YAFF - Yet Another 5 Footer Falcon Build

JediMichael,
I share your feelings about CAD & 3D printing. Embarrassed to admit I have not kept up with engineering technology.

Love your term “overwhelmed“ relative to a 5 foot Falcon. Perfect summation on how I feel at this stage of the build. Someone said you have to be crazy. That fits too.
Yeah. I mean, at first, I felt a bit overwhelmed on just painting my mpc Falcon. But thankfully its turning out pretty good.

I assume the low-rez FDM prints of the underlying support structure is in PLA?
Truly amazing work! and a well thought out approach
May I ask whos plans you have based this on ? If Joshua's which version?
Thanks...sorry if my questions were already earlier in this thread.
Great Job!
Cheers, yeah the support structure is PLA+, still ends up quite heavy even tho i kept the infill at a minimum, so my Chandelier might need some extra support.
I pretty much did the designs myself based on all of the available info on this site.
Hoping to get back on to it in a few months, its been a lot of fun so far. (And a demo version of my game should be on steam in a few weeks.

Lost the argument with the wife, years ago about how a 3 foot Star destroyer would make a great chandelier! ;)
Sooooooo.......that got me googling star destroyer chandelier....and nothing actually came up....sadly.
I see people have done a basic death star one. More a hanging lamp than chandelier...but I then thought of the MOST PERFECT CHANDELIER EVER.....
The death stars hyper matter reactor. That could be made to look really cool, and not everyone would even know.
5ynz23s2f0e21.jpg

I seem to miss so many threads here in this place.
I find it interesting that so many are tackling the 5 footer, but each in different unique ways.
Besides having no knowledge to model anything in 3D, or about to this whole 3D printing works, even still, I would feel a bit overwhelmed trying to attempt a 5 foot Falcon...plus not having the room at all for the build or display.
I get overwhelmed about the idea too! I have to break the project down into sections...space Ha hahha
I dont have the space either but I'll find one! :lol:...maybe the LHS or at work in my office. In 2014 I naively thought It would take a year to get all the kits...well it took 3 years. Now getting all my ducks in a row hope to start work on the bird in earnest next year
learning a lot with different approaches like this one (this thread)

One thing... In many cases I want to take the approach...not necessarily permanently gluing components together
...but with regards to the interior support structures and such..."fasten" them together but with a mind that they can be disassembled if necessary
I did that with the 1/12 X-wing...a bit more work and planning in the design phase but worth it expecially if you need to make changes

I get overwhelmed about the idea too! I have to break the project down into sections...space Ha hahha
I dont have the space either but I'll find one! :lol:...maybe the LHS or at work in my office. In 2014 I naively thought It would take a year to get all the kits...well it took 3 years. Now getting all my ducks in a row hope to start work on the bird in earnest next year
learning a lot with different approaches like this one (this thread)

One thing... In many cases I want to take the approach...not necessarily permanently gluing components together
...but with regards to the interior support structures and such..."fasten" them together but with a mind that they can be disassembled if necessary
I did that with the 1/12 X-wing...a bit more work and planning in the design phase but worth it expecially if you need to make changes
Doing a true 5 footer is a whole lot of work. Have you seen Sean's that he finished a few years ago now?
His is so perfect, he really set the bar quite high for everyone else.
Either way, just have fun doing it.

I seem to miss so many threads here in this place.
I find it interesting that so many are tackling the 5 footer, but each in different unique ways.
Besides having no knowledge to model anything in 3D, or about to this whole 3D printing works, even still, I would feel a bit overwhelmed trying to attempt a 5 foot Falcon...plus not having the room at all for the build or display.

Sean is a friend of mine, i loaned him som kit parts and gave him some decals so he could do some finishing touches in time for that big gig celebarating the anniversary of the FX?awards and the debut of the restored orignal Dykstraflex CameraSeanhas still been patiently waiting for me to finish some 2D art replicating a number of the Falcon's decals

Hey man this is looking awesome! What infill are you printing that frame? It looks about 3-4 times thicker than you need it to be with all that structure. No wonder you’re waiting so long for your prints to finish. You should really consider coring more of it out. You could definitely get away with 3mm thick walls in most of your build especially since most of it looks like you are flying flat walls to flat walls, doubling your wall thicknesses. I’d say you could reduce the weight of that frame by at least 75%.

Well my Games been out for a few months now, so I decided to get back into this beast.
Couple that with the purchase of a new resin printer.

So in the last few weeks, I have got back into modelling - working on the mandible parts for a start, pits etc etc.

Pretty pictures attached

Attachments

• RMandible.jpg
    RMandible.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240401_164428.jpg
    20240401_164428.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • 20240401_164403.jpg
    20240401_164403.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
Another run of prints - most of the weekend modelling these - and still a few tweaks, but taking shape.
Should stress my first runs are only printed at 0.05mm, finals will be at 0.02mm, might even try them on the Bambu at some stage just to see how they hold up using an FDM printer

Attachments

• 20240401_233348.jpg
    20240401_233348.jpg
    996 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240401_233342.jpg
    20240401_233342.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240401_233355.jpg
    20240401_233355.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 20240401_233357.jpg
    20240401_233357.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 20240401_233330.jpg
    20240401_233330.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • 20240401_233336.jpg
    20240401_233336.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
Decided to switch my modelling tools to Autodesk Fusion on the recommendation of a friend, should allow me to reduce some of the sharpness as well.
Bit of a learning curve, as haven't really used it before, but making progress. (Yes I know its not hollow etc, yet, and I still have to split it)
I'm going to work mainly on the engine greeblies now, while I learn, but that's half the fun of it.

Cheers D

Attachments

• 82.png
    82.png
    504 KB · Views: 38
You’ll pick it up no problem, I use autodesk fusion 360 for all my work ( just basic stuff nothing fancy ) then blender for details

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back