Ok the SW bashing is getting out of hand for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
The entire debate is old, tiring, and pointless. Both sides.

The "Apologists" and "Enablers" can be just as insufferable and as vocal as the "Haters", with an added dose of butt-hurt.
Of course, there's just some of us who are tired of the whining about SW and not enabling or apologizing. As stated previously, the so-called haters need to get over themselves and change their diapers.

I think the main reason for the constant bashing is because Lucas keeps stirring it up every so often...

Star Wars SE only on DVD - we start complaining
It dies down
Star Wars OT (no SE) released on DVD - we rejoic...hey waitaminute, this is just the laser disc transfer, AND we start complaining again
It dies down
Star Wars SSE entire collection on Blu Ray with blinking Ewoks and Noooo! - Yes, we start complaining
It dies down
Star Wars 3D - starting with TPM - yup, here we go again complaining

So really, it's Lucas' fault :D

Of course, there's just some of us who are tired of the whining about SW and not enabling or apologizing. As stated previously, the so-called haters need to get over themselves and change their diapers.

lol, the ones who are "whining" and need to change diapers seem to be the ones posting whole new threads, in tears becuase people don't like that same films they do and have the nerve to comment as such on an open forum.

newsflash : this is a forum on the internet. it's not a "for SW lovers only" forum.
newsflash : not everyone likes the same films. that's life.
newsflash : people have opinions, and will express them on the internet. throwing a hissyfit when that opinion doesn't mesh w/ yours is juvenile.
newsflash : people "bash" SW because the films and GL give them so much ammunition to do so. we have a film/set of films that
- initially were only notable because of ILM. if not from them, SW would have been sub-Battle Beyond The Stars.
- have ludicrous dialogue
- have plot lines designed solely for "what would be really cool" and not logic
- are changed incessantly after the event by the director (a term i use in the loosest possible way)
- have some of the most odious characters in film history
- have a director who's such a male organ that he hacked off the british fan club president so much he disowned the whole thing.
have such horrid dialogue, are changed incessantly by the director because basically he doesn't know what the Hell he wants

any one of those is bash-fodder. having them all related to one series is bash gold.

The starwars bashing going on in almost every thread I read is getting a little annoying

you do realise you're on a predominantly starwars themed website right?

It just seems weird to be on a website dedicated to starwars Props, models, costumes, collectables, the films themselves and hell even the RPF banner was Starwars themed untill a few months ago. Yet every SW thread is full of bashing Lucas, the prequels, vader saying no, the bluerays blah blah blah

is it just me?

I'm not even a hardcore fan boy and it's wearing me down a bit. :(
This is a message board, the predominate nature of a message board is to complain. If we are not happy this is one of the few avenues we can vent. Which I think is healthy, it's far better than acting out something that could cause harm. Plus you feel a little better to find others who feel the same way you do. In reality there is nothing you can do when GL decides to change something else in SW. Yes, that's his right, he owns it. But as things go on, after a while things start looking stranger and stranger. After all SW is in the public eye, we have all seen it. To suddenly say something didn't happen we all saw, the fans are going to react the loudest. Because it's something we all know and love.

I've been around the boards for quite a while, and complained at reckless abandon. I've participated in things that would make the SW bashing here look like glowing admiration at the golden bunny society.

Yes, it does wear you down. The only thing I can suggest is, stay out of it.

The only reason it's a big deal is because Lucas makes it a big deal instead of moving on with his life. Re-release after re-release. The guy hasn't had an original concept since the eighties. Red Tails isn't much different either. As an filmmaker, he's become stale.

Who knows? Maybe once he FINALLY gets back to his avant-garde roots and starts making "personal" films again, we'll see if he has any talent left.

I should really stop posting in threads like these. It ultimately doesn't matter what I think about the guy or his movies. Better to just be apathetic to his changes because he'll make them whether I want him to or not. He has every right to alter his own work, just as I have every right to choose whether or not I want to buy what he's selling.

VOTE WITH YOUR WALLETS! STOP BITCHING FROM BEHIND A COMPUTER MONITOR!

"No it isn't!"

Argument_Clinic.png

The "Apologists" and "Enablers" can be just as insufferable and as vocal as the "Haters", with an added dose of butt-hurt.

That's such utter nonsense.

It's not just Star Wars.

I don't get why people complain endlessly about ANY movie, show or anything.

Fine, the week a movie comes out, ***** about how YOU hate it.

We get it you don't really undserstand Star Trek and only like the one show you grew up with.

But endless declartive statements how something SUCKS (just because YOU don't like it) is completely retarded.

...and that is not what the internet was made for.

But it sure it what the forum has turned into here. Not good.

lol, the ones who are "whining" and need to change diapers seem to be the ones posting whole new threads, in tears becuase people don't like that same films they do and have the nerve to comment as such on an open forum.

newsflash : this is a forum on the internet. it's not a "for SW lovers only" forum.
newsflash : not everyone likes the same films. that's life.
newsflash : people have opinions, and will express them on the internet. throwing a hissyfit when that opinion doesn't mesh w/ yours is juvenile.
newsflash : people "bash" SW because the films and GL give them so much ammunition to do so. we have a film/set of films that
- initially were only notable because of ILM. if not from them, SW would have been sub-Battle Beyond The Stars.
- have ludicrous dialogue
- have plot lines designed solely for "what would be really cool" and not logic
- are changed incessantly after the event by the director (a term i use in the loosest possible way)
- have some of the most odious characters in film history
- have a director who's such a male organ that he hacked off the british fan club president so much he disowned the whole thing.
have such horrid dialogue, are changed incessantly by the director because basically he doesn't know what the Hell he wants

any one of those is bash-fodder. having them all related to one series is bash gold.
...so somehow this justifies the same people bashing Star Wars / Lucas over and over and over? This justifies the continual interruptions, the constant bickering and the simple lack of class of most bashers? (ie, refering to Lucas a 'male organ,' making a vid refering to killing Lucas with a shovel. Classy).

I'm not whining or soiling my diapers, I'm just tired of the same folks saying the same thing repeatedly... we get it; you don't like it - we're reminded of this constantly, just as a baby needs its diaper changed repeatedly and they let us know by crying about it. Simple threads are interruped time and time again - not just for discussions sake but just for the same old folks to whine about Star Wars... again and again.

I'm not defending Star Wars or Lucas. I'm saying there is a time a place for the gripes and rational opining about it. Does every single thread about SW/GL need to devolve into it 'sucking?' I understand some folks don't like, I'm comfortable with that... it's sad that the reverse isn't true.

I'm just tired of people acting like trolls [...]. I agree with the original poster as stated in the title of this thread: the bashing is getting out of hand (see: killing Lucas with a shovel and refering to GL as a 'male organ'). The amount of people wasting their time and breath (like... yup, you) posting about their dislike of it is just sickening.

In fact, if you are driven to the point were you simply must refer to a movie director whose made squillions of dollars and affected many lives as a 'male organ,' well I'd ask your Mommy to check your diaper as well. Because simply put, you're not acting like an adult.

Your logic is flawed... in fact, it's contradictary, insulting and just silly. Your diaper stinks - so change it.

Last edited by a moderator:
May I interest you in a slice of irony, sir? ;)

That is also just a lame ass response to a real argument.

You're better than that.

So once again people are arguing that they want to behave in a very negative manor. I feel this reflects badly on the site as a whole.

But it's not my play ground.

I'll try to stay out of ALL Star Wars threads from here on out, because 90% of them do devolve into bashing.

Y'all have fun.

That's such utter nonsense.

It's not just Star Wars.

I don't get why people complain endlessly about ANY movie, show or anything.

Fine, the week a movie comes out, ***** about how YOU hate it.

We get it you don't really undserstand Star Trek and only like the one show you grew up with.

But endless declartive statements how something SUCKS (just because YOU don't like it) is completely retarded.

...and that is not what the internet was made for.

But it sure it what the forum has turned into here. Not good.

You do realize that some people are still passionate about Star Wars even though they're unhappy with its current state, right? That's the impetus of most of this. And I bet it would go away save for something new about "Star Wars" always enters the ether and the discourse erupts all over again.

I preferred the "dark days" of Star Wars fandom (1985-1994) when it was almost underground. Fandom at its purest. Also, it helped that the franchise wasn't jumping some new shark seemingly every week either. lol

But, yeah, the internet, Special Editions, prequels, Clone Wars, and things like black fast food hamburger buns have changed everything. The fanbase has become quite fractured, which is an understatement.

Yes, it's old, tiring and futile... this entire debate is. But I don't fault people on either side for wanting to talk about it and vent their respective spleens. And, let's face, neither side has anything new to add to the discussion anyway. There is no onus here. Opinions are opinions, and everyone is entitled to share them whether we like it or not.

(BTW, I'd advise stop using the term "retarded" so frivolously lest you sound exactly like the Internet mud-slingers you so despise).

I preferred the "dark days" of Star Wars fandom (1985-1994) when it was almost underground. Fandom at its purest. Also, it helped that the franchise wasn't jumping some new shark seemingly every week either. lol
Cripes. Now you sound like the metalhead/punker elite who hates their favorite band because they got exposure and may've gotten popular.

Liking something during its "dark days'/underground period does not make you a better fan.

Elitist fans are the worst of the bunch... and the first to turn on ya.

:facepalm

I said I preferred those days personally and that fandom seemed more pure to me then. I said nothing about it making me a "better fan". Mileage varies.

Maybe part of the problem is that some people may be a tad too sensitive. "Cripes" indeed.

I see A LOT of people in this thread saying "you dont like it - fine - you dont need to keep saying it" that I see do THE SAME THING about other popular movies ALL THE TIME.

I said I preferred those days personally and that fandom seemed more pure to me then. I said nothing about it making me a "better fan". Mileage varies.

Maybe part of the problem is that some people may be a tad too sensitive. "Cripes" indeed.
Yeah, you're absolutely right... you never said you were a better fan.

Even better, I never stated you said that... too sensitive, in deed.

...so somehow this justifies the same people bashing Star Wars / Lucas over and over and over? This justifies the continual interruptions, the constant bickering and the simple lack of class of most bashers? (ie, refering to Lucas a 'male organ,' making a vid refering to killing Lucas with a shovel. Classy).

I'm not whining or soiling my diapers, I'm just tired of the same folks saying the same thing repeatedly... we get it; you don't like it - we're reminded of this constantly, just as a baby needs its diaper changed repeatedly and they let us know by crying about it. Simple threads are interruped time and time again - not just for discussions sake but just for the same old folks to whine about Star Wars... again and again.

I'm not defending Star Wars or Lucas. I'm saying there is a time a place for the gripes and rational opining about it. Does every single thread about SW/GL need to devolve into it 'sucking?' I understand some folks don't like, I'm comfortable with that... it's sad that the reverse isn't true.

I'm just tired of people acting like trolls (just like.... wait for it... you!). I agree with the original poster as stated in the title of this thread: the bashing is getting out of hand (see: killing Lucas with a shovel and refering to GL as a 'male organ'). The amount of people wasting their time and breath (like... yup, you) posting about their dislike of it is just sickening.

In fact, if you are driven to the point were you simply must refer to a movie director whose made squillions of dollars and affected many lives as a 'male organ,' well I'd ask your Mommy to check your diaper as well. Because simply put, you're not acting like an adult.

Your logic is flawed... in fact, it's contradictary, insulting and just silly. Your diaper stinks - so change it.

I tip my hat to you good sir

Thats pretty much sums it up for me too.

If you feel the urge to go into a constructive thead and carry on in a negative way then what are you really contributing? apart from your unwarrented and uneeded attempt at 10 year old humour.

think about what it is you are saying, if you are in a bad mood then dont vent in peoples thread. save it for facebook, or 4chan or...i really dont care I just dont need to see it when I come here.

Just so you know it doesnt offend me, doesnt even really **** me off it just makes me think you're a spoiled child that isnt happy their dad repainted their bike and gave it to their younger brother.

That is also just a lame ass response to a real argument.

No, it's actually more just not taking your point seriously. I thought that much was obvious? Besides, when I write anything longer than some pithy one or two-line post, you say you ignore it because you don't like Russian literature. :)

You're better than that.

So once again people are arguing that they want to behave in a very negative manor. I feel this reflects badly on the site as a whole.

Well, my manor is always positive. Just ask my butler. ;)

But it's not my play ground.

I'll try to stay out of ALL Star Wars threads from here on out, because 90% of them do devolve into bashing.

Y'all have fun.

1.) Complaining about stuff on teh intarwebz doesn't mean this place is negative. People speak negatively about stuff, sure, but they also speak positively about stuff. They're fans. Fans kvetch about stuff. They always do. Whether it's improperly proportioned nacelles, who'd win in a fight -- Sheridan or Sisko, whether Deckard was a replicant, or whether the PT represents the functional equivalent of the Second Ecumenical Council in Star Wars fandom, people will debate, complain, and praise alike. Folks here will also continue to joke around, talk about props and costumes, and otherwise shoot the breeze. I've been coming here off and on since 1999 (my join date never carried overand, to me, the place retains much of the same upbeat atmosphere it seemed to have when I first showed up.

2.) Complaining about complaining about stuff on teh intarwebz is...well...kinda baffling to me. Yet, without fail, like a moth to a flame, in ANY thread where folks speak ill of Star Wars or George Lucas, there you are to either tell them to shut up already (usually with a thinly or not-at-all veiled insult) or defend Lucas himself.

Why?

I honestly don't get it. Is it loyalty to the brand or the man? A "Nobody ratf***s our colors" attitude or something? Or is it just that you want to dish it back to them because you feel personally maligned by their posts?

I mean, surely you must see that your complaining is no different from their complaining, right? Or at least that it's largely a waste of time and energy. I guess you do, if you're saying you're done with the Star Wars threads and such.

I'm just surprised it took you until this point to finally recognize that in any thread you don't like, you can just click that little box with the "X" in it up in the corner, or click your "back" button on your browser and simply skip out. Granted, the same applies to anyone who hops into an otherwise love-fest about the prequels or the SEs or whatever and craps all over them, but even then, folks can simply ignore that guy. I mean, unless they feel like engaging in a dialogue for funsies, like I'm doing here.

For what it's worth, I can easily recall at least one VERY fun Star Wars thread that popped up a while back when we basically posted the entire script, line by line, of ANH in a dialogue back and forth between members. That thread was a riot and full of goodwill about both the folks in it and Star Wars itself.

Anyway, as for why these threads seem to keep popping up, I'd venture it's because every major release from the Star Wars franchise that seems to pop up only reminds folks of the things that they dislike about the current direction. If things didn't keep changing with the OTSEs, if the PT wasn't being released in 3D in theaters, if Clone Wars wasn't running on TV, etc., then I'd venture that most people would simply shuffle off to their little corner of Star Wars fandom and focus on that or on some other franchise entirely. Each subsequent release or re-release picks the scab off and starts the bleeding again.

And that's kind of become the nature of the franchise now, at least with regards to the films. Each release raises the question of "What'd he change THIS time?" and "Did they finally fix XYZ problem?" and "Will he EVER release some archival version of the originals?" It's never "Cool! Can't wait to get it!" across the board because the fans are never satisfied completely, and that's because a goodly portion of them won't be satisfied unless and until they get the originals "back" the way they want them. So, each release only serves to remind them that...that's not happening....and so they complain.

But none of that means either that (A) the people who complain don't still love Star Wars in some form, or that (B) this place is wholly negative.

But none of that means either that (A) the people who complain don't still love Star Wars in some form, or that (B) this place is wholly negative.

:thumbsup i like that

I have the right to complain and join bashing threads if i choose, and just because i SOMETIMES choose to air my grievance relating to a subject matter (in this instance SW) does'nt mean i am not a fan of that particular subject.
Ive spent enough of my hard earned cash over the years helping to line the pocket of Mr Lucas, so i think that pretty much gives me the right to say what i like wether that be positive or negative when i like.

There will be SW bashing threads on this site for many more years to come that i can qaurantee, if the OT finds SW bashing threads offensive then i'm afraid he needs to get over it pretty quick, as mentioned they will always continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back