Serenity Catalyser

Wow!!
Still no apologies?
And to think that the guy who flamed up things is currently reading this right now!!
I have absolutely no interest in firefly but read this guys comments on the firefly forum, bragging and cheering on people to do the same!
He even bragged about getting a warning.
I can't believe that with 36 posts he gets a warning , Michael you are too kind , if it was me he would of been banned off the forum for life.
If what he did and said he believes it's a community spirit then I am totally mistaken of the meaning of that!.
Can't believe glen you had to put up with this and give out information AFTer you were attacked.
You know me , and how I would of reacted!
But I guess you are more forgiving than me.
This low post guy comes here and questions zombies character ?
Mate you would not even come par at zombies shadow nor his commitment to props and especially his work.

My two cents
Marcel

As someone else described, it's likely it was just aerospace junk they bought by the pound from a scrap dealer. The prop people dug through it and found a piece that looked cool and shoved it in the hand of the actors saying 'here's the thing to use in that scene.'

More likely something like this was a rental. They wouldn't have purchased it unless it was going to be something that was recurring in every episode. Not on a TV budget, anyway.

The true irony here is that even if a casting was offered up at a reasonable price, only two or three people going bonkers over the politics of this find would actually buy one.

Everyone's a critic, nobody's a consumer.

More likely something like this was a rental. They wouldn't have purchased it unless it was going to be something that was recurring in every episode. Not on a TV budget, anyway.

The catalyzer is a reappearing prop.
There were eight of them strapped to the rotating core of Serenity's engine.
One was seen in "Out of Gas" and that one is in Nathan Fillion's possession.
Another was tossed by Wash in the junkyard on Ariel, landing against the side of the Ariel Ambulance.

But really, whether or not a prop is recurring or not isn't a good way to judge if it is a rental or purchased.
I found a number of set dressing items from Inara's shuttle on eBay, on sale from a closing rental house.
A number of the Firefly props acquired by Karl Derrick were purchased from rental houses,
including Simon's couch from Serenity's sickbay.

I don't know if the huge lot of aerospace junk that the production prop people used
to greeblie-up Serenity and populate the Ariel junkyard was purchased or rented.
I would say that the fact that the catalyzer never showed up anywhere else,
(as is often the case with prophouse rental items)
suggests that the junk lot was purchased by the production company;
only to be used and tossed out (like River's cryobox).

Mike
My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

BTW, thanks Glen. Due to all the hoo-ha about this item, I just bought the series on DVD.

Have never seen Firefly, and have no idea what this prop is :lol

Alan, up until recently i was not really a Firefly or Serenity fan either. In fact the Mals pistol i am redoing is my first firefly prop. I liked the movie Serenity, but when i tried to watch the series it confused the heck out of me because the story line it didn't seem to mesh with the movie. I started watching it on tv when they did marathons and it just grew on me, this episode is one of my favorites. I still don't even have the DVD of the series. I want to get it on BRay.

There is a movie too :confused

Great :unsure

* goes back to play.com * ..... :lol

Edit - Done. Gotta love the net :lol

Edit 2 - They must be good. Morena Baccarin is in them all :D

Last edited:
The episode was "out of gas".

1-5.jpg

it definitely wasn't a rental item and the one fillion owns was put in an episode of castle in which he dresses up as mal (not seen castle but happened upon the image when searching for the item) fillion had tweeted about it.

castle-eegg1.png

Wow!!
Still no apologies?....
Can't believe glen you had to put up with this and give out information AFTer you were attacked..

Well, in all fairness and to clarify... the information about the Janitrol mixing valve was actually revealed by me first on FFprops (since I managed to discover it myself after the thread closed), but ZK was still the first prop collector to find it. That credit is all his.

I actually spoke to a really cool helicopter technician the other day (not the one that has parts available- someone else) that instantly knew what I was talking about and is a big fan of the show. He started asking if I was remaking Firefly and said that if I was he'd send me one for free, lol! He had recognized the valve when he saw the show. (A shame he isn't a member here or we would have known about it YEARS ago, haha.)

I've been one of the more hard-core Firefly fans/collectors for a while now. I know a lot of folks both here and on the FF forum. I think what sparked the big flame was that the search for this part has so far been a community effort with information freely shared.That's where the sense of "entitlement", if there was any, came from (i.m.h.o.). In the end it all just got out of hand and maybe the locking of the thread was a tad premature since it didn't allow people to sort it out. So maybe everyone can just agree that everyone is sorry that it went down like it did and move on? Solid? :thumbsup

ZK... since you're a newer fan of the show and the Mal pistol is your first prop from it... why did you choose the catalyzer as the second? In the 1-2 years that is has taken to find it you could've gotten lots of other Verse props (like the 47a). It's not the most obvious prop to expend such effort in finding when you're not a hard-core fan.

Oh, and everyone should know that finding one that looks EXACTLY like the one in the show might be close to impossible. The manufacturing license for these has been passed down to several manufacturers. (Honeywell owns it now.) Depending on if the tooling was passed on or modified, there may be differences. Certainly, as these things have been rebuilt and refurbished, certain parts will have been replaced with possibly non-OEM versions. (Such as the black connector above which is not on the one ZK bought, nor is it on the ones currently available.) Kudos on starting the search for it ZK (I was thinking if 3d modeling one if we can't find it, haha.).

Last edited:
Do you think that contacting Honeywell would be of any help? Reason I ask is because they are local to my area.

-Ss

A local friend, the guy bringing me the dvds and his wife are huge fans and i saw it at their house one day. A conversation ensued about what it was and i said i would keep my eye out for them.Then while looking through aircraft parts for another project i saw a Bell 205 valve that was close but the outlet nozzle was bent at a 45 degree angle. That was a year ago. Thats when the "janitrol valve" was added to my list of things to look for. The one i bought was the second valve i saw cross ebay.

I love star wars too but have 1 yoda light saber i bought when i first started collecting and a recent efx luke reveal saber. I don't really collect what is already readily availabe to be honest. I love props made with real parts and i really like the unknown props. I just love the hunt i guess. Kinda like the radio used to make the Thunderball remote door opener used at the begining of the movie. That one took around 2.5years of searching everyday to find too or the macro binoculars. Everyone has hero macros so i wanted to build the stunt. There are parts i am looking for that i have been offered the info but i would rather find it myself.

. You are not going to find a valve with the amp plug attached. It was added to it after. It's just clamped down on the silver nipple.

Last edited:
Now that the torches are extinguished and the windmill is still standing ...
I doubt I'll be able to find or afford a "real" Catalyzer, but if anyone does a cast, put me on the interested list.

Funny Firefly story: I had the dvds for quite some time, but could never get my spouse to watch them. She *so* hated Nathan Fillion as Caleb in BTVS that she didn't want to wAtch it. I finally convinced her to watch a couple of Firefly episodes, and the rest, as they say, is history!
We're not only Firefly fans, but Castle fans too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back