Paramount Plans Another New STAR TREK Film, Set ‘Decades’ Before TREK ’09

If you want quality, new sci fi I recommend Foundation on AppleTV.
Did you try For All Mankind, also on Apple TV+? If you're not familiar, it's not strictly sci-fi, but it presents a what-if scenario starting with the original space-race of the 60s which has a ripple efect on history. It's created by Ronald D. Moore of Star Trek and BSG fame so it might scratch that particular itch you have. I have mixed feelings about it (kind of like I do with all Trek) but overall, I enjoy it.
EDIT: I meant to reply to Astyanax, sorry.

Thanks for the tip! I had watched the first three episodes, and given up on it because it is NOTHING like Asimov's novels, which I treasure. But you're not the first person to suggest I give it another try. :)
I hit the wrong reply button, my previous post was meant for you.

I'm just wondering how long until they try to reboot ST:TNG. Now that Picard has wrapped up the original cast, I suspect there's attempts to redo that series somehow. After all, it's clearly the most popular Trek incarnation other than TOS, so I assume it's just a matter of time.

I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't done something to that effect already, like including the TNG characters in a time-travel story on SNW or (now cancelled) Discovery. Recasting the TNG crew might be sacrilege, but they've done it with TOS (twice already, for Spock and Kirk).

Hey, maybe I should write my own movie pitch for the 4th JJ movie. Despite whether you hate the idea - and I know most or all of the people reading this do hate it - I bet if the new JJ Trek had the TNG characters in it, it'd be huge news and could boost the box office.

Did you try For All Mankind, also on Apple TV+? If you're not familiar, it's not strictly sci-fi, but it presents a what-if scenario starting with the original space-race of the 60s which has a ripple efect on history. It's created by Ronald D. Moore of Star Trek and BSG fame so it might scratch that particular itch you have. I have mixed feelings about it (kind of like I do with all Trek) but overall, I enjoy it.
EDIT: I meant to reply to Astyanax, sorry.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out!

I'm just wondering how long until they try to reboot ST:TNG. Now that Picard has wrapped up the original cast, I suspect there's attempts to redo that series somehow. After all, it's clearly the most popular Trek incarnation other than TOS, so I assume it's just a matter of time.

I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't done something to that effect already, like including the TNG characters in a time-travel story on SNW or (now cancelled) Discovery. Recasting the TNG crew might be sacrilege, but they've done it with TOS (twice already, for Spock and Kirk).

Hey, maybe I should write my own movie pitch for the 4th JJ movie. Despite whether you hate the idea - and I know most or all of the people reading this do hate it - I bet if the new JJ Trek had the TNG characters in it, it'd be huge news and could boost the box office.

Recasting TNG is the next obvious thing for the studio to try.

Recasting TNG is the next obvious thing for the studio to try.
They can try. I for one have no interest in more reboots.
I wish I loved Star Trek as much as I did from the TNG - ENT era but sadly Star Trek too a warp speed nose dive into an asteroid of stupidity when JJ half heartedly took over and the franchise has never recovered since. It almost pains me to say but Star Trek is dead to me now. I have the Blu-rays and props and books from the Legacy era but I don't have any interest in watching another attempt from the current regime.

They can try. I for one have no interest in more reboots.
I wish I loved Star Trek as much as I did from the TNG - ENT era but sadly Star Trek too a warp speed nose dive into an asteroid of stupidity when JJ half heartedly took over and the franchise has never recovered since. It almost pains me to say but Star Trek is dead to me now. I have the Blu-rays and props and books from the Legacy era but I don't have any interest in watching another attempt from the current regime.

"from the current regime."

cheap asses want to make Trek, but not pay the actors what they charge, so make a prequel with unknowns
I think it's more about trying to make Trek that appeals to a wider (and younger) audience than the fans of the originals. As with other franchises the fan base keeps aging, and they keep trying to do whatever they can to get new fans. Even the first Abrams Trek movie came out in 2009, which is nearly 15 years ago. The leads of that movie have all aged (a cardinal sin in Hollywood, especially for women), so they might be looking at trying to do the same thing they did with that Abrams reboot - cast younger stars on the rise hoping to keep existing fans of the franchise while "reinvigorating" it for a younger audience. Even if they are looking to cast "cheaper," I'd bet the focus is more on getting younger leads.

I want this man in the cast:

1706104564931.png

Good stories told well are timeless and appeal to the widest demographic possible.
That with actors who are believable in that roll, can bring those stories to life.
Current Star Trek is absent most of that and is wrapped in a shell of much better things that came before.
Unless they go back to the central philosophy of story first I don't see how even this will succeed.
Guess we will see.

Not really interested in anything where Abrams or Kurtzman are involved at any level.
Gave them the benefit of the doubt with Trek 09 and they've been cocking it up ever since

Funny. Discovery will end after its 5th season. I just realized that I only know three of the characters names.

Yep, I watched it just long enough to be introduced to Christopher Pike, and dropped it for Strange New Worlds, which, while not "premium" Trek, really scratches the itch for me.

I think this is mainly because SNW cares about its legacy in ways that Discovery does not, and treats the past with respect. The Season 1 "What If" remake of TOS episode "Balance of Terror" blew me away. They had the guts to literally show us that Kirk will one day become a greater captain than Pike. Any way you look at it, it's gutsy to take your lead down a notch like that. And Pike grew from the humbling. I loved it.

Am I the ONLY person who doesn’t fall for the whole ‘alternate universe/timeline’ crap?

Spock himself said in the 2009 movie that due to the Nerada’s (sp?) coming back in time and doing what they did, ALTERED what would have been their timeline.

It was never an alternate timeline, but their prime timeline which had been altered.

Abrams came up with that crap after fan outrage.

Am I the ONLY person who doesn’t fall for the whole ‘alternate universe/timeline’ crap?

Spock himself said in the 2009 movie that due to the Nerada’s (sp?) coming back in time and doing what they did, ALTERED what would have been their timeline.

It was never an alternate timeline, but their prime timeline which had been altered.

Abrams came up with that crap after fan outrage.

The question is…what alternative timeline of Star Trek does …”this”… belong in??

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back