Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Dry-for-wet shots.
Seriously, you can't rent a waterproof camera and throw your actor into a pool for the afternoon? I'm looking right at you, Lord of the Rings.

If defibrillators don't work like they do in the movies, can someone please explain how they do work?.......just in case one of us ever gets into that situation. All I know of them is from what I've seen in movies. I'd hate to accidentally rekill someone, if it ever came up.

If defibrillators don't work like they do in the movies, can someone please explain how they do work?.......just in case one of us ever gets into that situation. All I know of them is from what I've seen in movies. I'd hate to accidentally rekill someone, if it ever came up.

Short answer: Fibrillation is when your heart is getting weird electrical signals, so it beats erratically. A defibrillator zaps it to get the electricity running correctly, and beating in a correct rhythm. Most commercial defibrillators have pictures and voice commands right on them, so the machine walks you through zapping someone. They also detect heartbeats, so it won't go off if the heart is beating normally. The machines are made so that it's difficult to accidentally rekill someone.

Short answer: Fibrillation is when your heart is getting weird electrical signals, so it beats erratically. A defibrillator zaps it to get the electricity running correctly, and beating in a correct rhythm. Most commercial defibrillators have pictures and voice commands right on them, so the machine walks you through zapping someone. They also detect heartbeats, so it won't go off if the heart is beating normally. The machines are made so that it's difficult to accidentally rekill someone.

I was having surgery last year and as they started to put me under and that is exactly what happen to me and I had to be zapped to get it working properly again. All I remember about it is someone saying this is going to hurt. THEY WERE NOT WRONG. I do know that I didn't jump or jerk like they show in the movies but I don't know how much of a jolt I got so it might be different for each person.

Back in the mid-1980s the company I worked for hired a guy who fairly quickly became a good friend. He had been a Firefighter before I met him, and while I knew him he became a Paramedic and EMT before he blew his back out and became an emergency dispatcher. That being the case, he would regularly laugh and/or complain about how Firefighters/Paremedics/EMT's/Ambulance Drivers/Technicians were represented in movies and on TV. He died on Christmas morning last year (2019), caused by a number of health issues. So he and I knew each other for roughly 36 years. 36 years. And in all that time, not ONCE did he EVER ****ING EXPLAIN TO ME HOW DEFIBRILLATORS WORK AND THAT TV AND MOVIES CONSTANTLY GOT IT WRONG!!! Son of a b****!!!!! :mad:

The sound of rubber tyres screeching during a chase when they are driving on ice, snow, mud, gravel, etc.

I think that is funny because from what I've heard they actually wet down the roads when filming at night because they think it makes it look better but then they put in the damn tire squeels. (Yes, I'm from America so I spell tire the way it is meant to be ;)).

Countdown clocks measuring how long the world has until total destruction, only to be stopped a few seconds from zero and everything is OK now
(Flash Gordon 1980, Geostorm)
Epic worldwide catastrophes just do not work that way. There is no magic division between things gradually getting worse and annihilation, if you stop the destruction even a day sooner people are still pretty ****** up. If you have massive storms hitting even a small portion the effects are far ranging.
These clocks only exist to give viewers a sense of urgency and give them the feeling the heroes saved the word at the last minute

There were a couple of TNG episodes with the computer counting down to fatal radiation exposure. :lol:

Countdown clocks measuring how long the world has until total destruction, only to be stopped a few seconds from zero and everything is OK now
(Flash Gordon 1980, Geostorm)
Epic worldwide catastrophes just do not work that way. There is no magic division between things gradually getting worse and annihilation, if you stop the destruction even a day sooner people are still pretty ****** up. If you have massive storms hitting even a small portion the effects are far ranging.
These clocks only exist to give viewers a sense of urgency and give them the feeling the heroes saved the word at the last minute

When people in movies and tv ride a roller coaster they always sit up front. Anyone who knows anything about roller coasters knows that if you want the most speed and G-forces, you sit in the very back. Has none of them ever heard of the 'crack the whip' effect?

Also, what is with the raising the hands up in the air? That serves no purpose whatsoever for anything.

Honestly I've come to realize I don't care for Tom Holland as Spiderman. He may be a nice guy in real life but I find him kind of annoying. I can't put my finger on what it is. Plus I'm kind of worn out on the character as it is with all the reboots. I find him less interesting as I get older and I more gravitate towards Batman who I've always loved.

When people in movies and tv ride a roller coaster they always sit up front...

I assume it's just a practical matter of getting the shot by attaching cameras to the front of the front cart. Same way rear view mirrors tend to get removed from inside of movie cars.

Unless the fact they're going to the back is somehow a plot point, I can't imagine it's worth the extra effort to get that shot.

Honestly I've come to realize I don't care for Tom Holland as Spiderman... I can't put my finger on what it is...

He's one of the first Peter Parker characters we've seen where becoming Spider-Man has made him LESS comfortable with himself, and damaged his confidence.

Holland's Parker would have been a lot like Ned prior getting his powers. Just a nerd enjoying being a nerd, and being good at it. Now that he's got his powers, he's been thrust into an even larger scale world, where if he screws up, people die. He doesn't think he's good enough, and it's effecting his whole life and sense of self. He used to have a solid understanding of who he was (smart nerd) but now he's got no bearing on who he is/should be.

The previous live action Spider-Man Parkers went the other way; they were uncertain of themselves, then got powers, and we're like "**** YEA, I can be confident and popular now!"

I prefer the Holland version of Parker, but it's certainly different than what we've had before.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with Tom Holland at all, for a lot of the reasons Strikerkc said. I like him a whole lot more than I did Andrew Garfield. However, what really gets me is the Hollywood tactic of endlessly rebooting these characters. I know Sony and Fox had to in order to keep the rights to the characters, but they are never good. We don't need to see a billion Batman origin stories. We don't need to see Spider-Man get bitten by a radioactive spider anymore. Anyone who is going to see the movies knows their origins. Just make a good movie! The problem with Hollywood is that they have these properties and they're going to milk them to death, no matter what. It's never "can we make a good movie?" it's "we've got this character and we need to make a movie with them whether we have anything good to do or not!"

And of course, the absurd power creep dynamic that has been a problem in comics since they began. You have to keep making your characters stronger so that they always have a bigger, badder villain to fight, then they become so absurdly powerful that nothing you can do with them is interesting anymore. Reboot, lather, rinse, repeat. But a lot of these characters have probably worn out their welcome. We don't need to keep seeing the same things over and over again. Make a new character. Tell a new story. I am tired of Iron Man and Thor. Give me something different. But you don't get that, do you? Because these properties make money and ultimately, that's all Hollywood cares about.

I don't really have a problem with Holland, I guess, other than the fact that I don't like that he is Robin to Tony Stark's Iron Man. I can't stand all that "I don't wanna go, I don't wanna go" whiny crap. Personally, I feel Spider-man as part of The Avengers with a tech suit goes against everything I ever liked about Spider-man. The comics I grew up with he would never want to be an Avenger. But, that being said, I have enjoyed him in the current movies. It's not the Spider-man I would've preferred, but I can deal with it. I do enjoy them.

As far a "my" perfect Spider-man, I think Andrew Garfield portrayed the closest thing to the Spider-man I wanted as far as the attitude. I'm thinking about stuff like the "No knives!, Atchoo!, I just did 80% of your job for you, Hey, I'm swingin' here! Or even "Lick that!" from TASM2. He most definitely had the personality of Spider-man right. Certainly, I wasn't fond of his first suit but the second one spot-on, except I am not a fan of the huge MacFarlane eyes. I will wholeheartedly agree that Holland's suit ,minus the A.I. tech and Iron Spider tentacles does look good. All I have ever wanted was Romita eyes. I was never a fan of the emoting, moving eyes stuff from the cartoons and stuff, but the way they explained it, it worked, and it worked well, I'm all for that. Totally on board with it.

That being said, I'm not saying that the Garfield movies were great Spider-man movies, far from it. And he certainly was not my idea of Peter Parker, but he was a good Spider-man. Personally, I have yet to see anyone be the Peter Parker I expected. Toby just didn't have the build for a good Spider-man, not lanky enough. But, at first, when it all started, after Pleasentville, I was happy with the casting choice. Don't even get me started on Kirsten Dunst and replacing Gwen with MJ.....or organic web shooters. The logic behind that is as stupid as saying "we gotta change Batman's costume because the actor can't turn his head." It's a f-ing movie!! You can edit it and make him do anything you want!! As much as I love The Dark Knight--worst Batman suit ever conceived!!! Watch the behind the scenes stuff on the first X-men movie, those guys couldn't even walk up the steps in those suits...but other than not being comic accurate, no one ever seemed to complain.......but I get off subject....

Did not like the Toby outfit too much. Spider-man does not have triangle eyes. If it ain't Romita eyes, it ain't Spider-man. I can deal with raised webbing, that looked cool at the time, but seemed a little too much. I prefer the Homecoming or Far From Home look of the suits, just not too fond of the Karen or whatever crap.

And Spider-man should never scream "Whoooo-hooo!" when he is swinging, no matter which version...

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back