Star Trek: Discovery Season 5

star_wars6_movie_screencaps.com_13433.jpg

I actually liked seasons 2 & 3 for the most part but I only got a couple of episodes in on season 4 before giving up on it. To be honest, I thought it had been cancelled.

It's still on but onlybecause of guaranteed seasons. This show did some good casting and then let every good decision on casting leave the show to start SNW.

DSC ist like self-flagellation if you have to punish yourself for very serious crimes.

from the article:
Both of the above ideas, however, are based on a fallacy commonly made by showrunners: that kids only want to see shows about their peers. If "Star Trek" was about younger people, the thinking goes, then younger people will tune in, right? "Star Trek," however, has always been about older characters. Here's my personal (and yes, very specific and opinionated) pitch: The central appeal is that the main characters are mature and well-formed, some of them with unbreakable codes of ethics or command styles they formed many years ago. The franchise is about thoughtful professionals who are good at their jobs, and Trekkies like to see them ply their skills with aplomb. Youthfulness is antithetical to "Star Trek." We don't want to see someone grow up. We want to see them already grown up.

I will hereby offer them the solution, free of charge: don't make more "Star Trek," and don't make younger "Star Trek." Make good, serious, cerebral, thoughtful, slow-moving "Star Trek" that appeals to nerdy kids. The ratings will be lower than you want, but I assure you, you'll be creating a new fanbase that will stick around for decades.

Yeah, all us 40 year old Trekkies started watching when we were in our teens or younger, DS9 was the first show I watched as it aired, However, I'd been exposed to TOS and TNG by my father previously.

21% Rotten Tomatoes score from audience for last season... I think that's pretty generous.
Just give us a full season of Captain Tilly & the mirror universe, forget Michael Burnham, and have the crew go to war against the Mirror Universe Borg who are peace loving hippies bent on bringing DEI to the universe.

I gave up after Season 3. Rewarding Michael Burnham time and time again for disobeying orders and causing the deaths of countless thousands, the final straw was giving her the role of Captain. That, combined with SMG's overacting, and I realized this show had a pattern that didn't work for me.

Love Strange New Worlds, though! When they had the guts to show us that Kirk will always be the better captain than Pike, I was all in.

21% Rotten Tomatoes score from audience for last season... I think that's pretty generous.
Just give us a full season of Captain Tilly & the mirror universe, forget Michael Burnham, and have the crew go to war against the Mirror Universe Borg who are peace loving hippies bent on bringing DEI to the universe.
Sheesh. I had to look up that rating. I'm not a fan of the show, but had no idea how low the audience rating it.

I find that their critics ratings at 88% is kind of misleading considering it's only 17 people making up that number. And I also find that critic's ratings tend to be incredibly off side compared to audience ratings for a LOT of movies.

I guess the hard core discovery fans will blame the audience rating on toxic old school fans or some nonsense.

My wife is a Trek fan, but can't stand discovery because of all the crying and oddly intense soap opera like drama acting. She's a little more forgiving with SNW, but even that has a lot of issues (for another thread).

I gave up after Season 3. Rewarding Michael Burnham time and time again for disobeying orders and causing the deaths of countless thousands, the final straw was giving her the role of Captain. That, combined with SMG's overacting, and I realized this show had a pattern that didn't work for me.

Love Strange New Worlds, though! When they had the guts to show us that Kirk will always be the better captain than Pike, I was all in.
That was about the same for me. I didn't make it through all of S3 though. I just couldn't despite my strong desire to see some new Star Trek. This just wasn't Star Trek. Just a generic sci-fi super soap.

I'm having issues with SNW though. I'm just finding that when things turn actiony, it's looking more like something from a Marvel super hero show/movie. That's not what Star Trek is, but that's what the producers seem to want to make.

I can still watch SNW at this point, and my criticism are easier to ignore because of some actual interesting stories, and some borderline decent dialogue. But, I mean, I'm really thinking that Pike isn't going to have his disfiguring accident the way it was supposed to happen. I'm pretty convinced that it's going to happen in his quarters while he's cooking, and some plasma conduit ruptures while he's making the crew dinner again. I mean, it's what he does most of the time, so it makes sense.

That was about the same for me. I didn't make it through all of S3 though. I just couldn't despite my strong desire to see some new Star Trek. This just wasn't Star Trek. Just a generic sci-fi super soap.

I'm having issues with SNW though. I'm just finding that when things turn actiony, it's looking more like something from a Marvel super hero show/movie. That's not what Star Trek is, but that's what the producers seem to want to make.

I can still watch SNW at this point, and my criticism are easier to ignore because of some actual interesting stories, and some borderline decent dialogue. But, I mean, I'm really thinking that Pike isn't going to have his disfiguring accident the way it was supposed to happen. I'm pretty convinced that it's going to happen in his quarters while he's cooking, and some plasma conduit ruptures while he's making the crew dinner again. I mean, it's what he does most of the time, so it makes sense.
A disastrous coq au vin accident.

TazMan2000

I'm pretty convinced that it's going to happen in his quarters while he's cooking, and some plasma conduit ruptures while he's making the crew dinner again. I mean, it's what he does most of the time, so it makes sense.

I personally love the "down time" aspects of SNW. It's good for chemistry and character building. It's like Ten Forward on TNG, or Tom Paris' black-and-white Flash Gordon knockoff, or baseball or Quark's bar on Deep Space Nine.

And for me, Pike's leadership style is kind of new to Trek:
  • Picard: "Parent"-style leadership
  • Kirk: "Buddy"- or "Boyfriend"-style leadership
  • Pike: "Boss/CEO"-style leadership

• And back to Burnham? Uh, "Rebel" or "Criminal" style I guess? She sure lost her Vulcan-ness pretty fast. So weird.

Last edited:
I personally love the "down time" aspects of SNW. It's good for chemistry and character building. It's like Ten Forward on TNG, or Tom Paris' black-and-white Flash Gordon knockoff, or baseball or Quark's bar on Deep Space Nine.

• And back to Burnham? Uh, "Rebel" or "Criminal" style I guess? She sure lost her Vulcan-ness pretty fast. So weird.
Burnham has Disney style leadership.
Nothing Trek or healthy about it.

It's not so much that he does it. It's that he doesn't seem to do anything BUT that in 8 out of 10 eps. Though when you mention CEO style, that kind of makes sense in a way. And when there's so few eps per season in new TV, I expect more quality out of it and less filler.

I'm still going to check out season 5, but the trailer has not filled me with great expectation so far.

Hmmmm… I would characterize the leadership style of Christopher “Pass me the Bisquick” Pike as “Kids’ Show Adult”:

IMG_3948.jpeg

He desperately wants to be “liked” by every member of the crew and thus smiles like it’s cute as junior officers throw insults at him, each other, and behave in borderline insubordinate ways. Never does he hold them accountable for their behavior.

As the old saying goes, regarding weak leadership styles: “What you permit, you promote”.

His weak leadership style and need to be loved is antithetical to creating a high-performing team.

I know of one particular leader that he should take a page or two from:

IMG_3949.jpeg

Last edited:
Well... I just watched S5E1

This is the first ep I've watched since S3.

I'll start with the bad: I feel like a boxer ducking and weaving thanks to all of the dramatic up close discussions. And I have zero idea what cinematic genius thought that starting a scene down corridors with the camera upside down, and rolling it into a normal orientation, was a great idea. Big fan of 60's Batman off axis cam angles I guess.

Everything is still dark. Even the colourful uniforms are still dark somehow. Dark lighting. Blues and more blues EVERYWHERE. Still so bland.

Disconnected nacelles seem to bob around for some dumb reason. Then again, ships bob around in Warp for some dumb reason as well.

The dialogue. Holy crap... Yes, when they're getting to the point of things, it's fine. But there is SO MUCH nonsensical dialogue. And when the serious nonsense isn't happening, the stupid banter... On and on and on.

The good... It looks great as a generic sci-fi that's okay to watch. No crying this ep. That was good. It still doesn't feel like Star Trek. People are still dicks, but the people who weren't being dicks were being professional. That was good.

I think my complaints overshadow what was a simple, albeit very generic looking sci-fi ep, that was okay... And okay is FAR better then most of the past discovery I've watched.

No crying! Though I'm disappointed that one blithering child of a character is still in it. She's supposed to be super smart, but is somehow so dumb sounding, I have no idea what her purpose is.

For Star Trek: I'll give it a 3 out of 10. As generic sci-fi: I'd say 6 out of 10.

I can't believe I forgot this: There is ONE scene that was beyond stupid. One scene that was beyond what I could accept for the advanced tech of the time. Let's see if people can guess what it was. I'll give a clue. It has something to do with how Starships in Trek are depicted (like fighter jets that can spin and weave on a dime, but that's not what I mean in this case), and how they've taken it to a new level of stupid.

Last edited:
Episode 2... Non-spoiler:

After the okay start of ep 1, I see that Discovery hasn't really changed. Burnham seems to be all in control and serene during no pressure scenes, but the second something starts to happen, she's like a child panicking to solve a problem. Her mannerisms are so off putting in high pressure scenes. And her logs are pontifications filled with bizarre analogies. I just don't get what her character is supposed to be. A competent Starship Captain, or a child full of wonder and fear. She reminds me of a child savant who is so smart in general, but is still a child unable to control their emotions when it matters.

I think I was just really expecting more from her character and it's just the same scab that just won't heal properly. And while I want and do blame the writers, I can't help but wonder if her 3 looks (serene, wide eyed verge of crying, and angry) are all she's capable of conveying.

Then there's the writing in general. What the actual hell is with the writing here?

Captain Rayner is immediately forced to resign for contributing to causing a problem that he fixed before anyone was hurt, and all because it's a "new world"??? Seriously? They're THAT flush in Starship Captains with 30 years of allegedly competent service?

And the twisted solution to not loosing him is to have him become Burnham's First Officer (sorry, Number One. They refuse to say First Officer in new trek for some odd reason). So he's too stuck in his ways having been in too many battles over the years, so decide that either he goes, or he can serve under a newly minted Captain who comes from 800 years ago, from a time of non-stop conflict, who herself has violated SO many orders while still video game leveling up to Captain at flippity flop travel speed).

Then there's the stupid trouble shooting scenes, where Tilly and (I can't recall the other officer's name), tells Captain Rayner that he's interfering with them. Because that's how you talk to a ranking officer, and Starship Captain... And they come up with some dumb process to find a possible solution. Some bizarre string of connections that results in: turn off the power at the control source.... Well hell. That's just brilliant. It took 3 people 5 minutes of erratic brainstorming to come up with THAT. All while we get panicking dialogue from Burnham.

And is there NOTHING all their super future tech can do to help??? NOTHING? They're dealing with some silly ancient Romulan tech and they can't figure out how to do ANYTHING from the super ship?

I'm only 2 eps in, and this ep just soured things so quickly. I have a feeling ep 3 will be nothing but doubling down on emotional nothing nonsense involving Saru.

I had honest hope for season 5. It's their last. I thought they learned from things, And I'm still waiting for it to feel like Star Trek. But so far it's been pretty much nothing but either people being snippy with each other, nonsensical banter, or deep diving emotional discussions about themselves for no reason.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back