3D Printed FIREFLY/SERENITY prop renditions and close approximations

propmaster2000

Sr Member
My first attempt at 3D modeling and printing Firefly/Serenity props was the Pop-out version HOB, "Hands of Blue" Sonic Disruptor weapon from my own design.
hob hand prop.jpg

I then tackled the Alliance "paintball gun" Pistol using PLA filament as well.
(still WIP)
serenity alliance 3.JPG

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
My next endeavor is the CATALYZER from the episode "Out of gas". I know that this valve has been cast and replicated in resin, but I wanted to see
if I could 3D render and print in PLA.
I'm sure the real valve (unmodified) is not cheap and I think there are 2 versions of this valve from 2 different manufactures.
I know that it's not at all an exact render by any stretch of the imagination.
It is more of a close approximation/rendition. But I think it is recognizable.
It will be printed hollow (or with very little infill), in several pieces, sanded, assembled and painted.
JANITROL version 2.jpg

Expanded view: Ready for printing.
Firefly Catalyzer exploded view 2.jpg

24.jpg

26a.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished printing the top half of the main body valve assembly (will add the outer details later) and
looking to do the bottom half (cup portion) next + the lower exhaust tube & intake port.
A little sanding and paint and Voila! a nice representation :)
upper valve assembly.jpg

Last edited:
I managed to find a little time this morning to print the lower portion of the valve assembly.
Since I am printing at a fairly fast rate at a much higher layer height, it will show a bit more of the 3D
printing tell tale signs.
I'm doing this to test the modeling design of all the parts first, to see how they come together.
If all goes well then I will change the setting to give a much cleaner print over all.
lower valve assembly.jpg

upper and lower VA.jpg

IMG_1624sm.jpg

I am currently printing the intake and exhaust tubes at the same time on two different printers (to lessen the over all print time in a day).
One of my ENDER 3's and my CR10S.
The smaller detail part will come next.
If this project comes together as I'd like, maybe I will be able to sell the SERENITY - CATALYZER as an unfinished kit of parts
(to keep the price down), less labor cost on my part.
The real metal valves are a bit expensive for the average collector, if you can find one.

Well, I haven't given up yet. I got 4 of the largest portions of the print completed.
I'm now going to concentrate on the smaller detail pieces for the upper valve body.
I know that there is an AMP style connector that can be purchased, but to save a bit of money, I am going
to attempt to render and print a reasonable facsimile. One that should look OK if you squint a little and from a
distance.
IMG_1625sm.jpg

IMG_1626sm.jpg

As a kit, it will require a bit of sanding, assembly and paint.
(more to come)

Added a couple more detail parts to the CATALYZER.
I 3D printed the AMP connector (to save money) and added the solenoid block.
Will print the solenoid body, the tube that goes on the top and another plug style connector next.
I think it could turn out to be a pretty good kit to assemble and finish (much like building models when I was a kid).
IMG_1627sm.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back