Ok the SW bashing is getting out of hand for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well given that many of us have invested thousands of dollars into making Lucas the bizillionare that he is by buying his products, I can sympathize with many people feeling upset that he won't give them what they want. From a business standpoint he can still make money off of a properly restored original theatrical release, and release whatever director's cut he chooses. The thing that Lucas doesn't even seem to be aware of is that the reason people make a big deal out his choices is because he keeps releasing more of the same. He's really only made a handful of films and could have spent the last 30 years moving on and making other kinds of films. But he just can't let go of Star Wars.

But I do have to agree that Star Wars/ Lucas bashing is like beating a dead horse. I've said it in countless threads, including some here on these very forums, that arguing about our personal gripes over internet forums doesn't change anything. It feels good to vent steam, but it's clear Lucas will do whatever he damn well pleases and there isn't a thing any of us can do about it.

I say any of us should create our own story and exceed our predecessors. That's why I fully intend to finish writing my books. I love Star Wars and I always will, but there ARE other kinds of stories out there to be told. Why can't it be told by one of us? It'd be nice to see some creative forces at work, and I agree that the negativity needs to start dying out.

Last edited:
To see TPM I worked, went and stood in line for 8 hours, saw the movie, slept for 3 hours and worked. It was worth it to me, I didn't feel let down, or my childhood raped. AOTC except for the bad writing of the Padme/Anakin romance (still better than Twilight), was an action packed fun fest for me, same with ROTS, and ANH came out when I was 11, so I don't get it either, if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to watch it.

Star Wars IS serious business and I'll Force-Choke anyone who says different!!! I like all of the SW films. Some are better than others, but all are great to me. Lucas didn't ruin anything for me. I like the unedited version and the special editions equally. We could all be building props from "The misadventures of Jar-Jar the Gungan and his pal Ani the apprentice".

I don't bash Star Wars. I love the Star Wars films, all three of them :D

I complain because I care.

I'll stop complaining when Lucas stops holding the OT hostage.

It's not the constant revisionism. It's not the crappy prequels. It's the taking of our film history as a hostage is why people are angry. And like it or not, loudly voicing our opinion is the only weapon we have. So get used to it, cause it ain't going away.

Release the hostages and preserve film history, and I will gladly shut my mouth and let George hack and chop away on those god forsaken Frankenstein special editions all he wants.

I'll stop complaining when Lucas stops holding the OT hostage.

It's not the constant revisionism. It's not the crappy prequels. It's the taking of our film history as a hostage is why people are angry. And like it or not, loudly voicing our opinion is the only weapon we have. So get used to it, cause it ain't going away.

Release the hostages and preserve film history, and I will gladly shut my mouth and let George hack and chop away on those god forsaken Frankenstein special editions all he wants.

That's about where I come out at this point. I didn't like the changes here or there. I didn't like the prequels. BUT I'd be totally cool with those existing if I could get a properly-restored archival OT. After that, it might actually be kinda cool to see what he tweaks each time around, just out of curiosity.

The other thing I gripe about is the lousy QUALITY of the work Lucasfilm has done. Not in a "Dammit, why does Han shoot second!" sense, but more in a "WTF?! Can you people not SEE that your color palette is all over the place?! What is this, amateur hour?" Some of the stuff that's been done in recent releases is simply inexcusably shoddy workmanship. Flipping audio channels, can't get the sabre colors to be uniform, "embrightening" the colors in scenes only to have them abruptly switch back to the older palette at the very end of a scene, etc. I mean, say what you will about whether you like or dislike Obi-Wan's new Michael Jackson scream, but there's no defending the technical flaws in the recent releases.

I think people who bash the prequels are very passionate about Star Wars.

They take it personally.

I am in the middle. I wish the prequels would have been better, but I dont hate them.

I often imagine writing my own unauthorized version of the prequel trilogy, lol.

I think this sums up my opinion perfectly.

I love all the collective bashing because Lucas earned it deservedly so.

"Fool me once (Phantom Menace), shame on you; fool me twice (Attack Of The Clones), shame on me, fool me three and four times (Revenge Of The Sith, Crystal Skull)...
IT's Lucas BASHING TIME!!"

:)

I honestly can't muster the energy to HATE the stuff about Star Wars that I dislike. I did that for a while, but the hate faded and now it's more just "meh" about the whole thing and at worst, shaking my head at the wasted potential and then heading off to do something else.

All that said...

1.) I think it's entirely legitimate to say "Why the hell won't he release the archival versions? It's just stupid not to."

2.) I think it's MORE than entirely legitimate to be pissed about shoddy workmanship on the various home media releases. Burning cash on changing stuff, while ignoring technical errors is simply inexcusable and even if you lovelovelove all things Star Wars, you're well within your rights to complain -- as a consumer -- about receiving a half-assed product. Towards that end, saying "Why the hell did he make Obi Wan scream like Michael Jackson, stick various cartoon characters into older scenes, and yet he STILL can't get the lightsabres right and the audio is still flipped?! WTF?!!"

But then, I solve all of these problems by simply acting as a savvy consumer and not buying any of these things until I hear reviews from others....at which point I continue to not buy them, based on the problems I hear about. :)

i agree 100% with that i would not mind any of the changes made or future if we could get a copy of the unaltered originals.

i mean, how long until empire has been re done with a CGI'd yoda? they did it to TPM, only a matter of time til its done to them all

i agree 100% with that i would not mind any of the changes made or future if we could get a copy of the unaltered originals.

i mean, how long until empire has been re done with a CGI'd yoda? they did it to TPM, only a matter of time til its done to them all

Word on the street is that Lucas had ILM playing with it early in the development cycle for the BDs, but they couldnt get a reasonable looking comp into the original film elements and interaction with Mark. Which is ALL THAT STOPPED THEM.

To see TPM I worked, went and stood in line for 8 hours, saw the movie, slept for 3 hours and worked. It was worth it to me, I didn't feel let down, or my childhood raped. AOTC except for the bad writing of the Padme/Anakin romance (still better than Twilight), was an action packed fun fest for me, same with ROTS, and ANH came out when I was 11, so I don't get it either, if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to watch it.
Agreed, and the origins of Boba Fett. yesplz.

Word on the street is that Lucas had ILM playing with it early in the development cycle for the BDs, but they couldnt get a reasonable looking comp into the original film elements and interaction with Mark. Which is ALL THAT STOPPED THEM.

It's nice to know they respect the artists so much, like the work of the incomparable Frank Oz. :rolleyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back