Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

BTTUK

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The difference between those two things is enormous.

It makes sense that fans would over analyze the minute details of the most iconic prop in the entire series, not to mention arguably the most recognizable and beloved props in all of film history. I'd say having a hand in something like that would be worth bragging about, if you were the type that felt inclined to brag at all, much more so than a digitally rendered prop in a throw away moment from a scene most fans disliked.

Now could it very well have been a joke or a means of self promotion, sure. I just don't find the humor in it. At least if it were self promotion, I could wrap my head around that.

Then again this isn't the end of the world or anything either. It's just Twitter. I loathe that platform more than anything else in this instance.
Okay

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Somerset

My cousin (who must have only been 22 at the time) worked as one of the many compositors on TLJ, contracting for one of the SFX houses. His 'big scene' that he worked on was... the one where Leia uses the Force to make her way back inside the ship (aka Leia Poppins). Now no matter how derided that scene might be, it's probably still a great feeling to have worked on a major motion picture like that, and would have been good for his 'portfolio' or 'resume' (whatever they call it in that industry).

That said, he's never tweeted about it (and only told me after I pried it out of him at a Christmas party).

Psab keel

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
How does that work? I was under the impression that FX and digital artists that work on these movies were employed wholly in house at ILM? I know there are different departments within ILM that handle different effects depending on the needs of the work, but I wasn't aware some of these things get contracted out. I know other studios might use multiple FX houses depending on their budget and resources, but I thought Lucasfilm was self contained and that was the reason why George was able to maintain his autonomy outside the Hollywood system by being totally self sufficient. I'm genuinely asking because I have no idea how that works.

and-i-learned-something-today.jpg

Lightning

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
How does that work? I was under the impression that FX and digital artists that work on these movies were employed wholly in house at ILM? I know there are different departments within ILM that handle different effects depending on the needs of the work, but I wasn't aware some of these things get contracted out. I know other studios might use multiple FX houses depending on their budget and resources, but I thought Lucasfilm was self contained and that was the reason why George was able to maintain his autonomy outside the Hollywood system by being totally self sufficient. I'm genuinely asking because I have no idea how that works.

I have absolutely no knowlege on the subject but, based on that story, it sounds like Lucasfilm, without George, isn't as militant about in-house work and even they max out their capacity sometimes.

Psab keel

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know the early rotoscoping for the lightsabers in the first Star Wars was handled by an artist outside ILM but that was also at the beginning, and I thought after that point the effects were handled internally. It's just curiosity on my part because I'm not in the industry.

Riceball

Master Member

View attachment 1496017
Now a days, big effects heavy movies are just too big for one effects house to do all the work, even ILM. Part of the reason is that big effects houses like ILMs will have multiple projects on their plate and probably don't clear their calendars to work on just one film, not even if it's Star Wars.

batguy

Sr Member
(I was typing this and Riceball beat me to it)

The SFX industry has changed a lot since the 1970s/80s, or even since the early 2000s.

Today the big tentpole movies farm out the work to many SFX houses. The studios got into the habit as they were doing more CGI shots and rushing to meet brutal release dates. Nowadays some of the SFX houses have specialties. This place removes green screen from shots for compositing. That place does cosmetic touch-ups on actors. Etc. Some of it is done overseas.

Psab keel

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I hadn't really considered the plethora of FX driven movies being the mainstream now being such a major factor, but it makes perfect sense. Thank you both for the insight.

5146120.jpg

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
Finally someone with some clout is saying the same thing the fans have been saying! That's what really ticks me off any time you complain about Rey as a character online and people say "Oh yuck a girl in Star Wars, I can't watch it!" or you're misogynistic, etc. Having a female character is no problem for most SW fans. We love Leia and there's a reason Mara Jade and Jaina Solo are two of the most popular EU characters. I'd argue Mara might be THE most favorite EU character. It's not because we hate women, we hate poorly conceived stories!

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know the early rotoscoping for the lightsabers in the first Star Wars was handled by an artist outside ILM but that was also at the beginning, and I thought after that point the effects were handled internally. It's just curiosity on my part because I'm not in the industry.
That is interesting, I read that ILM did do the rotoscoping. And ILM had to build a computer to do it, the computer was so large they had to rent a separate garage to work out of, because of the size of this machine

Wonder if my story is bullsh1t

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The rotoscoping for the lightsabers in the OT were done by hand painting over each frame by each frame. I'm not sure about the other rotoscoping fx or how they were done.
Where can I learn more about this? Kind of disappointed that what I have always been under the impression is wrong

Does anyone know or have heard of ILM building a computer for something and it was so large they rented a garage for house it?

I distinctly remember the clip, and they had a black and white photo of the garage and men building was at the time was large hard drives

They even gave the example of the size of a floppy drive back then, and then the men holding the drive which had to be 4ft x 4ft

Psab keel

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Perhaps that was in reference to the custom built computer system they had to make to do the space shots. I do recall seeing lots of mentions about them having to hand craft the computer systems to be able to computerize multuiple passes to be able to composite the spaceships with the starfield and other elements for the battles.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.