My nephew's first lightsaber was one similar that came out around 2005.

I watched SOLO again the other night and while it's not the best SW movie ever, I think it's definitely better than the Sequels. I noticed a bunch of things I didn't the first time, like Lando mentions "Oseon" (Flamewinds of Oseon), "Sharu" (Mindharp of Sharu), and "Starcave Nebula" (Starcave of ThonBoka). Han also mentions his dad working at CEC (Corellian Engineering Corporation) which built the YT-1300.

My nephew's first lightsaber was one similar that came out around 2005.

I watched SOLO again the other night and while it's not the best SW movie ever, I think it's definitely better than the Sequels. I noticed a bunch of things I didn't the first time, like Lando mentions "Oseon" (Flamewinds of Oseon), "Sharu" (Mindharp of Sharu), and "Starcave Nebula" (Starcave of ThonBoka). Han also mentions his dad working at CEC (Corellian Engineering Corporation) which built the YT-1300.
Definitely an underrated film. My favorite reference is to this old crappy game.
5127BH20TAL.jpg

I really don't find this tech all that impressive. I know it's a prototype and all but for years now fans have been doing stuff that puts this to shame. This is a cheap parlor trick by comparison if you ask me. Idk. I just don't feel it lives up to the year or so of hype the press has been giving it. I know others feel differently though.

Yeah I'm not impressed at all. For one it's way too slow. I don't remember seeing any lightsaber in the movies ignite that slowly. The $150 (or whatever they cost originally) MR FX lightsabers were more impressive. The way the media was treating this, I was expecting to see someone chop a log in half with it.

I really don't find this tech all that impressive. I know it's a prototype and all but for years now fans have been doing stuff that puts this to shame. This is a cheap parlor trick by comparison if you ask me. Idk. I just don't feel it lives up to the year or so of hype the press has been giving it. I know others feel differently though.
Saber hilts fan made and commissions blow anything Disney or any commercial entity has made out of the water. I have seen really impressive internal hilt stuff and interaction with a PV blade for dueling but the spooking out an LED has been a first. Im not an expert on all the fan-made tech though.

i am curious about 2 things with the tech to be honest: 1) how it functions (i dont expect dueling but does the blade stay static when swinging) and 2) how the “active blade” looks up close. If its an obvious metal cap holding the led spool out, its not impressive but if it does look like an actual blade ip close that may be cool.

its also apparently not going to be commercialized tech with only Disney staff being able to use the blades and the sabers not being for sale so the tech may be a little more sophisticated. I would love to see the RPF break down and improve upon the tech if there is something worthy there.

But in ROTJ, yeah, every time someone lights up it's pretty instantaneous. I won't get into visual storytelling and implication of Luke's more aggressive demeanor... Every time someone ignites slowly, it seems to be a deliberate, cautious action.

But in ROTJ, yeah, every time someone lights up it's pretty instantaneous. I won't get into visual storytelling and implication of Luke's more aggressive demeanor... Every time someone ignites slowly, it seems to be a deliberate, cautio

yeah you are right and I pre-hyped myself. The tech isnt very impressive when you start diving deeper into it.

This video gave some good close-ups and we can see that the mechanism seems to be a collapse-able PV tube inside the hilt that maybe comes out with the power of the internal motor which is why even the tip lights up. However, the hilt isnt big enough to hold everything in so the tip still sticks out.

the internal mechanism itself also seems to be quite big since upon closer inspection since the hilt is not screen accurate (its a big graflex). The tech as is would be impossible to implement for the obi and its best bet may honestly be Maul.

this may be an over-simplification but the mechanism could be like those ToysRUs lightsabers (you flick your wrist and the blade comes out from the hilt) with the blade coming out powered by an internal motor.

yeah you are right and I pre-hyped myself. The tech isnt very impressive when you start diving deeper into it.

This video gave some good close-ups and we can see that the mechanism seems to be a collapse-able PV tube inside the hilt that maybe comes out with the power of the internal motor which is why even the tip lights up. However, the hilt isnt big enough to hold everything in so the tip still sticks out.

the internal mechanism itself also seems to be quite big since upon closer inspection since the hilt is not screen accurate (its a big graflex). The tech as is would be impossible to implement for the obi and its best bet may honestly be Maul.

this may be an over-simplification but the mechanism could be like those ToysRUs lightsabers (you flick your wrist and the blade comes out from the hilt) with the blade coming out powered by an internal motor.
There's a couple of threads about it in the SW section. The tech is basically 2 tape measure type 'blades' that are translucent, with an LED strip sandwiched between them. The whole shebang is reeled in & out be a series of motors & tensioners.
Screenshot_20210504-170238.png

Looking at this through the eyes of a kid. This is the saber that I dreamed off. Something that contained the whole blade but could light up as well. The closet thing we ever got was those spiring loaded Force Action monstrosities.
24c8ce26b7954b3fb15a6d3722193ef5lg.png

They were huge! And poorly lit. The idea that this tech will hopefully only get better, smaller, and cheaper, is exciting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back