Paramount Plans Another New STAR TREK Film, Set ‘Decades’ Before TREK ’09

Hard pass on anything jj trek/klutzman trek related.

So… back during the Enterprise era? I ask because decades before the ‘09 Trek makes it back on the original universe.

Well, if Prime time travel events that should happened post Narada incursion don't happen, then the past of the Kelvin timeline would be different from the prime timeline. I suppose that's the difference between divergent timelines and a whole new universe. Basically you unzip the timelines so the divergent point is at the furthest back time travel event, not the incursion date.

Well, if Prime time travel events that should happened post Narada incursion don't happen, then the past of the Kelvin timeline would be different from the prime timeline. I suppose that's the difference between divergent timelines and a whole new universe. Basically you unzip the timelines so the divergent point is at the furthest back time travel event, not the incursion date.
But… it says “decades before the 2009 film.” Decades before the 2009 film places it back before the Narada incursion that was featured in the 2009 film, and back on the Prime timeline, would it not?

Last edited:
But… it says “decades before the 2009 film.” Decades before the 2009 film places it back before the Narada incursion that was featured in the 2009 film, and back on the Prime timeline, would it not?

You would think so, but no, not if we follow the rules of star trek style time travel. The Narada appears in 2233, creating a divergent timeline (Kelvin A). it's past is identical to Prime until the events of (for example) Tomorrow is Yesterday. Kelvin A Kirk and Company don't go back to 1969 (and if they do they don't run into Prime Kirk). So the Kelvin A past is slightly different from 1969 forward. Then 2233 happens again, and the Narada appears in this slightly different reality, crating Kelvin B, then City on the Edge of Forever doesn't happen, the loop happens again, creating Kelvin C which diverges from Prime in 1930. After a few loops Times Arrow doesn't happen, moving the divergence to 1893, ect. Then you add in the new time travel events that do happen in the new timeline. This happens again and again until the appearance of the Narada doesn't cause an alteration in a later time travel event, compared to the previous loop, thus creating a stable timeline, one where the USS Kelvin looks like it does at the beginning of the movie. Let's call this timeline Kelvin W. That's the one we've been watching, where a prequel isn't on the Prime timeline. Simon Pegg put forward a version of this explanation a while back, if I remember correctly.

"Prime" is just jj trek/kurtzman jargon.
We have.
Star Trek canon 1966 - 2005.
Everything after 2005/Prime/Kelvin/Klutzman/Spores and mushrooms.

"Prime" is just jj trek/kurtzman jargon.
We have.
Star Trek canon 1966 - 2005.
Everything after 2005/Prime/Kelvin/Klutzman/Spores and mushrooms.

even if you don't consider the post Discovery series in continuity with TOS-ENT, they are still separate from JJ.

1. Hunter
2. Greenwood
3. Mount

Meh, I enjoyed JJ Trek. And a "prequel" set in that universe, regardless of how time travely they want to try and be with the past caused by no time travel in the future, doesn't bug me, conceptually.

That said, I have little faith that it would be a fun movie. I'd say to just let star trek sit for a few years unmolested.

Enough room for original space travel stories that I see no need to shoehorn things into the ST universe at this point.

Meh, I enjoyed JJ Trek. And a "prequel" set in that universe, regardless of how time travely they want to try and be with the past caused by no time travel in the future, doesn't bug me, conceptually.

That said, I have little faith that it would be a fun movie. I'd say to just let star trek sit for a few years unmolested.

Enough room for original space travel stories that I see no need to shoehorn things into the ST universe at this point.
I know right. I mean, Voyager established that in the 29th Century, that the Federation uses time travel to insure temporal deviations from occurring (so, by that logic, the 2009 "Kelvin" timeline shouldn't exist because someone from the 29th would have gone back to correct it). But, as Abrams himself admitted, he's not a Star Trek fan, so he wouldn't know that bit of info. XD

But I agree, there's enough room for space travel to cover tons of stories. No need to add prequels into the mix, especially for something like the Abrams films.

, Voyager established that in the 29th Century, that the Federation uses time travel to insure temporal deviations from occurring (so, by that logic, the 2009 "Kelvin" timeline shouldn't exist because someone from the 29th would have gone back to correct it

They would only correct events that threaten their existence. Any time travel that leads to the creation of their timeline is good and was supposed to happen. Very "Sacred Timeline" of them. The Kelvin is a unique case because its established that it was a new branched universe not a changed timeline (presumably due to the use of red matter as the mechanism). So Kelvin has its own 29th century time cops protecing it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back