Rocketeer Cirrus X3- The Veepy Build

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

gnolivos

Sr Member
Use this paint for the cones:
BB1DCFFF-DDF4-42FA-B994-B22BD13107E7.jpeg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Astyanax

Look fantastic. !!

Do NOT clear coat it!!! I heard even with the specific clear coat from spaz stix it can ruin the finish

Or test on a scrap piece first!!!!

You sure? Bill Doran used the Alclad Aqua Gloss Lacquer on metal painted parts many times with success, I thought? That's what I was going to try...or am I missing something?

He even suggests a light retouching of metallic paint on top of the clearcoat to give you the best of both worlds.

I know it should be able to show fingerprints like the real thing and all that, but that's one element of realism I'd like to forego. Shiny and new, non-weathered for me!

I guess some testing is in order!

gnolivos

Sr Member
I think it’s best to test. I believe best case is it will dull very little.

looking at MTB pics I feel the current finish is a little too chromey for my liking, comparing to the real thing. So if the clear coat dulls it just a little it would probably look perfect.
I just fear it may dull too much.
TEST!!!

MTB

Look fantastic. !!

Do NOT clear coat it!!! I heard even with the specific clear coat from spaz stix it can ruin the finish

Or test on a scrap piece first!!!!

Fantastic paint job...and, as gnolivos said: ``don`t clear coat it!!`` It`s going to be dull in no time:(
My hopes is that it will dull it a little as it is a bit too shiny for me. I will do a test on a spare part. But the brushed effect came out fantastic!

Use this paint for the cones:
View attachment 1449125
Thanks! that was my next part to figure out!

MTB

The clear coat worked perfectly!!! Gave it just a little dullness. I started to glue the rivets in......man that is time consuming!!
IMG_20210427_183744_662.jpg
PXL_20210427_024136379.jpg
PXL_20210427_024021912.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210428_223857857.jpg
    PXL_20210428_223857857.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:

MTB

This was so nerve-racking gluing the hull in place! I did one side just fine but lining up the other with out dripping or glue running out was scary!

I did scratch the inner part of the tank a bit but I'll touch it up later. Now to pray for no earthquakes tonight!

Once it's fully dry I will clamp the inner part of the hull as you can see a small gap.
PXL_20210504_022411668.jpg

joberg

Master Member
Beautiful thing you've got going there (y) (y) :cool: :cool: I can see that you had to rivet the opening of the fan unit before affixing it to the tubes: good thinking!!

gnolivos

Sr Member
I think you're taking a risk by gluing in the order you have done there. Are you sure you can now fit the tail piece, and the radiator?

It looks gorgeous !

MTB

That paint job just looks amazing...and compared with the real alu from the Delorean you'll have a lot of difficulties knowing which is which(y)(y)
Thanks! I really don't like painting but with the guidance from people here is came out great! (See above posts on how it was done)

MTB

I know it been a long time since I posted anything, work had been just crazy busy for me and I haven't had much time for this.

But the other day I was able to paint the cones.
PXL_20210902_181029624.jpg

PXL_20210902_181207648.jpg
PXL_20210902_181042677.jpg

I'm happy with how they turned out! Hopefully I'll be able to get more done in the upcoming months. Normally winter is a slower time for me so we'll see!

zorg

Master Member
excellent work, i missed some of the updates for some reason .thanks for the progress pics.

oh and a delorean is my dream car also (except mine would have an engine swap) :D

MTB

Well I got the bug and made this.......

PXL_20210925_061150016.jpg
PXL_20210925_061204727.jpg
PXL_20210925_061218995.jpg
PXL_20210925_061244550.jpg
PXL_20210925_061346387.jpg
PXL_20210925_061716163.jpg
PhotoGrid_Plus_1632550788234.jpg

PXL_20210704_231807890.jpg

I always knew I was going to make this from the moment I starting printing. I will be using expanding foam to make the impression of the rocket in the box so it won't move around when I carry it. All the angle iron is cut I just need to drill the holes for the rivets. I'll be picking up the lettering on my next trip to Home Depot too.

My only struggle is the corner guards. I can not find the correct ones. I can't even find any that are close and the right size! From my measurements they have to be at least 2 inches long. The ones I'm finding are only 1 inch. That is way too small! I may have to just make them myself, but I would rather buy them and save time lol.

Well hopefully I'll have more to show, but I will be getting pretty busy starting Monday, so we'll see.

Attachments

• PXL_20210704_231807890.jpg
    PXL_20210704_231807890.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.