Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Lord Magneto, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Lord Magneto

Lord Magneto Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. NachyoChez

NachyoChez New Member

If previous experience in these kinds of products holds true, they're going to be WAY too small for my head. Thankfully there's always pep!

3. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I saw both the trooper and Kylo helmets last night. The trooper was decent, though really badly painted. The Jylo however is broken up into two halves, so it would need a lot more work.

4. alienbuilder

alienbuilder Well-Known Member

this look like rubies... if it is, i doupt the pictures show what you would get...

5. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Can anyone confirm the size on these? They didn't have much of anything at my local target and in hesitant to buy online without knowing for sure.

6. Kylash

I didnt try them on, but they felt like adult size. They were definitely by Rubies. Both would need quite a bit of work, even the trooper helmet was two halves badly glued together, and the paint was horrendous. It honestly looked almost nothing like the photo.

7. vader1974

vader1974 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I got a kylo for a budget / quick Halloween / movie opening costume. I have taken it out of the box yet, but surely I can make it look acceptable.

8. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Awesome, thank you!

Feel simultaneously better and worse about the helmets... :lol
    vader1974 Any pics bud?

9. vader1974

vader1974 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No pics yet. Bought a voice changing kylo at the Disney store. I may use that as a base instead.

10. Lord Magneto

Ok just bought The trooper and kylo ten helmet from target. $20 out the door for both woot woot. $10 off $50 plus had a gift card laying around that I found. Will post some pics later tonight

11. Lord Magneto

nice. Post some pics when you get back. I saw a kylo wall light thing at target that had some great detail

12. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Struck out again!

I am just having no luck with this Force Friday crap!

Rolled to two targets which were supposed to have them in stock.. one target had a Vader and the other had a Boba. Both felt on the small side, the Vader being downright tiny.

I'm going to check one last target and hopefully leave with a trooper and a Kylo! Fingers crossed!

13. Kylash

The photo on Target's site is pretty accurate to how it looked in person, though the halves dont quite fit together that well.

14. riguitargod

riguitargod New Member

So I'm still very new to doing costume with armor. What sort of improvements would you make to helmet like this?

15. Lord Magneto

Mr Mold Maker and ajb3art like this.
  16. MCM

MCM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There are a few things one can do to improve these types of helmets. The first thing would be to get rid of the seam lines. Most folks use auto body filler like Bondo to take care of this. Many people will reinforce their helmets with fiberglass, which can be easily done with an automotive fiberglassing kit. A new paint job is a must, and new lenses/visors are always preferred. I hope that helps!

RhianDeGirondel likes this.
  17. riguitargod

riguitargod New Member

Thanks, it's a big help! Seeing the pictures in the post before yours, which show the seam made that immediately obvious as one of the big things to do.

I've had a half-started Captain America pepakura helmet for nearly a year, and I've really wanted to start getting some hands on experience with Bondo, even if not finishing this Cap helmet... I feel like maybe improving on something like these is a good way to get some starting experience...

MCM likes this.
  18. darthvader073

darthvader073 Active Member

So.... can we say that Kylos' helmet isn't so bad?

ajb3art likes this.
  19. Lord Magneto

Yep. That's exactly what I'm planning on. I don't mind if they arnt 100% accurate. I just want some nice looking helmets for my man cave.

20. MCM

MCM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A project like this would certainly be less of a gargantuan task than a pepakura helmet. I think you've got the right idea; fixing up a pre-made helmet would be good training for taking on a full-on scratch build.

21. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

Kylo. Its a rubies helmet but from target. Its large, im 6'2 and its almost too big on me . Need to mod the inside, rechrome the silver and reweather / repaint the thing, probably seal it and lose the velcro, maybe mod the jawline w some foam add ons, and ad a visor lense. Overall way worth it.
    . image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

ABE and Mr Mold Maker like this.
  22. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

its worth noting that the rear helmet of kylo that i posted does not match the rear of another posted here, it seems there are multiple versions floating around in true rubies fashion, so buyer beware. im fine with the undetailed back personally lol.

23. Lord Magneto

Yea man the helmet is huge.

The Storm trooper helmet fits great. The kylo helmet is waaay too big. I have a 24" head and its swimming in it.

24. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

A 65 mile round trip to three stores and I got nada. :(

Very jealous of you guys who scored today! Guess I'm just ordering online and hoping I get good casts. :lol

Anyone wanna throw the Kylo or Troopers on and get some worn pics so I can see size? I tried to pop my head in the Vader helmet and it was tiny! I'm a big guy, but not that big.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  25. Lord Magneto

Mr Mold Maker likes this.
  26. CalMusquez

CalMusquez Member

God that vader looks awful.

27. ABE

ABE Well-Known Member

28. Lord Magneto

ok here is my in depth look

Mr Mold Maker likes this.
  29. Gimpdiggity

Gimpdiggity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So the Storm Trooper one looks like it might be a good one to do a first "makeover" of.

I've been looking for a winter project. I've made some Captain America helmets out of EVA, but never really reworked something that's already been made. I might give it a go with the Trooper helmet.

30. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Awesome! Thanks for the vid! I ordered as soon as I saw the sizing was A-OK. :)

That stormtrooper is going to make a very nice helmet!

31. Lord Magneto

Yea that stormtrooper helmet is a great starting point.

Certainly not perfect but it will look great up on my shelf. Fits great as well

32. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Reinforcing the seam, and filling it and those three holes in the grills are what I'm planning to do first. I may see how a flat lens sits, but I'll most likely work up a quick stone buck and vacuum form the bubble lens.

I have no clue where to begin with Kylo. Might end up just getting the seam filled and a repaint. Looks like it will definitely need some padding as well.

33. ajb3art

ajb3art Active Member

wearing the kylo, actually size wise it really fits fine just gotta pad it up like a dred helmet. if ur a fiarly large person this is fine, but yeah maybe picking up the voice changer hlemet and finishing it in foam would be better for most.

20150904_221416.jpg

34. Ronjermz

Ronjermz New Member

Will u be doing a step by step process? Ive been part of this site for almost a year now, and I've finally decided to delve into costume/prop making, and saw this as the perfect opportunity to start, especially to get ready for the premier and would like to know exactly what to do before I get started.

35. Lord Magneto

Yea I was planning on documenting the process starting next week... fair warning... i move slow haha

36. Mean Obiwan

Mean Obiwan Well-Known Member

I just walked back in the door from Target. They had two of the trooper helmets. I tried one on and it fit OK, maybe a tad smaller than I would like. But yeah, I think with a little bondo and some paint, add some lenses, one could have a pretty nice piece.
    Unfortunately I spent all of my Force Friday money on the figures and didn't have enough for a helmet. Oh well, I'm happy with what I got.
    I live in a fairly small Texas town, so they may still have some come next payday.

rjaykus likes this.
  37. Ronjermz

Ronjermz New Member

Haha it's ok... Moving out for college soon and wasn't planning on working on it until I come back for breaks

38. hellbound666

hellbound666 New Member

the black series KYLO helmet im sure will be seemless and comes chrome painted not silver it looks like.. 89.99 . Have only seen the box, frontal view

39. hellbound666

hellbound666 New Member

BLACK SERIES
    The suppliers have confirmed a current ship date to all retailers as 30th September, 2015.Please see our FAQ's for more information 000_xpr1JRF.jpg.size-600_maxheight-600_square-true.jpg

MCM likes this.
  40. justinbauler

justinbauler Well-Known Member

is there a black series trooper helmet as well?

41. hellbound666

hellbound666 New Member

i didnt see one in the list of products... black series and fx kylo caught my eye real fast....was hoping it was going to be in stores last night...

42. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Great vid, thanks for taking the time to post it, looks like these could be made in to awesome helmets and a great projects for converting , for the price it's too good to pass up, look forward to seeing what the guys on here come up with

43. Lord Magneto

gah * that looks nice.

44. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

I had assumed it would be very close to the $30 one, just with electronics, visor, and chrome paint.

If they are from drastically different molds I may have to pick it up as well.

45. reelprops

reelprops Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just grabbed the ST and Kylo ( Paid $5.00 for one of them ). Target has the $25 off $100 purchase. Not too shabby. I plan to mod both. Shouldn't take much work. The Kylo is huge. Not screen accurate, but acceptable.

Reel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lord Magneto likes this.
  46. alienbuilder

alienbuilder Well-Known Member

I m exited what you will make out of these. really like to see modifications to make a cheap piece transformed to a high quality collectible. I would trie a cheap motorcycle visor for the ST lens though, just like this one...
    large_179_BubbleVisor_Mirror-Hlmt.jpg
    not sure if I m right, but to me it looks like the original helmet visors are looking pretty similar when cut out..

47. 5xxicemanxx5

5xxicemanxx5 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WP_20150904_031.jpg I got lucky and found one those kylo ren helmets I'm surprised how big it is this helmet can definitely be modified with additional details based on the movie definitely going to do some touches on this bucket

48. kristen jones

kristen jones Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have one of these on pre-order, and it only said 'arriving sept. 2015"..... so thanks for the clarification that it ships to all retailers Sept. 30th. That gives me a time table. Can't wait! :thumbsup

49. MichaelMyers78

MichaelMyers78 New Member

Here's a box pic:
    [​IMG]

50. ajt

ajt New Member

How did the Boba Fett helmet look in person? From the photo it looks like it is flat or sunk in on the top. Is it worth picking up to easily modify like the Stormtrooper?

Definitely thinking about picking up the Stormtrooper though.