5 Foot Falcon Replica - ANH

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by t2sides, Oct 9, 2017.

1. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Hello RPF'rs
    Started this big fella about a year ago, but haven't done much over the summer as I moved homes. Now have a workshop setup, and picking back up on her. I'll try to share the progress as it continues, so a lot of these pics were taken before I've restarted. Should be a fun journey, and am just amazed at the work other Falcon builders/designers and research work that has been accomplished to help those of us that are attempting to build this big model. I'm doing a lot of 'free hand' construction to assemble this, and referencing the amazing blueprints Maruska and VFXsup64 have shared. Eagle1's build is looking just incredible, and it's so awesome to see/compare how we tackle building these.
    I'll start here with the Mandibles, as they were the first part I constructed. I'm going mostly a full styrene/kit approach for Greeblies on this, and only casting parts when absolutely necessary.
    Starting the Mandible
    IMG_5681.JPG
    IMG_5685.JPG IMG_5683.JPG
    Filling in the Pits
    STBMand14.jpg
    Sidewall details
    STBMand13.jpg STBMand12.jpg STB Mand11.jpg
    IMG_6325.JPG IMG_6320.JPG STBMand16.jpg

Axlotl, David3, newmagrathea and 9 others like this.
  2. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

SO nice to see this public unveiling!! You are forging ahead into uncharted waters, like a BOSS

3. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

6" Dish construction and now in primer. I realized they 'routed' out the Plastruct dome for this, so I copied that approach, then cut out the rounded raised lip to make it flush on the two sides. Lined up to match as best possible to the Sealab/IX part. (I still have to clean up the filler nubs in the Saturn V cone.)
    . IMG_7885.JPG Dish2.jpg Dish1.jpg IMG_0973.JPG IMG_0974.JPG

Attached Files:

4. eagle1

eagle1 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome to have your build here finally Sean & to keep me on pace haha. Yes, so many people to thank for making these builds doable, without them & all the knowledge that we have gathered, our builds will be pretty darn faithful to the filming miniature.
    Your work Sean is as always so clean & sharp. Not to mention you work at a dizzying pace, I'm still in awe over this fact!.

Radar dish looks incredible!

Stu

5. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks Jason and Stu!! Appreciate it!
    Here's a few shots of the Docking Ring and Arms. (the camera distorts the angle of the ring, the angle is more pronounced in person)
    I'm currently working on the top port arm and the underside ones.
    IMG_6589.JPG IMG_6590.JPG DockingRings.jpg IMG_0975.JPG IMG_0976.JPG IMG_6940.JPG IMG_6941.JPG IMG_0978.JPG

6. bigpetr

bigpetr Member

Amazing work. I have a question for you, experienced and knowlegable modelers. I compared this bandai perfect grade Falcon drawings

http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/products_img/millenniumfalcon_72_markinglocation.pdf

with Maruska and VFXsup64 blueprints and 3d base model. There are just minor diferences except this one:

Bandai vs Maruska-VFXsup64.jpg

Bandai model should be based on structure light scan of original, if I rember correctly. Can it be trusted? What do you think? Witch one is more right?

7. eagle1

Yes the Bandai Falcon is correct with the cockpit tube & cone diameter being 6'. Andre's plans had the 5 3/4" tube which was proven wrong quite a while back now & that measure came from my earlier workings out. So the correct diameter is indeed 6' & Bandai of course have it correct for the kit & that decal plan sheet.

Stu

bigpetr likes this.
  8. Vidar 710

Vidar 710 Active Member

Glad to see you up and running again Sean! Happy you’re settled in enough to open up shop. Awesome project! Don’t recall you telling me about this one. I’ll be watching. I’ll send this thread to Dan. Maybe he’ll become a member here. ;-)

Tracy

9. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks BigPetr for the link! Great stuff and excellent reference by Bandai! They did a GREAT job on that thing! Looking forward to getting that kit.
    Tracy, thanks!
    So here's some more background on the project. These are the maintenance pits and the bottom platform under construction.

Rear Starboard Pit

RearSTBRecess1.jpg RearSTBRecess.jpg

Lower Port Under Pit (I've since fixed the truck frame to be vertical properly)

PortUnder1.jpg PortUnder.jpg
    Between Mandibles

JawRecess.jpg

The Fwd Starboard Pit
    FWDrecess1.jpg FWDrecess.jpg
    Lower Starboard Pit
    STBUnder1.jpg

The Whole Gang!
    GangPhoto.jpg

Compare of underside pits:
    My Model on Top, Studio Mini on bottom (There are some minor differences for lack of having some parts at the time, but overall I feel I got pretty closed)
    Starboard Pit:
    STBUnderCompare.jpg
    Port Pit
    PortUnderCompare.jpg

And the underside landing gear platform coming into shape
    . DeckPlate2.jpg DeckPlate1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  10. star-art

star-art Sr Member

WOW Sean, so good to see you back here again! Fantastic work as always! And, all the more incredible given how unbelievably FAST you can build! It never ceases to amaze me! You continue running circles around the rest of us. :D

11. joberg

joberg Master Member

Amazing build! Pro-Job all the way:cool

12. Carnet

Carnet Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One of my favorite things about these 5 footer build threads is seeing all of the nurnies that I recognize from my SS y-wing project! It's like, "Oh hey, there is one of those, and there is five of those!" It gives me hope that I may be able to tackle this beast someday!

13. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

WOW! Excellent job so far. Really looking forward to seeing more!

14. SteveStarkiller

SteveStarkiller Sr Member

the stuff dreams are made of. Thanks for the all the great process images.

15. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Wow, great images.......thank you for posting them.....great work

....I feel all inspired now

John

16. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks much Guys!! Appreciate it!!
    Getting close to real time now... Here's a few shots of the main hull approach I'm taking. I started with the 'hamburger patty', built around a 2" PVC pipe so a 2" steel muffler pipe can go in across for carrying, then I have a vertical pipe that has a metal rod on the top/bottom to work as a stop for the steel pipe, but allows me to mount it vertical up/upside down. The lighting is just a nice bright white LED light strip that will be accessible if needed. The "Buns" I did similar to the original. I had them custom formed/blown (it took 12 attempts to make 3 good hemispheres) I am currently bonding the two 'bun' spheres to the patty, should have pics this weekend. I'll then add a 'extension' strip that emulates perfectly the overlap of the sphere including the 'lip' shape. More details on that on next update.

Patty Taking shape

IMG_6357.JPG image1.JPG

Blown domes
    Body2.jpg Dome1.jpg Dome2.jpg

Dry fitting assemblies
    IMG_7566.JPG IMG_7565.JPG IMG_7563.JPG body1.jpg IMG_7567.JPG

17. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

And the engine lights

both4.jpg Eng3.jpg eng4.jpg IMG_6394.JPG both2.jpg

I must point out, if it weren't for the COMMUNITY of awesome RPF'rs and good friends that have HELPED TREMENDOUSLY on tireless research and design, I NEVER could have even started building this. I fully intend to post a list of contributors to this project!! You guys are amazing and I want to THANK EVERYONE that has shared with me on this endeavor!! :thumbsup :cheers :cheers

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  18. vectorzero

vectorzero Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Absolutely brilliant work. I can never get over how big this thing is. Wish I had the space. (Notwithstanding the skills.)

19. 3DImpact

3DImpact Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic! Congrats on this - very nice work. Thanks for posting your progress pics and allowing the vicarious joy in a dream project...

Dan

20. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

I am truly speechless! I wish I had this kind of skill!

21. Gimme Shelter

Gimme Shelter Member

Crikes - amazing venture you have set yourself here - looking forward to watching you produce what looks to be an ILM masterpiece. I see you have Lorne's book in the background - my copy turned up last week - its brilliant and definitely a must have for this type of build - if only to add some moral support along the long journey you have ahead of yourself here.

You are going to have a lot of kit bashing to do - wishing you all the best on your model

John

22. maxhebus

maxhebus Well-Known Member

That is just WOW... Each time of of you crazy one doing a 5 foot version, I'm speechless.....

23. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

Amazing. I love, love, love :)
    When you complete how many will exist. Or how many exist already is what I'm asking?

I only know of the original and one other... is that right?

24. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks for the nice comments!! Yeah, it's a helluva a lot of work bringing this all together, but ridiculously fun (and consuming)!

Here's a couple quick shots of the top gun platform coming together. Will put the rocket launcher parts on next.

IMG_7890.JPG IMG_7892.JPG

Axlotl, bigpetr, TazMan2000 and 3 others like this.
  25. eethan

eethan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

oh wow, this is some next level scale model work! amazing, keep up the good work :thumbsup

26. joberg

joberg Master Member

Man, that's beautiful:cool

27. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Most impressive

28. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love this build.....please keep the updates coming.

29. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks!! Appreciate the comments!
    Got the domes bonded to the 'patty' now. I made the rough cutouts for the 'pits' and the antenna dish, then flipped it over and cut out the two larger 'pit' openings for the underside. I'll leave it upside down from this point and build up the entire bottom first, apply the dome edges, then the side details, then flip it back over and finish up the top.
    Finished up the Docking Arm Port for the top also (except filler putty needed in front of the Sherman), so both top docking arms are near ready to go. Once bonded to the domes, then I'll do the plating/greeblies to the sides of them.
    I also cleaned up the two lower docking arms. They'll get plating/top parts added next, then bonded to the lower dome. So here's a few progress shots:

Hard to see, but the top access pits all cut out.
    db2.jpg db1.jpg
    Placing one of the built up pits just to see it in there. These will all be placed up on stands to fit properly in the pit openings.
    db3.jpg

The Top Port Docking arm mostly done

db4.jpg

Both Top Docking arms with parts on
    db6.jpg

Dry fitting the lower docking arms. (looking at the front)

db5.jpg

Axlotl, Redman99, maxhebus and 7 others like this.
  30. EE89

EE89 New Member

It's so fascinating to watch your build progress! Spectacular!!

31. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Quite a job building something like this. Really nice looking.

32. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Lovely build. Nice and clean.

33. eagle1

So cool to see the domes bonded Sean, such a milestone to get the hull sealed up!. I'm not too far away from doing the same, albeit a slightly different method.
    Again...you work so darn fast my friend, but your work is always flawless & clean!.
    Going to be amazing seeing all the pits in place.

Stu

34. joberg

joberg Master Member

Beautiful work; Pro-Job all the way:cool

35. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks again Fellas!!! Yeah Stu, your build and progress is equally impressive!!
    Here's a few updates, finished the port walkway, and started mocking up the lower engine deck. After thats done, it and the walkways will get bonded down, then the recess pits going in. (PS - on the pic with the mandible, that is the SB mandible right side up, even though the hull is upside down - just there for a quick test fit)

Engine Deck started

ww2.jpg
    Engine Deck walls mocked up
    ww1.jpg
    ww3.jpg
    ww4.jpg
    ww6.jpg
    Both underside walkway tops done
    ww7.jpg
    ww8.jpg

ecl, Axlotl, Vidar 710 and 8 others like this.
  36. maxhebus

You guys will have to explain me how you can be accurate to cut a part yo fit a curved surface,,,,, Perpendicular to it or not....

37. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You lay a sheet of sandpaper on that surface and rub the part until it fits.

maxhebus likes this.
  38. maxhebus

I meant for long panel build like:
    [​IMG]

The sides are perfectly cut round to fit the main body clear part. I'm pretty sure that was not rubed on sand paper applied on the Plexiglas.
    Same thing for the cockpit corridor tube connecting to the curved shaped body....

Treadwell likes this.
  39. joberg

joberg Master Member

Marvelous job:cool

40. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Treadwell is right maxhebus! The rough contour is figured out, laser cut out of acrylic (for the walkways at least), then I use a combination of a belt sander and dremel to get the contour closer, then fine tune with varying grits of sandpaper. It's very much raw fabricating in order to get a flush fit. Particularly with making the bevel, all hand ground and sanded. Same goes with the cockpit tube, but with that fella, I cut a paper template, draw an outline on the tube, rough cut with a dremel, then fine tune again with dremel drum and then sandpaper. This is truly 'old school' hand labor, but the results are quite nice.

Joberg and other folks, thank you again for the kind comments!!

I'm off for a business trip this week, but will get some updates next weekend. I plan to have the engine deck bonded together then.
    Thanks,
    Sean

maxhebus likes this.
  41. faustus100

faustus100 Well-Known Member

How did you get the curved acrylic hull? Loops amazing!!

42. maxhebus

Thanks for the confirmation. Two sources are always better. ;)
    I thought you guys were using magic tool to transfer anything on any surface, I was far from imagining something that "simple".
    No curve or contour gauge or anything. Let say you do not laser cut anything like in 1976. :cool

43. Vidar 710

Vidar 710 Active Member

Sean,
    What are you using to cement the clear acrylic? I’ll be starting on the clear acrylic armature for the Excelsior soon. I bought a product that came from the place I bought my acrylic from - a water thin, and a thicker product. Just seeing what you’re using.

Tracy

44. Gimme Shelter

Gimme Shelter Member

that's amazing stuff going on there

45. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Outstanding work Sean!
    I got a question, where did you get the domes for that falcon for that size? im looking for 32" for a falcon build of my own.

46. t2sides

t2sides Sr Member

Thanks!
    Tracy (Vidar), I use both the liquid and the gel Acrylic solvent. When bonding two larger flat surfaces, like 'plates', I use the thin runny stuff. For bonding say a 1/8" side wall to a flat surface, I use the thick stuff. They both work great. Make sure you don't use them with any styrene though, it'll melt it!

Apophis and Faustus, I had the domes custom made by a skylight/plastics company. They are formed/blown from 3/16 acrylic to the specific diameter and height. It took about a dozen blows to get 3 good/accurate domes. (The company definitely lost money doing that for me, but they were committed to making it right for me). Because the tooling was too expensive, instead of going past the core, I chose to stop it at the edge, then will add the proper dome extensions. I had them 3D printed then cast (I'll post some pics soon of how those will accurately extend the dome and support the plating.)

Here's the latest update. I have bonded the lower engine deck and the two lower Docking Ring walkways, and did a first shot of primer on them. I'll probably wind up priming the rest of the lower dome before adding more plating as it will be a light leak blocker (and follows the same approach they did back in the day)

The bottom engine deck in place
    deck1.jpg deck2.jpg

The detail plate bonded down and dry fitting the engine extensions.
    deck3.jpg deck4.jpg

Walkways primed, bottom deck down with some plating started, and starting to dry fit the parts (Centurion Tank part rough cut)

deck5.jpg deck6.jpg

SofaKing01, Treadwell, Leigh and 7 others like this.
  47. faustus100

faustus100 Well-Known Member

Outstanding work,really stellar!

48. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

This is awesome!
    How did I miss this?

49. joberg

joberg Master Member

Beauty all around:cool

50. Leigh

Leigh Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER