Star Trek Nemesis Data...is he

Those saying those comics are Non Canon are mistaken.

The comics were worse than the two movies. The whole "the Narada is in telepathic contact with Nero" bit, along with "How can we figure out where and when to find Spock... I know, find V'Ger, it can tell us!" That's just... bad.

It's also my understanding in TNG that Jean-Luc knew Jack and Beverly Crusher long before Jack and Jean-Luc served on the Stargazer...

Well we do know that Brent Spiner was last seen selling MIB LCDR Data action figures out of the back of his car in the Pasadena, California area.:lol

Since Data managed to time travel in ST-TNG episodes AND completely defile the Space-Time-Continuum line I wouldn't be surprised if B4 turned up in the new ST movie series from the future.......considering the new reboot also dealt with the S-T-C theory.

ST universes' solution to all ailing series: Space-Time-Continuum!

Unfortunately when that enters the plot line the series is doomed! Enterprise anyone?

I think his point was she would not have known him while he was at the Academy, as is suggested when Picard shows her a picture of his cadet self and says "remember him?"

Yeah, but I wanted to play with the romantic angle for my own amusement. Though the asspull answer might just be he's referring to a younger Picard from a time when they did know each other. Some of the continuity hiccups are easier to explain than others :D

If you've ever seen any of the cast interviews, they all are of the same mindset that Nemesis was their last film. With the new Trek growing into a sequel as we speak, there will more than likely not be a return of old Trek with new Trek in the main stream.

I thought Nemesis could have been much better than it was. I was not impressed with the loss of data and the B4 character. There was talk of killing Picard rather than Data but opinions were greatly against that.

Believe me, I wish that TNG had a chance to go out on the right foot, but I doubt it'll happen now.

Honestly, First Contact was the last really GREAT TNG film (IMO). I would have loved Generations if they hadn't destroyed the D. That really made me sad - I loved that ship as much as I loved the refit-A.

Those saying those comics are Non Canon are mistaken. They tell the back story leading up to Trek 09. The whole loss of Romulus, The Jellyfish, Red Matter, WHY Nero hates Vulcans (they basically stonewalled things in the Federation Council, until there was no saving Romulus) where the Narada came from, (which is a part Borg ship if you didn't know or couldn't guess). If you read them, THEN watch The movie, things make a Hell of a lot more sense. What saddens me is the the studios just feel that a movie like Trek 09 HAS to fit in the 90-120 minute span, when if you gave it another 30 minutes to clarify things, would make a superior product. Hey Studios...30 more minutes = people needing more food and drink, which = more $$$.

I agree. I actually enjoyed the prequel comic more than Trek 09. I was happy to see Data again as well, and wish that they would have used some of the backstory in the film. Sigh.

A friend of mine supposedly ran into Frakes at a pub in Ireland or England. Anyway, from what I remember of the story, Frakes said no one was happy with the way it ended, and he had been trying to, and at least at the point said friend talked to him, in getting everyone together for one more movie or get a new series going.

Sadly, neither happened.

So do I.

It's ™, it's ©, it's Paramount owned, it's acknowledged by Bob and Alex, it's a story that writers get paid to write, it's as fictitious as the other material, it uses the actors likeness which also costs money, we pay money for it and the money supports more official Star Trek material. To say material isn't canon simply by stating that the material doesn't match something else is the most disingenuous and harmful thing that can happen to a story. Not only were these canon decision done solely based on opinions by one man who abandoned his own show third season, but it also sends a bad message when the studios tell their loyal customers that what they're buying doesn't count but will still take their money.

Oh, did I mention that Uhura and Sulu's first names came from novels, and Kirk's middle name was revealed in the animated series for the first time? All of which are considered non-canon, but all of them are honored. Even the Narada having Borg technology is on the BluRay.

Pspsps. "Non-canon" argument garbage.

I think his point was she would not have known him while he was at the Academy, as is suggested when Picard shows her a picture of his cadet self and says "remember him?"

I actually don't remember him saying that picture was taken during the academy...and FFS, when did they state that that was an academy uniform to begin with. I mean it might be accepted by us as that, but never once have I seen it stated that it was an academy uniform.

I mean, you can see officers wear those uniforms all the way through TUC. Who's to say that wasn't a Lt. Jean-Luc Picard still cocky as ever as Beverly described him.

IIRC, the only time Picard referred to his academy days was right before he sent the Enterprise on a collision course with the Scimitar.

IIRC, the only time Picard referred to his academy days was right before he sent the Enterprise on a collision course with the Scimitar.

Either way, he wasn't bald at that age. Heck, he wasn't really bald even during his Captain days. He has that ring of hair around his head. Shinzon doesn't have that, and neither does that stupid picture of him.

Kirk's middle name was revealed in the animated series for the first time? All of which are considered non-canon

Excepting of course that Kirk's first middle name was something with an R.

Go re-watch Where No MAN Has Gone Before.

So where is Canon now?

Expecting EVERYTHING to follow canon in something as large as Star Trek is a fools errand.

Either way, he wasn't bald at that age. Heck, he wasn't really bald even during his Captain days. He has that ring of hair around his head. Shinzon doesn't have that, and neither does that stupid picture of him.

I think someone even mentioned that he may have had a full head of hair when he graduated the academy, and may have at one point shaved his entire head...the thing is...no one knows for sure, as the time it took Picard to make it from the academy to Captain of the Enterprise would probably have been 25+ years, there's no real backstory to it.

Anyways back to the subject at hand...am I the only person who actually LIKED Nemesis???

There was an episode of TNG that had a flashback scene (I believe it may have been more of a dream/nightmare sequence) in which Beverly and a young(er) Picard are walking down a hallway together. This may have had something to do with Picard telling Beverly that her husband Jack was dead.

Anyway the shot had Picard (played by Stewart) with a thinning head of hair (I think in a comb-over hairstyle). My opinion only but Picard doesn't strike me as the type to deliberately shave his head.

EDIT- found it: It was the episode "Violations" from the 5th season.

Crusher_and_Picard_2354.jpg

629px-Picard-Jack_Crusher_corpse.jpg

This flashback sequence took place in 2354. Picard would have been 49 and Captain of the Stargazer.

Kevin

Last edited:
Anyway the shot had Picard (played by Stewart) with a thinning head of hair (I think in a comb-over hairstyle). My opinion only but Picard doesn't stike me as the type to deliberately shave his head.
Kevin

Yes, the guy who started a bar fight and laughed when he got stabbed through the heart isn't the type to shave his head. Being both completely bald and having a full head of hair when he was in his 20s, to having thinning hair in the flashback, to the wreath of hair during TNG makes WAY more sense than a 20-something going through a "I bet I look good bald" phase.

I guess the Romulans don't have razors either since everyone assumes Shinzon is natually bald despite being cloned from a guy who isn't.

Anyways back to the subject at hand...am I the only person who actually LIKED Nemesis???

The subject was about Data... and yes you were.

Whether or not people borrowed things from books or TAS is irrelevant. They are not canon. That's according to the studio, and Roddenberry (not to mention D.C. Fontana) Kirk and McCoy were never attacked by zombies, the X-Men never met both TOS and TNG crews, Kodos and Kirk never fought in battle, the Enterprise has more than three decks (check out some of the comics from the '70's) and the constant contradictions from the novels do not exist within canon.

As for the uniform, it's not an officers uniform. We never saw officers wear that particular uniform. We saw what his uniform looked like when he graduated (an officers uniform without the collar we'd seen in the TOS movies). The truth is, that Stuart Baird was informed that he should have hair. Baird didn't care. He wanted audiences to immediately know whom they were looking at.

I think someone even mentioned that he may have had a full head of hair when he graduated the academy, and may have at one point shaved his entire head...the thing is...no one knows for sure, as the time it took Picard to make it from the academy to Captain of the Enterprise would probably have been 25+ years, there's no real backstory to it.

I liked Nemesis. It wasn't without its flaws, which annoy me, but I still liked it. It wasn't as boring as Insurrection at least.

Also, for the record:
2305: Born - Presumably little to no hair
2317: Age 12 - Full head of brown hair (per "Rascals" de-aged appearance)
2323: Age 18 - Bald (per "Nemesis" photo)*
2327: Age 22 - Full head of brown hair (per "Samaritan Snare" flashback)
2354: Age 49 - Thinning brown hair (per "Violations)
2364: Age 59 - Wreath of white hair (per "Encounter at Farpoint)
2379: Age 74 - Wreath of white hair (per "Nemesis")

So yes, in six years he went completely bald, then had some sort of future Rogain treatment to get his full head of hair back, then over a period of about 37 years went bald at a much slower rate which plateaued for at least 15 years.

Or you know, there are razors in the future.

*assumes that photo is of Academy era Picard based on Uniform and lack of visible rank insigina

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back