I swear I've been here before....
So what would you guys all like to see in a post TROS world?
I personally think a large (100+ year) time jump and then broad strokes adaptation of the NJO era would be interesting.
That depends. I really liked the cast in the sequels and think that they deserved a better story overall, with better character development across the board. I'd love to see them return for a subsequent series (NOT TRILOGY) of films that showcases what comes after the defeat of the First Order. If that's not possible, then what I'd like to see has more to do with changing things up within Star Wars.
If you're going to set the films in the future of the Star Wars galaxy, then they need to do a few things:
- Move away from the traditional Imperial/Rebels or Jedi/Sith conflict. You can have good Jedi and dark Jedi, but the "good guys are plucky underdogs against a massive power" thing isn't really effective anymore, and the steps you have to take to get there within the story end up making the whole thing unbelievable.
- I'd like to see a lot more grey introduced into the Jedi. Different views of the Force, rather than just "Light Side/Dark Side." The Force can be more than that, with that being one interpretation of it. And you can still have good and evil, but make it more nuanced.
- No more stormtroopers or stormtrooper knockoffs. Dudes in white armor who can't shoot straight? Seen it. Let's move on. If you're gonna set your stories in the immediate aftermath of the OT or the PT, ok, fine. Post-ST? No thanks. We're done with that. Maybe show some remnants of the First Order or whatever, but for the most part, let's just...move on.
- I think a lot of the traditional iconography leaves the stories too hidebound, and it's too easy to just lean on "DOESN'T THIS LOOK FAMILIAR AND SCRATCH YOUR NOSTALGIA ITCH?!?!?!" rather than tell a good story. So, while seeing the odd X-wing and such about, I'd prefer to see new designs. It's entirely possible to do. We've seen it already on plenty of other shows and within the films themselves.
- No. More. Trilogies. They're tradition? F*** tradition. Tradition has resulted in not one, not two, but THREE three-part stories where the end part felt incredibly rushed, and the story suffered for it. Marvel took 23 films over 11 years to build Phases 1-3, culminating in Avengers: Endgame. Not every film was a slam-dunk, but they all built towards something, and as a result, when Endgame finally hit, the emotional beats in it hit because we'd already seen the build-up over multiple other films. Bottom line: they took their time to craft a spectacular result. They didn't rush just to adhere to some "traditional" trilogy format. After TLJ, you could've done another 3-5 films to more effectively tell the tale, but no, JJ wanted to wrap it all up with a bow in one film. That was a mistake, and the whole thing suffered as a result.
- I'd be game for a civil war within the Jedi. I'd be game for the breakdown of the Republic as a result of the First Order conflict, and watching how they rebuild or whether they rebuild at all. Instead of a single galactic republic, maybe they splinter into different, smaller factions which serve as superpowers stuck in an uneasy alliance and/or true between them. There's plenty of things you could do with it.
- I'd like to see more of the underworld. I really enjoyed Solo. I thought it was a ton of fun and it showcased a side of the Star Wars universe that's been largely ignored until that point. I'd like to see more of it. Doesn't have to be with the Solo cast (although I liked them, too), but let's see more of the seedy side of the Star Wars universe. WE've gotten a bunch of that with The Mandolorian, and that's awesome, but I'd like to see what else can be done.