Sounds just as dumb as anything we got. It must be true!

I don't bemoan the "lost opportunity" of this or Treverow's script. Or the alternate cut of Rogue One. Or the Lord and Miller cut of Solo. Some ideas are just bad. They just are. Doing a Han Solo origin story was uninspired and unnecessary. Just like Rogue One. No one needed to know HOW the plans for the first Death Star were stolen. That idea was a catalyst to jumpstart the story. No further explanation necessary. It was in media res, a techinque for getting you immediately invested in the story about to unfold, and didn't require any further exploration.

I read the synopsis for Treverow's Ep. 9 and it sounded just as bad as what JJ delivered. I don't care that George's original vision of Star Wars had Anakin Starkiller and Darth Vader as two separate characters or that Luke and Leia were never siblings. None of those ideas made it to the final cut of the movie and are in essence irrelevant other than fan musings. Sure some of those ideas may have been sloppily handled but it doesn't change the fact that the movie exists in it's current state.

I don't care about the intention or potential of a story so much as what ended up on screen. I intended my novel to be a best seller but that intention is totally irrelevant if it never came to fruition so I learned to do better in the future rather than whine about how my dream never came true. So waxing on what could have been is living in the past. Things could have been better if handled differently, but lost potential doesn't change the result of the end product. Which is why I'm so against the S.E. and the endless fan edits. If you must continue the story, make sure that it's worthy of continuation right from the blank page rather than overcorrect the past.

When you write something, or direct something, or cast a specific person in a role, you're making a creative choice. Art is a series of specific creative choices and those choices affect the finished work for better or worse.

I remember someone on here saying that the Emperor using Luke's hand (which they retrieved from Cloud City, not space...) to make a clone in the Zahn Trilogy was stupid. I guess that looks like brilliant writing now huh?

Perhaps one of those chronicals the story of how a lightsaber with a decaying hand was floating through space...

We need that as an emoji!!!! :lol:
luke button.jpeg

I remember someone on here saying that the Emperor using Luke's hand (which they retrieved from Cloud City, not space...) to make a clone in the Zahn Trilogy was stupid. I guess that looks like brilliant writing now huh?
No. I never understood why something really bad would make something better that was just plain bad. As I say just because I break my hand I won't start loving my haemorrhoid.

Warning to those pre ordering. Last year when wave 1 came out the hasbro site crashed, and we found them immediately on Amazon.

I ordered all mine off Amazon. They came in smaller boxes then the actual card back.. the card backs were bent and destroyed

When I contacted Amazon for replacements they said there was no guarantee I’d get another one because they were pre orders..

My cara dune just isn’t bent but the Amazon tape they use to seal the box.. was 3/4 across the back of the card..

Every single one destroyed

I ordered wave 2 from big bad toy store and selected their collectors shipping.. curious how well they are boxed up..

Just wanted to share my Amazon experience with other collectors

Warning to those pre ordering. Last year when wave 1 came out the hasbro site crashed, and we found them immediately on Amazon.

I ordered all mine off Amazon. They came in smaller boxes then the actual card back.. the card backs were bent and destroyed

When I contacted Amazon for replacements they said there was no guarantee I’d get another one because they were pre orders..

My cara dune just isn’t bent but the Amazon tape they use to seal the box.. was 3/4 across the back of the card..

I ordered wave 2 from big bad toy store and selected their collectors shipping.. curious how well they are boxed up..

Yeah, that's what I don't get about these - it's like they used the cheapest cardboard available - every time I see them in stores or at a friends, the cards are always bent or bowed...

That's odd, because, in my experience, Amazon always puts things in a far larger box than the actual product. I've seen them send something the size of a deck of cards in a box large enough for a large hardback book. It's a pity that they went the other route with your order.

I have the same trouble when ordering materials for my costumes. I get a box that is too large for the item I'm ordering and 9 times out of 10 the box is smashed or open. Thankfully my product is fine, but still. Yesterday I got some fabric in for a costume and I got a bonus used paper plate with my order, courtesy of the streets of New York and an opened package delivery. Yay street garbage! :)

As for Big Bad Toy Store I ordered some collector grade figures from there and they were packed very well and arrived without issue. Those few extra bucks were worth the price of knowing I would get what I ordered in good shape. As for the availablity of the Retro collection Mandalorian figures there is a collectible/ toy store in a neighborhood a few blocks from me. Not something I would ever find living in my area of Connecticut and the major retailers are a wasteland for collectors. But now being in New York there are far more options by comparison. This shop had most of the first wave of figures. No Cara Dune figures but just about everyone else, as well as a Boba Fett Black Series helmet and a handful of the 6 inch black series figures.

So if anyone is in need of any of those just let me know and I can take a walk and pick them up for anyone!

I gather the stuff with Rey's parentage also shifted around a bunch during the filming of TROS. At one point, she's Obi-Wan's granddaughter, then she's Palpatine's granddaughter, and that was happening during filming apparently. I mean, maybe that's just rumor, but if it's true...*****, no wonder the whole thing feels so wacky.
Emotionally, it works. It hits beats. But the beats are unearned, they're derived from nostalgia rather than story, and the moment you start to actually think about them, the whole potemkin village comes crashing down.

It all comes from Daisy's claim. She claims that they toyed with an Obi-Wan connection for the first movie. Then in TLJ she was a nobody. Then TROS, she said was pitched to her by JJ telling her she's a Palpatine. But then she claims that by the filming they went back on that. It's all very contradictory. (One hundreds of behind the scenes contradictions that have come out from development of ST)

I suspect that Rey being Palpatine was their intention from beginning. Now obviously that doesn't necessarily mean they were going to stick to it. Things change. But it just fits in so well with the Yin Yang aspect of Rey and Ben's relationship. Rey comes from the dark side, but is aligned with the light. Ben comes from the light, aligned with the dark. And it fits their introductions. In TFA Ben is seen walking from the light into the dark. Rey is seen descending from a Star Destroyer, walking from the darkness into the light. Yes could be all retroactive. But dang it fits.

And then there's a couple of other comments. Jet Lucas states he thought their were similarities between TFA and Anastasia.(he claimed to have known what the whole story was going to be) JJ mentions in the TFA commentary that Star Wars being fantasy there certain elements you would expect to see. Such as a castle (Maz's castle) a prince (Kylo is made to look like a dark knight/prince) and a princess.(EDIT: Fairy tale, not fantasy)

Plus the way Rey is supposedly revealed to be nobody. Through Kylo. We have no reason to believe Kylo. So it's the perfect "out." And funnily enough, TLJ sets up Rey coming from a powerful Force lineage. When Luke mentions that Rey goes straight for the dark, and that he's only seen raw strength like this once before, in his nephew.

Bottom line. In my opinion it was the "plan." But that doesn't mean they weren't open to other avenues.

Last edited:
Those figures are awesome, but I was kinda hoping Ahsoka would have two slide-out lightsabers like the vintage Obi-Wan or Vader figures.
I suspect that Rey being Palpatine was their intention from beginning.
I watched TFA again recently, and Rey's fight at the end is VERY reminiscent of Palpatine's fights in Episode 3. She uses some of his moves, and even her facial expressions look like Palpy. So yeah, I'd say they planned her lineage early on.

And then there's a couple of other comments. Jet Lucas states he thought their were similarities between TFA and Anastasia.(he claimed to have known what the whole story was going to be) JJ mentions in the TFA commentary that Star Wars being fantasy there certain elements you would expect to see. Such as a castle (Maz's castle) a prince (Kylo is made to look like a dark knight/prince) and a princess.
This, to me, says a lot about just how surface level JJ's thinking is.

This, to me, says a lot about just how surface level JJ's thinking is.
I had to edit my original post. But he's says fairy tale not fantasy. My bad.

A prince, princess, a castle, it is a fairy tale trope. And Star Wars is a modern fair tale, with side of operatic tragedy.

JJ concepts are at some points surface level, but other places, especially with TROS deeper. (though that may be from Terrio) The one concept that particularly love, is the relationship between Rey and Ben. As I've mentioned before they have this Yin Yang relationship. They are like living embodiments of the Force. When we look at the symbolism that represents the Force, we see the symbol for the dark and light sides, contain the other within each other. They are intertwined. And we find in TROS, like the Force itself, they are a dyad. Two that are one.

This concept of two that are one is inversion to a concept of duality that's found throughout Star Wars, particularly in TPM. And I love that at the end of TROS, they literally become two that are one. It's interesting thematic twist/inversion to the beginning of the saga.

When there are massive amounts of contradictory accounts of the same events/things (that often change to fit the needs of the moment) it means that many of them simply can't be true, especially if the accounts are coming from the same person or people. Liking films just because you enjoy them is subjective, no one can argue against that as it's opinion. Justifying a film (or anything really )based on ever changing stories and/or contradictions is a tough sell.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back