. Extending the stalk, will most likely cast the stalk with a metal rod in it for stability.

The shape of the Fett is really quite good, a great modding helmet and infintely better looking than the crappy old vinyl Don Post I started out with way back in the 90s.

FINALLY scored a Fett, already working on some fun mods. Extending the stalk, will most likely cast the stalk with a metal rod in it for stability.

How hard is it to get the side pieces off? I don't wanna break anything. They are a tad loose so I'm just slowly prying at it but don't want it to snap.

My Kylo (and trooper!) just arrived in the mail today. I got the one with no dents as well which I honesty prefer. If it comes out there are dents in the back it should be an easy mod, but I think it looks better smooth.

It is actually feels about twice the thickness of the Boba helmet. It is surprisingly strong.

Get ready for more pictures from me..:$ Painting begins tonight!

How hard is it to get the side pieces off? I don't wanna break anything. They are a tad loose so I'm just slowly prying at it but don't want it to snap.

Its held on via plastic tabs. None of mine broke and I pretty much just yanked it off and pried it a bit with a box cutter. The plastic was stressed a bit (you can see the red plastic discolor a bit) but its still on there. I'll be epoxying mine when I reattach it but the tabs look like they'll be holding just fine.

IMAG1113.jpg

Just wanted to share this if it will help anyone on the Kylo helmet. These are the shapes on the bottom of the helmet.. freehanded some templates and cut them out of 1/16th ABS. I'll see how they fit and if they're alright I'll scan my templates for you folks. :)

View attachment 529095

Just wanted to share this if it will help anyone on the Kylo helmet. These are the shapes on the bottom of the helmet.. freehanded some templates and cut them out of 1/16th ABS. I'll see how they fit and if they're alright I'll scan my templates for you folks. :)

Can you give me some advice on how to get the two kylo ren halves together in a way that isn't too difficult? I'm running into difficulties and your boba fett looks amazing

Can you give me some advice on how to get the two kylo ren halves together in a way that isn't too difficult? I'm running into difficulties and your boba fett looks amazing
Thanks!

I took the Velcro off and cleaned all the glue, then roughed up both sides with some sandpaper.

I applied a good amount of epoxy to the back half, stuck it in place with some clamps and let it cure.
I then went in the back and hot glued the heck out of it just to be safe. The seam isn't perfect, but I'm afraid bondo will just come right off so I'm gonna live with it being messy.

Superglue didn't really want to stick, but the epoxy seems to have done the trick. Good luck! :)

The shape of the Fett is really quite good, a great modding helmet and infintely better looking than the crappy old vinyl Don Post I started out with way back in the 90s.

The 1995 Don Post standard Boba Fett helmet (about $60 US back in the day) was actually very good, just a little bit undersized. Came in both a white and green "plastic" version.

Here's my old 1995 "green" version:

100_0875.JPG100_0871.JPG100_0876.JPG

Same molds used for the 1996 version (year is stamped on the back of the helmet with the copyright), but then there was MAJOR deterioration from 1997 on, and they used some kind of a cheap vinyl that warped quite easily. From 1997 on, including into the Rubies, were/ are horrible.

I've had both versions of the 1995 helmet (sold them long ago) and I currently have a low number 1996 Don Post Deluxe fiberglass Fett helmet (a derivative of the Pre-Production 2 Fett helmet from 1979).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back