Ok the SW bashing is getting out of hand for me

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Werstrooper, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Werstrooper

Werstrooper Well-Known Member

The starwars bashing going on in almost every thread I read is getting a little annoying

you do realise you're on a predominantly starwars themed website right?

It just seems weird to be on a website dedicated to starwars Props, models, costumes, collectables, the films themselves and hell even the RPF banner was Starwars themed untill a few months ago. Yet every SW thread is full of bashing Lucas, the prequels, vader saying no, the bluerays blah blah blah

is it just me?

I'm not even a hardcore fan boy and it's wearing me down a bit. :(

2. Shade88

Shade88 Well-Known Member

I see it as not bashing Star Wars in general, but it's bashing the man that a lot of people feel does not have the franchises' best interest, (Story-wise), at heart.

Now I personally don't mind his modifications to the OT, I just wish he would release the unaltered OT movies, so we could decide which version to watch.

I don't hate the Mr. Lucas, but he baffles me still. He wants to make money, yet he won't release the unaltered OT films, which could get a decent amount of money, whether the films "fits his current vision" of Star Wars, or not. Once again, I don't hate the man, he just confuses me.

3. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

Agreed. Especially after the NYT article came out things started to make a bit more sense.

I would say though, that I think the market for the unaltered OT films is a lot smaller than we probably think it is.

4. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I will confess I feel a little stupid repeating the same old gripes after a decade. It's honestly like I can't help myself. But you're right, and I've noticed it, and I've wondered why I bother. Maybe it's time to make a vow to "let it go, Indiana."

5. Norse Iron Man

Norse Iron Man Active Member

The Internet is a breeding ground for arguments, regardless what website your on. But I whole-heartedly agree with the Star Wars bashing. But this has gone on since the release of Phantom Menace. I actually like the prequels, I do have a few problems, like them resorting to use CGI on Yoda, even though they used the puppet in the first prequel. Anakin was a little whinny *****, but Luke had his moments too, especially in A New Hope. Except for those two things I really don’t have any problems with the Prequels. Yes, I don’t have a problem with midichlorians.

Even though I love the originals, I can tear them apart a lot easier than the new ones. I rather enjoy the re-tinkered originals, not the newest ones mind you. The ones I own are quite cool, I really like the deleted scene in A New Hope with Jaba and Han. Also in Return of the Jedi at the end - when they were celebrating they incorporated some of the new worlds like Naboo and Coruscant. I will admit I didn’t like them popping in the ghost of young Anakin at the end.

I love the Star Wars franchise as a whole. I love the Old Republic games, the Prequels, and the Originals. As for the newest gripe, the only thing I don't care for them is going with the 3D gimmick for the re-release.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  6. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I think the original threads bashing Star Wars prequels were better.

Bootlegger137 likes this.
  7. The Night

The Night Member

my only real issue with the SW franchise at current is that instead of trying to expand the universe or make anything good or new they are just redoing the old movies again and again. its gotten a little rediculous how many times they re-release them. i mean, first it was vhs, fine, then dvd, fine, and blu-ray and now again in 3D? i mean how many different versions of the same 6 movies do we need? i would much rather see that live show they told us they were gonna do. and that was what like 6 years ago now? instead we got that POS clone wars show. i for one would much rather see ep 7-9 produced (as im sure most of us would) rather than go see Jar Jar Binks in 3D. to me its stopped being about SW and its just about money now. however they can repackage it, and remarket it to make a quick buck

8. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Simple, You have to ignore a lot of crap on the net.

9. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

I think it's like a band that has one hit, then 20 years of anonymity later they rerecord their one hit. It's certainly easier than writing another hit--sometimes it's just serendipity, or luck--except for the part where GL can afford to hire a team of the best storytellers in the world to write new movies.

10. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

I think people who bash the prequels are very passionate about Star Wars.

They take it personally.

I am in the middle. I wish the prequels would have been better, but I dont hate them.

I often imagine writing my own unauthorized version of the prequel trilogy, lol.

11. JD

JD Master Member

People need to get over themselves.

You don't like the movies... fine.
    You don't like the prequels... fine.
    You don't like Lucas... fine.
    You don't like CG... fine.
    You think it's about money/greed/etc... fine.

But, for some reason you feel a need to come into every single * thread and repeat the same old gripes over and over... um, to quote Shatner: "Get a life."

Get over yourselves... these are movies. It's fiction. It's someone else's property.

I don't like Justin Bieber, so I sure as hell ain't going to go to a Bieber site and gripe and complain and generally act like an old lady about it... and it's a crying shame and black eye for all of us that there was a thread that was longer than my arm were a bunch of us were crying like little babies over the blu rays.

Frankly, a lot of us need their diapers changed when it comes to Star Wars.

12. Shylaah

Shylaah Sr Member

A lot of bashing on any ONE thing, yes, is always a little annoying.

No, not really, not in the last two years that I have been a member. This may have been true in the past, but the times, they are a changin'.

Again, things have changed/are changing. Mission statement as it were: "Collaborate, create, and collect at the internet's largest community dedicated to props, costumes and models." Not one mention of Star Wars.

The number of hardcore Star Wars fans here may not be diminished any at all, but the percentages have certainly shifted with the influx of many new members who are the hardcore fans of many different franchises. Some of them may not even like Star Wars, so when their voices of descent are added to the voices of the some of the Star Wars fans disgruntled by one thing or another, it just seems like more bashing than usual--But, again percentage wise, it probably isn't any more than in the past.

Shylaah

13. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

Heh... it was only a matter of time. Have you seen some Star Trek fans? I often wonder if they liked anything other than TWOK.

14. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Unfortunately if you bring this subject up too much, then suddenly you are considered a troll. But whining about Star Wars endlessly is fine.

15. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think a good deal of it might be the fact that we're treating Star Wars like serious business, when it really is more like this to the rest of the universe:

Star Wars Ep 1. Kids Featurette - YouTube!

And we get embarrassed and cranky about it.

Heh.

16. jedichase

jedichase Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's about time for somebody to speak up. I understand that the prequels aren't as good as the originals, but I still love star wars and always will. I don't get why people feel that they have to force their negative opinions down everybody's throats constantly. I understand everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I think it gets ridiculous after the fiftieth time. Thank you for posting this Werstrooper.

17. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

I'll go see it. Jar Jar meh, but thats a given. But like the podracing and some other stuff I'll totally go see it. Its not all ****. Personally episode 3 is one of my favorite movies. I cant wait for Titanic 3D either. Whatever about Lucas etc. Star Wars is a huge part of my life so I accept everything good or bad, kinda like being in Canada. lol.

18. Guri

Guri Sr Member

It happens... I don't even notice that much anymore, I guess I kind of just block it out. Back when Lostpedia Forum was buzzing the 'haters' could spit venom. :lol It made them feel better, a bit maybe.

To quote a tagline from over there: A disappointed fan is still a fan.

19. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I bought the Complete Saga on Blu-ray the day it was released. There, I said it.

[​IMG]

20. JD

JD Master Member

It's in style to bash Star Wars. All the 'cool kids' are doing it.

21. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well given that many of us have invested thousands of dollars into making Lucas the bizillionare that he is by buying his products, I can sympathize with many people feeling upset that he won't give them what they want. From a business standpoint he can still make money off of a properly restored original theatrical release, and release whatever director's cut he chooses. The thing that Lucas doesn't even seem to be aware of is that the reason people make a big deal out his choices is because he keeps releasing more of the same. He's really only made a handful of films and could have spent the last 30 years moving on and making other kinds of films. But he just can't let go of Star Wars.

But I do have to agree that Star Wars/ Lucas bashing is like beating a dead horse. I've said it in countless threads, including some here on these very forums, that arguing about our personal gripes over internet forums doesn't change anything. It feels good to vent steam, but it's clear Lucas will do whatever he * well pleases and there isn't a thing any of us can do about it.

I say any of us should create our own story and exceed our predecessors. That's why I fully intend to finish writing my books. I love Star Wars and I always will, but there ARE other kinds of stories out there to be told. Why can't it be told by one of us? It'd be nice to see some creative forces at work, and I agree that the negativity needs to start dying out.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  22. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Nicely done! (y)thumbsup

23. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

To see TPM I worked, went and stood in line for 8 hours, saw the movie, slept for 3 hours and worked. It was worth it to me, I didn't feel let down, or my childhood raped. AOTC except for the bad writing of the Padme/Anakin romance (still better than Twilight), was an action packed fun fest for me, same with ROTS, and ANH came out when I was 11, so I don't get it either, if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to watch it.

24. Dung0beetle

Dung0beetle Well-Known Member

Star Wars IS serious business and I'll Force-Choke anyone who says different!!! I like all of the SW films. Some are better than others, but all are great to me. Lucas didn't ruin anything for me. I like the unedited version and the special editions equally. We could all be building props from "The misadventures of Jar-Jar the Gungan and his pal Ani the apprentice".

25. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I don't bash Star Wars. I love the Star Wars films, all three of them :D

I complain because I care.

26. Ozymandius

Ozymandius Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll stop complaining when Lucas stops holding the OT hostage.

It's not the constant revisionism. It's not the crappy prequels. It's the taking of our film history as a hostage is why people are angry. And like it or not, loudly voicing our opinion is the only weapon we have. So get used to it, cause it ain't going away.

Release the hostages and preserve film history, and I will gladly shut my mouth and let George hack and chop away on those god forsaken Frankenstein special editions all he wants.

27. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

But only until they had to be heavily edited. Digitally.

28. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

That's about where I come out at this point. I didn't like the changes here or there. I didn't like the prequels. BUT I'd be totally cool with those existing if I could get a properly-restored archival OT. After that, it might actually be kinda cool to see what he tweaks each time around, just out of curiosity.

The other thing I gripe about is the lousy QUALITY of the work Lucasfilm has done. Not in a "Dammit, why does Han shoot second!" sense, but more in a "WTF?! Can you people not SEE that your color palette is all over the place?! What is this, amateur hour?" Some of the stuff that's been done in recent releases is simply inexcusably shoddy workmanship. Flipping audio channels, can't get the sabre colors to be uniform, "embrightening" the colors in scenes only to have them abruptly switch back to the older palette at the very end of a scene, etc. I mean, say what you will about whether you like or dislike Obi-Wan's new Michael Jackson scream, but there's no defending the technical flaws in the recent releases.

29. smurf

smurf Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Me too. I even took a vacation day and had a marathon.

30. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I think this sums up my opinion perfectly.

31. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I love all the collective bashing because Lucas earned it deservedly so.

"Fool me once (Phantom Menace), shame on you; fool me twice (Attack Of The Clones), shame on me, fool me three and four times (Revenge Of The Sith, Crystal Skull)...
    IT's Lucas BASHING TIME!!"

:)

32. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

33. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I honestly can't muster the energy to HATE the stuff about Star Wars that I dislike. I did that for a while, but the hate faded and now it's more just "meh" about the whole thing and at worst, shaking my head at the wasted potential and then heading off to do something else.

All that said...

1.) I think it's entirely legitimate to say "Why the hell won't he release the archival versions? It's just stupid not to."

2.) I think it's MORE than entirely legitimate to be * about shoddy workmanship on the various home media releases. Burning cash on changing stuff, while ignoring technical errors is simply inexcusable and even if you lovelovelove all things Star Wars, you're well within your rights to complain -- as a consumer -- about receiving a half-assed product. Towards that end, saying "Why the hell did he make Obi Wan scream like Michael Jackson, stick various cartoon characters into older scenes, and yet he STILL can't get the lightsabres right and the audio is still flipped?! WTF?!!"

But then, I solve all of these problems by simply acting as a savvy consumer and not buying any of these things until I hear reviews from others....at which point I continue to not buy them, based on the problems I hear about. :)

34. The Night

The Night Member

i agree 100% with that i would not mind any of the changes made or future if we could get a copy of the unaltered originals.

i mean, how long until empire has been re done with a CGI'd yoda? they did it to TPM, only a matter of time til its done to them all

35. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Leave brittney alone!!!!

36. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Word on the street is that Lucas had ILM playing with it early in the development cycle for the BDs, but they couldnt get a reasonable looking comp into the original film elements and interaction with Mark. Which is ALL THAT STOPPED THEM.

37. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

Agreed, and the origins of Boba Fett. yesplz.

38. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

It's nice to know they respect the artists so much, like the work of the incomparable Frank Oz. :rolleyes

39. Wolfie138

Wolfie138 Well-Known Member

is it SW bashing, or just people saying it like it is?

40. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Honestly, I think it depends on what you're talking about and how you're talking about it.

41. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

StarWars is poo get over it :)

42. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Yes it's bashing, after the 100th time you do it, and some people here are WAY beyond that.

And saying it like it is, will get you banned here. Just sayin'.

43. Boogeyman13

Boogeyman13 Sr Member

I completely agree with the OP. I poke fun at certain things about the films, but at the end of the day, I'm a fan. I can discuss lightsaber combat forms, or minutia of details about characters and plot. I watch the Clone Wars every week, and I plan on seeing TPM 3D, assuming that the conversion was handled well.

But all the constant whining about the prequels (and particularly TPM) is just silly, and sets a very negative vibe. Maybe it's not your movie, but there's a reason why it was so successful, and why products are still to this day being made related to that movie. Sure, the PT has its problems, but all 6 films do. I remember a time when it was all about the Ewok bashing. Then Jar Jar came along and people moved on to him, and then it was the subsequent prequels. Then it was the Clone Wars series. Then the Blu-rays, and now TPM in 3D. And if the live action series gets made, I'm sure there will be plenty of complaining about that too.

If you really can't just enjoy Star Wars for what it is, then let it go, move along, and let the rest of us have fun in peace.

44. JD

JD Master Member

Get over it. Change your diaper... They're his movies!

Hostages? That's just stupid. You don't like it, don't buy it... But for crying out loud, don't act like he's holding anything hostage. That's ridiculous.

45. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

Is it my fault that I got old enough to find fault in childhood entertainment?

46. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

I don't hate the prequels. I just think they could've been so much greater than what they were.

47. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I traveled 4000 miles to see TPM, before its official opening over here in Germany three months later. I saw it in a small theater with a lot of small kids running around. Worst experience ever. Man, I was depressed. But a day later we saw it at the Ziegfeld theater, completely different experience. On Friday I will see it with my old buddies, the gang that got together to celebrate all movie premieres with a huge event. The last event for ROTS brought about 10.000 people to the movie theater.

Star Wars goes way beyond the movies for me, so yes, I can understand that the bashing can get on one´s nerves. But hey, how many people hate what´s going on in Football, or hate Nazcar or Baseball? But still they go to the stadiums every * weekend, or watch tv for ours, although the players are all wusses or the system is too greedy with the salaries being too high and what not...

If you see a hater thread it might not be a hater, but a lover who is complaining. Like in a very old relationship. Both seemingly hate each other, but stay together for unknown reasons.

Hey, they are only movies. Or are they?

48. nightwind1

nightwind1 Active Member

Really? Predominantly? Dedicated to Star Wars (note the spelling, two words, both capitalized. Why do you hate Star Wars? :lol)

It seems to me that Star Wars is just one small part of a large, vibrant prop community.

Now, if this were TheForce.net, then you might have a point.

49. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

%100 percent man!

Its so cool to hate on Star Wars, or George Lucas etc etc. Its why I made my Greedo shirt :D

[​IMG]

50. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Same here. In general I liked the Prequels. I also see a lot of the flaws. I'm not running around posting everywhere that GL raped my childhood or some of that BS people post. I will even go see them in 3D to see if they are any better or worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.