RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Oops, double post.
Hardware build? Could have fooled me.This is the first hardware build I've done in like 20 years. Much better than previous efforts, but now that I have adult money I'm probably looking to get better greeblies next time.
Among the things I used are the wand to a gallon weed sprayer from home depot (handle is inside the cutout section, button and lever cannibalized for knob and activation plate), a very old and cheap shower head that I took apart and jammed back together in the wrong order for the emitter, some pvc pipe that I cut and painted for the grip section, and yet more pvc for the pommel. This was also my first foray into any kind of weathering, which frankly I'm more happy with than the rest of the build. I feel like it could use some more fine details, like miscellaneous screws or rivets or something, but I'm not sure what.
Frankly, I'm just happy to have finally done it. Some of these parts have been sitting in my project bucket for a decade or more.
View attachment 1594564
View attachment 1594565
View attachment 1594561 View attachment 1594562 View attachment 1594563
I really like that, like it was Obi-wan’s before ANH, and the outer shroud has the grenade underneath. Really nice job!After a ridiculous drought thanks to work and other inanity, I've done my first install of 2022. Here is my latest Canon Flashbody saber, this time an alternate universe Obi-Wan Ep 3/4 hilt. Threaded extensions were ground down and epoxied in place in the flashbody itself, allowing use of MHS thin neck and Obi parts. I used a brass tactile behind the existing red button for activation and some gold-tone mesh + diffusing material + 8 3535 pixels in the sync cutout. The chassis is bone-simple: a speaker holder 6 from TCSS held in place with retention screws with removable 18650 battery and Proffieboard v2. Pixel connector is from CR sabers and the speaker is a random 28 mm from aliexpress. The bubble strip is cut down from a WannaWanga part and snugged with a bit of scotch tape.
It's got a solid heft and there's _just_ enough blade engagement in the TCSS holder that the blade doesn't wobble. There's some minor surface damage (pitting, slight dent in the windvane) and liberal use of Jax aluminum blackener for weathering. The flashbody itself is in really good shape, with very minimal pitting and scratching present from it's 70 year life as a camera accessory before being co-opted here. View attachment 1594916
View attachment 1594917 View attachment 1594918 View attachment 1594919
Man I really like the look of this!!
Interesting that SA22C and yourself both designed a variation on a similar concept, independently. Both are cool designs, though!View attachment 1596764 View attachment 1596765
Well the install on my personal saber is mostly done. Needs some refinement. I think I have a bad speaker because it's pretty crackley (my first saber build had a bad speaker too). I need a new pixel for the crystal (colors are backwards except for blue) and I want to swap out the Luke style card for a bubble card, so I get some of the crystal shining though. But it's done-ish. Been tinkering on this for about 4 years now.
Well I would say that's evidence that great minds think alike!Interesting that SA22C and yourself both designed a variation on a similar concept, independently. Both are cool designs, though!