He's certainly entitled to feel however he likes but I just think it's silly to brag about a terrible scene in a terrible movie. I did a great job at certain aspects of my last career but I didn't feel the need to announce it to the world. It's more endemic of a culture that seeks constant praise than it is about a stupid cup, but the fact that an insignificant movie moment suddenly needs recognition is hilarious to me.

Last edited:
He's certainly entitled to feel however he likes but I just think it's silly to brag about a terrible scene in a terrible movie. I did a great job at certain aspects of my last career but I didn't feel the need to announce it to the world. It's more endemic of a culture that seeks constant praise than it is about a stupid cup, but the fact that an insignificant movie moment suddenly needs recognition is hilarious to me.

I'd said it makes sense. Sort of. He's a jobbing artist and his CV now includes a prominent piece in a scene from major movie. Except... it's such an insignificant and/or reviled moment, nobody else is going to singing his praises, so he needs to sing them for himself.

I don't blame him. Putting aside all the reasons why we dislike the scene, it's a nice piece of work that he did. If that was me, I'd be making everyone I know re-watch that scene and pause on the clearest shots to point out my work. I reckon plenty of people here would do the same - excluding yourself, obviously. I'm happy to admit that I'm not too kool for skool.

He's now officially worked on a StarWars film, which is more than I'll ever be able to say. I'm not going to criticise him for being proud of that.

A place I used to lecture had a few 'big' names come through over the years, & they'd always be the names advertised. Sometimes it'd be me, other times, my boss. The lectures were what people came for, but we had one guy that had been there for decades before I got there & was there many years after I left, until his death in his 90's.

He would stand at the door, greet people, & hand them a program. He would shake hands, joke with anyone's kids who came, offering them a sticker or piece of candy if the parents said it was ok, offer to hang ladies coats etc. The guy was basically a fixture there.

One day I heard he was going to be out for an extended period of time, so since I didn't have anything going on, I volunteered to take his place. The scheduling lady asked if I was sure & I chuckled & said I thought I could handle it.

Turns out, this guy was not only at EVERY event, doing his greeting thing, he'd stay after for hours, cleaning up. He cleaned the 8 bathrooms in the facilities before & after the events, he swept the sidewalks & walked the parking lot picking up cigarette butts & trash before every event. He made sure there was water on the platform for each of the speakers, & when they arrived, he'd offer to get them anything they needed, like food, note pads, pens, etc.

I kinda stood there a minute, thinking of the time & logistics it'd take me to accomplish all that, when she laughed & says that she'll get some help & delegate the various jobs.

Here's the kicker...I said that when he retired or passed away they'd have to pay a lot of money to fill that job. She looked at me & said, "Oh no... He doesn't WORK here. He's not in the payroll at ALL. He volunteers to do all that. The candy & stickers? He brings those. When he gets stuff for the speakers? Out of his pocket. Doesn't even use our supplies when he cleans stuff. Brings it all from home."

I just stood there floored & could only ask why.

She said, "I asked him the same thing years ago. He just said he loves the people & the place, he believes in what we do, & simply wants to do something to help.".

From that day on, I've never been able to look at ANY job done well, as unimportant or insignificant. I ain't saying that on a soap box or directing that at ANYONE discussing this guy, I swear. I'm just sharing my experience & reasoning for my comments.

Last edited:
I swear there was a practical green milk bottle that had a different neck/profile that was CG’d over into the one we see on screen. I remember a thread about people trying to source or reproduce it. The original bottle appears in the visual dictionary
I was obsessed with this milk bottle, trent actually designed and 3D printed a small run

It wasn’t until the bluray that we realized the bottle was skipping.. that’s when we put two and two together and realized it was cgi’ed

With further looking, when Luke puts his back pack down before he swings across in that big fishing spear you can see the practical bottle

503288CD-6F09-46CA-90E3-B44AF4720FDD.jpeg
B7FFA7CE-EC80-4187-B21B-FBF3AC70D46E.jpeg

2CA0D1F2-7A88-45E1-BDC4-E545C116ED70.jpeg

A place I used to lecture had a few 'big' names come through over the years, & they'd always be the names advertised. Sometimes it'd be me, other times, my boss. The lectures were what people came for, but we had one guy that had been there for decades before I got there & was there many years after I left, until his death in his 90's.

He would stand at the door, greet people, & hand them a program. He would shake hands, joke with anyone's kids who came, offering them a sticker or piece of candy if the parents said it was ok, offer to hang ladies coats etc. The guy was basically a fixture there.

One day I heard he was going to be out for an extended period of time, so since I didn't have anything going on, I volunteered to take his place. The scheduling lady asked if I was sure & I chuckled & said I thought I could handle it.

Turns out, this guy was not only at EVERY event, doing his greeting thing, he'd stay after for hours, cleaning up. He cleaned the 8 bathrooms in the facilities before & after the events, he swept the sidewalks & walked the parking lot picking up cigarette butts & trash before every event. He made sure there was water on the platform for each of the speakers, & when they arrived, he'd offer to get them anything they needed, like food, note pads, pens, etc.

I kinda stood there a minute, thinking of the time & logistics it'd take me to accomplish all that, when she laughed & says that she'll get some help & delegate the various jobs.

Here's the kicker...I said that when he retired or passed away they'd have to pay a lot of money to fill that job. She looked at me & said, "Oh no... He doesn't WORK here. He's not in the payroll at ALL. He volunteers to do all that. The candy & stickers? He brings those. When he gets stuff for the speakers? Out of his pocket. Doesn't even use our supplies when he cleans stuff. Brings it all from home."

She said, "I asked him the same thing years ago. He just said he loves the people & the place, he believes in what we do, & simply wants to do something to help.".

From that day on, I've never been able to look at ANY job done well, as unimportant or insignificant. I ain't saying that on a soap box or directing that at ANYONE discussing this guy, I swear. I'm just sharing my experience & reasoning for my comments.
You knew a real life Leo, from "Journey To The East", by Hermann Hesse.

That's a lovely story and a good life lesson in there. The glaring difference is that the guy you're talking about doesn't strike me as the type to post about any of his volunteering on Twitter, but did what he loved with a quiet sense of humility. My criticism has more to do with social media platforms that breed a sense of self importance, as if the contribution to film wasn't enough in and if itself but it had to be announced to the world lest his very existence be forgotten. Not every moment of our lives has to be immortalized by the Internet and honestly that's part of the reason the world is in the mess that it's in because people can't let go of the past. You can certainly take pride in your work, but not everything has to be praised by the world. Besides volunteering is a different animal than a paid job.

Last edited:
That's a lovely story and a good life lesson in there. The glaring difference is that the guy you're talking about doesn't strike me as the type to post about any of his volunteering on Twitter, but did what he loved with a quiet sense of humility. My criticism has more to do with social media platforms that breed a sense of self importance, as if the contribution to film wasn't enough in and if itself but it had to be announced to the world lest his very existence be forgotten. Not every moment of our lives has to be immortalized by the Internet and honestly that's part of the reason the world is in the mess that it's in because people can't let go of the past. You can certainly take pride in your work, but not everything has to be praised by the world. Besides volunteering is a different animal than a paid job.
Yeah... I get that. I'm not a 'Participation Trophy' kind of guy, & I can see where it would seem that this guy wants to get his.

Im not going to hold it against him because a lot of these guys are independent contractors and it’s genuinely part of their livelihood to self promote in order to get the next job. Do I think anyone and everyone should be able to constantly update us on Twitter? No, but I do get where he’s coming from with the state of the industry being what it is.

I find it amusing that if this same bloke had tweeted that he was "Chief Saber Grip Technician" and, for a laugh, he purposely glued/screwed/riveted each individual grip with slightly different placements, different size screws/rivets on a Graflex, people would pore over the references for hours to work it all out, rather than the reaction he got over a bottle in a film...

I find it amusing that if this same bloke had tweeted that he was "Chief Saber Grip Technician" and, for a laugh, he purposely glued/screwed/riveted each individual grip with slightly different placements, different size screws/rivets on a Graflex, people would pore over the references for hours to work it all out, rather than the reaction he got over a bottle in a film...
The difference between those two things is enormous.

It makes sense that fans would over analyze the minute details of the most iconic prop in the entire series, not to mention arguably the most recognizable and beloved props in all of film history. I'd say having a hand in something like that would be worth bragging about, if you were the type that felt inclined to brag at all, much more so than a digitally rendered prop in a throw away moment from a scene most fans disliked.

Now could it very well have been a joke or a means of self promotion, sure. I just don't find the humor in it. At least if it were self promotion, I could wrap my head around that.

Then again this isn't the end of the world or anything either. It's just Twitter. I loathe that platform more than anything else in this instance.

Last edited:
I don’t think it was a joke, exactly (though saying it was his “finest” asset was a sort of joking exaggeration, to make the larger point he was making. It didn’t read like bragging either, in the context of the thread.) He later wrote that the bottle was the simplest asset he made in his career. The point, for anyone who read his thread, was that a lot of cgi is either invisible to audiences, or is something so mundane-seeming as a bottle being filled with milk that no one will notice it or be impressed by it, like they would with the more “traditional” uses of cgi in environments, characters, explosions, etc.

But I suppose with this film it’s unsurprising that people will freak out about anyone talking about it, for whatever reason. Personally, I think it’s fascinating to hear about how films are made, even if I didn’t even enjoy the film itself.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back