Dredd 2012 Electronics 3D Model and Build

MandoBarrett I'm in a place called Maple Ridge, it's the hottest place in Canada almost, it was 47 during last year's fun and we hit 41 yesterday.

Added a new file to the release, posted here: Dredd 2012 Lawgiver- Action, Light and Sound | Holster and Stand | V3 V2 by Props3DPro

There was one more thing I wanted to add: The transparent windows on the magazine so you can see the rounds. It's sort of silly leaving the sides open, but I was a bit stumped as to the best way to make it easily so I left it to the end. I have sort of a manifesto I wrote when I started this that I have yet to put on the props3d site, but I stick to: 'Whatever I release has to be repeatable by any shmuck with a 3D printer living in an apartment'.

That means while I personally can use my CNC on my own builds, I can't require custom PCBs, individual parts costing more than 70 dollars, or any specialized fabrication methods (like casting), to build the core model. There has to be a 3D printable or easily fabricable equivalent to all parts without using anything more than a saw and a drill. I want to make YouTube videos for all these that can be followed by anyone and not be like 'Ok, now let's use our half million dollar 5 axis CNC and make the titanium joiner it won't work without'. There's already enough people making those kind of fun to watch, impossible to replicate, videos. So while BeakZ is making the amazing metal barrels and triggers, which will totally show up in the videos. There's easily 3D printable versions of all parts parts in of the release, and the build portion of the video will be filmed using 3D printed parts. This also meant I can't use my CNC to cut Lexan windows, boo.

So I came up with this little 3D printable plate you can use as a guide to cut transparency film or any thin plastic, just cut around it and drop in, the bullets will retain it:
lawgiver mag insert.jpg

lawgiver mag transparency.jpg

Last edited:
So real question to those who want to make your own Lawgiver:
What level of detail would you like to see in the build video(s)?

- I have stop motion cameras on my printer but I find the footage pretty boring, but it's there and shows print orientation. Yes/No?
- Do you want to see the whole soldering process or just focus on the completed wiring?
- Sanding? There's sooo much sanding, but the techniques may be interested, or super boring

After filming the last few vids, and having them come out at 25min each edited. And after dumping the footage from the R2 upgrade last night and realizing I now have 275G of raw footage of me slowly sawing holes in MDF, I realized what to film and what to cut are are really a matter of taste and your personal level of patience with watching a sweaty man play with his toys.

I think if I showed EVERYTHING that went into a lawgiver I would have 8~10hrs of footage. I could cut down to either an hour of power that showed everything in brief, or something around the size of the lord of the rings extended cut, and both would be subjectively valid.

Since I'm just about to start the filming process I would be really interested to hear all of your thoughts, please :)

Painted the first set of resin parts. Really happy with how they turned out, they're a little overly shiny because the paint is still very wet. The little judge shield on the front site Michael VK added as an easter egg turned out perfectly! Since the whole sight is smaller than my pinky nail it was a bit in question if I'd have to adjust the model if the paint just filled it in, but I think it was a good balance.
20220727_203958.jpg

20220727_204104.jpg

This is also the point where every one of the models that make the lawgiver have been tested and fitted, so another milestone reached!

- I have stop motion cameras on my printer but I find the footage pretty boring, but it's there and shows print orientation. Yes/No?
- Do you want to see the whole soldering process or just focus on the completed wiring?
- Sanding? There's sooo much sanding, but the techniques may be interested, or super boring

After filming the last few vids, and having them come out at 25min each edited. And after dumping the footage from the R2 upgrade last night and realizing I now have 275G of raw footage of me slowly sawing holes in MDF, I realized what to film and what to cut are are really a matter of taste and your personal level of patience with watching a sweaty man play with his toys.

I think if I showed EVERYTHING that went into a lawgiver I would have 8~10hrs of footage. I could cut down to either an hour of power that showed everything in brief, or something around the size of the lord of the rings extended cut, and both would be subjectively valid.

Since I'm just about to start the filming process I would be really interested to hear all of your thoughts, please :)
I'd say stop motion on the sanding. Pretty sure most people know how to sand effectively on cosplay props in this forum-i hope
Full video on detailing/soldering and pitting that masterpiece together and video any "tricky" parts you think you will encounter.

MandoBarrett I'm in a place called Maple Ridge, it's the hottest place in Canada almost, it was 47 during last year's fun and we hit 41 yesterday.

Added a new file to the release, posted here: Dredd 2012 Lawgiver- Action, Light and Sound | Holster and Stand | V3 V2 by Props3DPro

There was one more thing I wanted to add: The transparent windows on the magazine so you can see the rounds. It's sort of silly leaving the sides open, but I was a bit stumped as to the best way to make it easily so I left it to the end. I have sort of a manifesto I wrote when I started this that I have yet to put on the props3d site, but I stick to: 'Whatever I release has to be repeatable by any shmuck with a 3D printer living in an apartment'.

That means while I personally can use my CNC on my own builds, I can't require custom PCBs, individual parts costing more than 70 dollars, or any specialized fabrication methods (like casting), to build the core model. There has to be a 3D printable or easily fabricable equivalent to all parts without using anything more than a saw and a drill. I want to make YouTube videos for all these that can be followed by anyone and not be like 'Ok, now let's use our half million dollar 5 axis CNC and make the titanium joiner it won't work without'. There's already enough people making those kind of fun to watch, impossible to replicate, videos. So while BeakZ is making the amazing metal barrels and triggers, which will totally show up in the videos. There's easily 3D printable versions of all parts parts in of the release, and the build portion of the video will be filmed using 3D printed parts. This also meant I can't use my CNC to cut Lexan windows, boo.

So I came up with this little 3D printable plate you can use as a guide to cut transparency film or any thin plastic, just cut around it and drop in, the bullets will retain it:
View attachment 1602077
View attachment 1602078
Oh damn- to that temp. Ya the hottest we got was 33-->41 with humidity. Must be a task to do all of this in the heat-but by the looks of it you have a nice set up/work shop. In this case needed!

Not much today, still hovering around 40c and progress is slow and sticky. The demo version needs a few days for the paint to set so it's just slowly rotating on fishing line, begging me to touch it too early.

I thought I would share this, found it while rearranging my shelving, this is the first prototype of the electronics with the original features. The original intention was to have blowback action when you shot, so I had a solenoid in the rear. That proved to be impractical and I swapped it with the pull to reload, which is both cooler and more functional. That's the reason for the guide rails on the reload action now, they were a relic from the solenoid to keep it reciprocating smoothly but worked really well to give the slide pull a smooth feel.

The other feature that got dropped was the servo, it was going to have a button to extend the suppressor, but after sizing the space I had I ended up making the mag swappable instead, it's more fun, practical, and gives me a single channel in the top for the electronics. Most of the boards were supposed to be in the heel, but it left only a teeny space for a battery, this little blue one you see here. So having that little battery drive a servo, the solenoid, the VR, the OLED, the audio, the LEDs, etc, the battery life was just stupidly low.

Swapping those out with the more user interactive features like the pull back and mag change giving me room for a X3 bigger battery, and at the same time meant the battery life went up by like X6.

20220728_192332.jpg

Last edited:

I think where ever possible key steps and highlights on techniques. For print orientation just page snapshots would be helpful. Sanding would be useful but just tips and hints for certain parts. Best to keep simple and brief.

Assembly on the demo version is done! This isn't a stellar finishing job, the goal is 'done' so after all this I can show how it actually looks and works, I've also developed a mighty case of tennis elbow so they only have so much grease to give for the time being. I want to get a small run listed soon so I do need to actually show one working first :p. I have a second one I'm taking my time with that I'll swap in soon, but this is more than good enough for what it needs to be for now. Remember that as long as you have a 3D printer, I'm releasing all the 3D models, code, parts lists, and instructions free for personal use!

Electronics are going in tomorrow:
20220729_224517.jpg

20220729_224536.jpg

20220729_224512.jpg

20220729_224546.jpg

Last edited:
Assembly on the demo version is done! This isn't a stellar finishing job, the goal is 'done' so after all this I can show how it actually looks and works, I've also developed a mighty case of tennis elbow so they only have so much grease to give for the time being. I want to get a small run listed soon so I do need to actually show one working first :p. I have a second one I'm taking my time with that I'll swap in soon, but this is more than good enough for what it needs to be for now. Remember that as long as you have a 3D printer, I'm releasing all the 3D models, code, parts lists, and instructions free for personal use!

View attachment 1602804
View attachment 1602801
View attachment 1602803
View attachment 1602800
PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 1602804
View attachment 1602801
View attachment 1602803
View attachment 1602800
I have no words. That is stunning!

The audio has been driving me nuts, but I think I finally cracked it. The largest speaker that would fit is 28mm, so I ordered a ton of them, but I really wasn't super happy with the level. So I had an idea last night, I'm sort of playing by my own made up rules keeping everything inside the lines. The cowl is slightly larger than the frame so if I make the speaker ring just a titch larger than the caddy, extending it over the side, I can barely fit a 30mm speaker in it, like to within .2mm of touching the side. With the cowl off it sticks out, but with it on there's no way to notice this at all.
lawgiver tollerances.jpg

I printed both, here they are side by side:
lawgiver sound 28 vs 30mm.jpg

The testing setup:
lawgiver sound testing.jpg

And the results:

28mm
lawgiver28mm.jpg

30mm
lawgiver30mm.jpg

The difference in both volume and richness in sound is obvious even to my my ever-angry-at-how-much-I-spend-on-this-stuff wife who was really determined to say they sound the same.

Oddly 1 vs 2 speakers makes no difference in sound level, since they're both pushing air at the same rate, but it does make a big difference in the fullness of the sound and how much bass their is.

So 2 30mm speakers it is! (if anyone has a use for a big box of 28mm speakers, hit me up)

Last edited:
Greetings Judges

The barrels are finished!

PXL_20220730_185112016.jpg

They have all been finished to 800 grit and cleaned up ready for finish. I primed 3 of mine to see how they take the paint and they are awesome. The 4mm holes are all threaded for M4 bolts and each one has been test fit to a Lawgiver body.

PXL_20220730_200400905.jpg

Now that they are put to bed and my 3D prints are almost complete, the triggers will be my next focus. Anyone familiar with CNC knows the pain that can come with cutting everything from foam to steel. The mish-mash print of the Lawgiver at the bottom was an old V2 print that I ... ahem ... broke, that I've used for test fits.

That's all for now. When I get the triggers underway (tomorrow hopefully) I'll post some updates for those too.

Stay energized,

BeakZ

Greetings Judges

The barrels are finished!

View attachment 1602944

They have all been finished to 800 grit and cleaned up ready for finish. I primed 3 of mine to see how they take the paint and they are awesome. The 4mm holes are all threaded for M4 bolts and each one has been test fit to a Lawgiver body.

View attachment 1602947
Now that they are put to bed and my 3D prints are almost complete, the triggers will be my next focus. Anyone familiar with CNC knows the pain that can come with cutting everything from foam to steel. The mish-mash print of the Lawgiver at the bottom was an old V2 print that I ... ahem ... broke, that I've used for test fits.

That's all for now. When I get the triggers underway (tomorrow hopefully) I'll post some updates for those too.

Stay energized,

BeakZ
Dude! Those look amazing. I'm in awe of your machining prowess, can't wait to see your handiwork all together!

The march continues!

Today's fun is inventory and parts validation, needed before I can publish a final parts list, do a run, and start filming the 'how to's. So I laid all the parts out, there's still a few small bits in the other room here but this is 95%. There's 7 sets of electronics on the left, and 10 sets of screws:

lawgiver electronics.jpg

I've taken the extra 3 sets of electronics and sorted them into small bins by soldering operation, with each bin containing all the wires and parts to complete that operation:

lawgiver solder operations.jpg

I'm using the demo I finished yesterday as a base, here's what it looks like with the top off and the boards pulled out. They come out smoothly so you can upgrade the code, train the voice recognition, or change the sound files on the SD card, the boot text is optional and you can add your own:
lawgiver open.jpg

The next thing to do is to build another lawgiver and use one full set of electronics and screws, that will validate that the kits are complete and all the wire lengths etc are right. If that's good the 2 sets of parts remaining in the boxes will be the parts I make the video tutorial and guides from. The remaining part sets will be part of a run listed soon (I have 2 more small bugs to iron out, I'm not listing anything until I'm 100% confident)

Release features list:

1. Trainable Voice Recognition: "Armor Piercing", "Incendiary", "Hotshot", "High Ex", "Stun", "Full Metal", "Rapid".
2. OLED screen tracks the current mode which changes on voice command, animated round counter. Will stop firing when out of ammo with an out of ammo sound.
3. Crisp short stroke trigger for rapid fire, adjustable via removable trigger group
4. Pull back slide with steel guide rods reload plays reload sound and reloads all ammo types and resets counters.
5. In barrel 7 segment LED for fire effects with lens focuser
6. DNA check on startup with red and green LEDs, if you don’t hold down the trigger during boot the check fails and you need to turn it on and off again to reset
7. Removable magazine with 3D double stack bullets and clear view window. Dummy rounds are removable to create empty magazine look.
8. Swappable high capacity lipo battery so you don't have to recharge if it runs dry
9. Dual 30mm speakers with 2.5A amplifier for loud, clear sound
10. Resin printed sights and plaque to show every small detail, including the judge’s shield on the front sight (all FDM printable but you lose detail)
11. Cavities for adding glow to front and rear sights for working night sights
12. MicroSD for audio, add your own sounds just by dropping new files
13. Fully open source modular project, parts can be fixed or replaced, everything is accessible via just a few screws. Code can be upgraded for new releases via internal usb port. GitHub - Props3D/dredd-lawgiver .

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back