Things you're tired of seeing in movies

All these rules about dialogue and costumes... I thought comics were supposed to be fun. Spider-Man changes his costume dozens of times throughout the decades and nobody seemed to care. Hell, there was even a time where he was literally half spider after a power removal tonic backfired. Now, he can't have the slightest change in the shape of his lenses, or even shout "whoo-hoo!" Some people really know how to suck the entertainment out of the entertainment industry.

Also, let's face it, the MCU is only what it is today because the X-Men movies stayed grounded within reality in the early 2000s. Iron Man shooting laser beams at Thanos was something that had to be gradually worked up to. That's why when Iron Man was made in 2008, he was captured by a Middle Eastern terrorist group with Mandarin iconography, and not straight up by the Mandarin himself. People in 2008 could accept a tech genius developing weaponized armor during the War on Terrorism. It was grounded and believable, and left room for further development.

Last edited:
It just depends on which Spider-man you grew up with. The spider-man I grew up with was not loved by the masses. They did not scream "Go Spidey go!" when he swung by. I get that times change, I get it, I'm not trying to change it, it's just not my Spider-man. The reason Spider-man became so popular in the first place was because the 'in-universe' public did not like him. They were afraid of him. He was at his best, comic wise, when he was spurned by the populace, wanted for murder, hounded by JJ Jameson, and everything he touched seemed to turn to hell. He was the Everyman. Misunderstood. Couldn't ever get a break. That's why he became the best selling super hero of all time. He was the outsider. The 'cool' super heroes did not like him. He rejected the Fantastic Four and the Avengers. He and Johnny Storm had a respectful rivalry that lasted for decades. His whole "point" was that he did not fit in. That's why people identified with him.

Turning Spider-man into a fun loving, woo hoo shouting, crowd favorite took away his original whole meaning. If you grew up on "...and his amazing Friends" and stuff after that, that is fine, I'm not trying to take anything away from you. But if you grew up on Spider-man comics in the late 60s and early 70s, you will know that today's Spider-man is completely different from what gave him his original appeal in the first place.

And I still like him. I liked all the movies. No problem.

Countdown clocks measuring how long the world has until total destruction, only to be stopped a few seconds from zero and everything is OK now
(Flash Gordon 1980, Geostorm)
I forget which Mission Impossible movie it was, but they had a countdown to when they could give someone a vaccine, and of course they made it with like 2 seconds to spare. I didn't see the rest of the movie because my eyes rolled right out of my head.

I liked Tom Holland in Civil War but then slightly less so in each of the subsequent movies. He's surely better written than previous Spider-Mans although I think Far From Home was a misstep for the character. My thing is I wish they would get him away from the rest of the MCU. One of Spidey's recurring themes from the early comics is that he's pretty much alone in dealing with his problems. In the MCU, he has both Stark Industries and SHIELD at his disposal not to mention his high school friends. I want to see it go back to smaller conflicts like in Homecoming.

Did not like the Toby outfit too much. Spider-man does not have triangle eyes. If it ain't Romita eyes, it ain't Spider-man. I can deal with raised webbing, that looked cool at the time, but seemed a little too much. I prefer the Homecoming or Far From Home look of the suits, just not too fond of the Karen or whatever crap.
Yeah the Civil War/Homecoming suit minus the tech is my favorite hands down. The Romita eyes and original-esque pattern/insignias.

The sound of rubber tyres screeching during a chase when they are driving on ice, snow, mud, gravel, etc.

The sound of tyres screeching at all ruins a scene for me. Cars have all had anti-lock brakes for years. I have never had the tyres on my car screech, and I often drive 'spiritedly'.

IIRC tire screech is not stopped by antilock brakes, that only prevents tires from skidding fron a sudden stop. Most tire screech is from the tires loosing grip/traction during severe cornering or drifting.
I do think however foley artists sprinkle far too many needless sounds into a scene intending to rachet up the excitement with little regard for what really happens in the real world.

Last edited:
A man chased by a motorcycle runs in the middle of a road.
Wait, motorcyclists don't ride down the middle of the street where you are? :p

IIRC tire screech is not stopped by antilock brakes, that only prevents tires from skidding fron a sudden stop. Most yire dcreech is from the tires loosing grip/traction during severe cornering or drifting.
I do think however foley artists sprinkle far too many needless sounds into a scene intending to rachet up the excitement with little regard for what really happens in the real world.
Indeed. My tires are currently screechy right now because they're old and in need of replacement.

I also know that having less than ample air in your tires will also increase tire screeching.

It's the Prometheus school of running away from things. Nobody in their right mind runs away from things like that. They go off at a right angle.
It's particularly stupid in The Fugitive (1993) when the prison bus comes to rest on the railroad tracks with a train bearing down on it, and the allegedly intelligent Dr. Kimball (Ford) jumps out of the side window of the bus and lands on the tracks (still in the path of the oncoming train) instead of running to the back of the bus and exiting through the open Emergency Exit where he would have been clear of the track and the train.

It's the Prometheus school of running away from things. Nobody in their right mind runs away from things like that. They go off at a right angle.
To be fair, most people trying to escape a massive falling object aren't in their right mind. Instinct kicks in and they just run...

I had a psychotic girlfriend in high school try to run me down with a horse. Instead of running away I ran towards the horse and cut under it's left so it overshot and away from me. This was not preplanned, it was just an instinctual reaction to what I suddenly faced...

It's done because it looks exciting on screen. It's still dumb no matter how you try to justify it.
I mean, yes, people are stupid. I believe we have a thread dedicated solely to the stupidity of people in one state.

I had a psychotic girlfriend in high school try to run me down with a horse. Instead of running away I ran towards the horse and cut under it's left so it overshot and away from me. This was not preplanned, it was just an instinctual reaction to what I suddenly faced...
It's fight or flight. Some people's instinct tells them to flee from danger. Another person's may tell them to face down the danger head on. Yours sounds more like the latter.

Attachments

• BOOBY TRAPPED BEAR 5.png
    BOOBY TRAPPED BEAR 5.png
    594.1 KB · Views: 69

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back