Rocketeer “Veepy” Jetpack 3D printable kit project.

Sorry if this is deemed off-topic, but considering this will be 3D printed, any advice on good prints may be useful?

Cura has so many great settings which are hidden by default. Tree Supports, Support Interface, Ironing, Coasting are all what I consider mandatory for good prints, yet they've been in Cura -- hidden -- for years in some cases. I was glad to see that in the last update they finally moved some of these out of the "Experimental" state.

Tree Supports -- rather than the Standard corrugated/zigzag supports which are almost impossible to remove from prints and incur hours of sanding, Tree Supports generate a super lightweight fractal tree which grows from a large base to the smallest possible branches that will support each part of your print. Fantastic for curved shapes especially figurines/miniatures.

Support Interface -- If you are doing a large flat unsupported area and must use the Standard zig-zag supports, Support Interface will draw a thin scaffold (roof) on top of the supports before doing your print. The support interface is usually so thin that it just peels off and leaves a smooth surface.

Ironing -- The hot nozzle is passed over the highest point of each of your prints one more time to melt/smooth over the tops.

Coasting -- Rather than getting to the end of a "travel" and dribbling a little bit of molten plastic down the side of your print, Coasting turns off the extruder a few mm prior so that the printer will use up the last bit of molten filament in the nozzle to fill in the end of each line.

Last edited:
23D0524C-E811-42D8-A0E8-A1084309384F.jpg

are the 3 holes between the little fins actual holes on the real pack or just paint?

lookin good so far man, the real rivets are the finishing touch.

The real ones (at least the ones I’ve seen) have indents. They are actually half scoops. Like an ice cream scoop. I changed them in the final model after printing this one.
Ignore the hinge:
IMG_2244.jpg

OK, the radiator is locked in final form. For me, it is the crown jewel of the entire model and so I spend hundreds of hours perfecting it. This is supposed to be immensely accurate down to the fins. I hope you all like it.
Wow!
I admire your dedication and determination to get the details right
I am glad to see someone finally tackle this subject for 3D printing going at it with the right approach.
I can see you know what you are doing when it comes to engineering "fit" and component break-down.
Thanks for all the hard work!
It is inspiring!

Wow!
I admire your dedication and determination to get the details right
I am glad to see someone finally tackle this subject for 3D printing going at it with the right approach.
I can see you know what you are doing when it comes to engineering "fit" and component break-down.
Thanks for all the hard work!
It is inspiring!

Thank you! Indeed, the amount of effort in modeling the base structure was maybe 35%. The other 65% has been related to splitting the model and making it properly 3D printable.

I don’t think people generally realize how hard and time consuming it is to get it right.

Thank you! Indeed, the amount of effort in modeling the base structure was maybe 35%. The other 65% has been related to splitting the model and making it properly 3D printable.

I don’t think people generally realize how hard and time consuming it is to get it right.
I kind of like that part of the design challenge (in my case mostly miniature subjects)
It is a bit like designing a puzzle.
I try to make parts "idiot proof" ...i.e.: "keyed' pegs etc. -where the left part can't accidentally be put on the right ...even though these subjects are being made by expert and talented modelers/makers.

Up until now I was always considering getting the resin cast version (if even still available)
But know! I think your handling of this "Holy Grail" prop I am changing my thinking.

The resin MIM pack is very nice.
I think the Veepy model I put together here is better in many ways. It is a true assembly, with real rivets. It’s going to look more real at the end of the day.
It is also just as accurate as the MIM with possible some more unique details around the fine parts. You’ll get more detail from the CAD than the resin model for sure. And I can promise you all that I have modeled this to the highest degree of detail imaginable.

Time will tell what people prefer. The MIM was too expensive imho. Ok

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back