It's kinda like equating SW with say, The Ramones... There's only so many ways you can put those 3-4 chords together with that same attitude they began with, & no new album will give you what you got the first time you experienced them. So what we get today is if a company bought the Ramones as a property, then announced a new slate of music, written by a group of focus testers & produced by Justin Timberlake & Timbaland, because they both site The Ramones as HUGE influences in their careers. Then each album that came out had one original member replaced, until by the 4th one, it was an all new lineup making music that sounded like The Ramones.
Around the time TFA was released I was using this same analogy (though with the ubiquitous Beatles) to articulate to my friends why I wasn't interested in a new Star Wars movie. We wouldn't accept anything other than those guys as the Ramones or as the Beatles but why are we okay with it in movies? I feel that way about Star Wars. When you have different actors, writers, composers, make-up/fx artists, producers, directors, etc., then can the ensuing work still be considered a true successor? Maybe? Maybe not? Obviously a few of those roles do change hands from movie to movie sure, and certain roles are more vital than others. But when you're so far removed from the originals (as well as the time when it was made) and virtually none of the original crew still exist outside of a handful, is it really true to call it "Star Wars" or "Ghostbusters" or "Indiana Jones" at that point?

I'm not counting movies based on any literary or comic book characters as those tend to be open to creative reinterpretation. Now that being said, if you're directly following a specific movie like say, "Superman Returns" was as a sequel to Christopher Reeve's Superman, than yes I would have to apply the standard I described above.

Last edited:
5dkuia.jpg

Around the time TFA was released I was using this same analogy (though with the ubiquitous Beatles) to articulate to my friends why I wasn't interested in a new Star Wars movie. We wouldn't accept anything other than those guys as the Ramones or as the Beatles but why are we okay with it in movies? I feel that way about Star Wars. When you have different actors, writers, composers, make-up/fx artists, producers, directors, etc., then can the ensuing work still be considered a true successor? Maybe? Maybe not? Obviously a few of those roles do change hands from movie to movie sure, and certain roles are more vital than others. But when you're so far removed from the originals (as well as the time when it was made) and virtually none of the original crew still exist outside of a handful, is it really true to call it "Star Wars" or "Ghostbusters" or "Indiana Jones" at that point?

I'm not counting movies based on any literary or comic book characters as those tend to be open to creative reinterpretation. Now that being said, if you're directly following a specific movie like say, "Superman Returns" was as a sequel to Christopher Reeve's Superman, than yes I would have to apply the standard I described above.

Especially when you consider Star Wars and Indiana Jones were created for and inspired by the cinema. They are unlike a lot of other movies in that regard which existed outside the movies in the form of comicbooks, novels, or video games, etc. These two iconic properties are love letters to the movies that inspired them. I think that's an important distinction as to why they have not only endured, but why they stand apart from other franchises. How many others can you name that were initially conceived as being a cinema experience alone, much less a tribute to the silver screen?

Last edited:
I think I may have asked this before somewhere, but I don't remember ever getting a clear answer. The top flaps on a snowspeeder; lift or drag? In the movie it seems as lift. Flap goes up, that side of the ship rises. Like putting your hand out the car window, tilting it and it wants to rise. Sounds right, but your hand's weight is supported by your arm. Cut off your hand, it still falls.....

Wouldn't the upper flap on the snowspeeder actually be drag, causing that side to lower? I understand the flaps on the bottom being drag and used as air brakes. How would the upper flaps do anything different just because they are on top of the vehicle?
SSPport.jpgDB8463C2-46D2-44CF-BD2F-F8C4CEFCFAEEOriginal.jpg

I think it's more like the top flaps on NASCAR cars that help prevent rollovers. When the speeder banks into a turn, those flaps deploy as needed to keep it from turning into an unintended spin.

In every Star Wars flight game I've ever played, the top flaps help you turn. When both are up, they act like brakes along with the bottom flaps.

There doesn't seem to be any real world physics happening with those flaps. But they do look cool. Like the Falcon taking off and landing vertically.

I think the top ones help it turn. If the left one goes up, it provides drag, which makes it turn left and vice versa. I'd guess the horizontal "flaps" on the lower rear might help with climbing or diving.

Surprised she didnt already have her star given how connected she was in Hollywood. Its nice to see her honored, though. I hope the ceremony brings out as many SW folks as possible. It would be super cool if they put her star near the Scum and Villainy Cantina.

Another thing I've always wondered about. In TESB during Luke and Vader's fight in the carbon freezing chamber--take note of the background--was this supposed to be a forced perspective shot of a long walkway behind them? It's looks like maybe it kinda started out that way (catwalk tapering off, pipes shrinking in size to suggest distance) and then they just chucked the idea once they got in there and started setting up camera angles. If forced perspective was what they were actually going for, they totally screwed it up....It's not just promotional pics either, it's actually like this during the movie.
eq9MnZTEMoQ7LWjACSH3sS.jpg

Last edited:
Another thing I've always wondered about. In TESB during Luke and Vader's fight in the carbon freezing chamber--take note of the background--was this supposed to be a forced perspective shot of a long walkway behind them? It's looks like maybe it kinda started out that way (catwalk tapering off, pipes shrinking in size to suggest distance) and then they just chucked the idea once they got in there and started setting up camera angles. If forced perspective was what they were actually going for, they totally screwed it up....It's not just promotional pics either, it's actually like this during the movie.
View attachment 1468338

Thank you! I've always wondered the same thing because some of the concept art (Mcquarrie?) for this looked like it was supposed to be long hallways coming off of there.

View attachment 1468338

chamber.jpg

I think a lot about the missed opportunity starting from Episode 7. Rian's movie was awful, but JJ's movie was worse because his setups were terrible. Here's how I'd have started the series:

-Begin with a mission carried out by Luke, his Jedi daughter, Han, and his two kids who are Jedi (Jabba's Palace style).
-Something happens on the mission and Ben Solo discovers the power of the Dark Side.
-Ben begins a downward path, intensified by bitter politics within the New Republic (which has become a new Empire, more or less) and the death of his father towards the end of the movie.
-Leia is very active in government and still married to Han. Luke's wife has died.
-Luke trains Jedi and understands that Ben is at risk.

I'm not a screenwriter, but that is a good jumping-off point for a story people will care about. No more emperor, no more empire, and our heroes actually do stuff. Also leaves plenty of room for the next generation's stories and Ben's story. And you can even leave in a bunch of stuff TLJ touched on (Luke losing faith, etc.).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back