Show your custom Lightsabers!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by GreenCircleCube, Jan 22, 2015.

1. GreenCircleCube

GreenCircleCube Active Member

Hey guys,

So since Star Wars: The Force Awakens is coming this December, I've been getting back into lightsabers again.

I really enjoyed the lightsabers from the movies like Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber, Mace Windu's lightsaber, and especially Obi Wan's lightsaber from TPM and AOTC.
    But from this, I've been looking at lightsabers made from fans like Vader's Vault, Genesis Custom Sabers, and Parks Sabers.

So I want to see what the lovely people from The RPF has come up with for their custom saber. And hey! Your guys' designs may spark more people to make their own sabers, just in time for episode 7.

Jimmy

2. Verbal21

Verbal21 Active Member

I remember seeing a really cool white Stormtrooper one. I wish I could remember from where, I think it was here, so I could buy one.

3. GreenCircleCube

This one?:
    [​IMG]

JusJiminez likes this.
  4. Verbal21

Verbal21 Active Member

Yes, it was. Do you know where I can get one?

5. GreenCircleCube

6. vidman

vidman Well-Known Member

here is my custom saber , I call her " THE KAREN ", named after my fiance' that passed away 7 years ago

[​IMG]

build specs are as follows,
    main led: Seoul P4 190 lm
    blade holder: tcss ep3 aluminum
    driver/sound card: CFSC 4.0, 6 sound banks
    power: 7.2v Ni-Hm 6 cell rechargeable with recharge port in pommel w/ kill key
    switch: SPST
    accents: 4 green 5mm sequencing programmable via CFSC
    low batt indicator: single 5mm red led
    speaker: 1 watt high output 1.125 inch
    paint: krylon hammered bronze and krylon gold

here is a vid of her functioning( the sound is way off and the vid is , you'll see) :

http://vid646.photobucket.com/albums/uu190/Kal_El_Rah/DSCI0152.mp4

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    grenater and RedbirdXlll like this.
  7. GreenCircleCube

Looks very nice, what is the main body made out of? I was thinking brass or copper but from the picture it looks like it has more texture than brass and copper piping.

Also I am sorry for your loss.

8. vidman

vidman Well-Known Member

Thanks GreenCircleCube,
    actually it started out life as an EP3 Anakin saber, I used krylon hammered bronze and krylon gold for the accents.

If you klik on the picture and then on " Kal_El_Rah's Bucket " on the upper left corner under where it say " Applications " you can see most of the build, my pb account is open for viewing .

GreenCircleCube likes this.
  9. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Here's my purchased custom saber, which I took with me when I joined the CREW of Star Wars Celebration Europe II in Essen :

[​IMG]

The only greeblies I added were the T-track and a 1" matt white roller ball from a deodorant bottle trapped inside with gaffer tape and the
    blade retainer screw to prevent blinding other participants whilest showing of the light and sound fx without a proper blade attached to it :

[​IMG]

... the weathering was all done by the previous owner/maker ... it contains pre-made parts that can be purchased seperately at The Custom Saber Shop :)

Chaim

10. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

It's just a custom Mara Jade lightsaber but I think I could post it here. It's no real movie prop though;) Completely from scratch and with a custom crystal chamber.

Mara Jade 44.jpg Mara Jade 78.jpg

Mara Jade 81.jpg

I really like the way you used the T-track around the switch. The two small parts above and underneath the switch add so much to the look.

11. vidman

vidman Well-Known Member

here is another 1 I
    m working on, it's a Aniken AOTC MR I'm converting to a Sith style with a red/orange 3 watt led , US2.5 sound/driver and the standard rest for power, switch etc.

the start
    [​IMG]

and after paint but not assembled
    [​IMG]

12. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Thanks, mate. If only you knew how many T-track I sacrifized to get it to look so clean and prestine :cry T-tracks have a curve on the end and straight cut on the front :

[​IMG]

Chaim

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    vidman and Luke the Belter like this.
  13. vidman

vidman Well-Known Member

your t trac trick slipped by my mind , I was thinking before that looks neat but didn't register till you guys said it :p

Sym-Cha likes this.
  14. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Thanks vidman and the real trick is that those tiny pieces of T-track sit a-symmetrical on the switch ... that's what I love about STAR WARS ... it's rustic, weathered, uneven and looks used ... a lot! :)

Chaim

15. MKretschmer

MKretschmer Member

Here's a Jedi lightsaber I made a couple years ago for a short fan film that was set in the time of the Old Republic, hence the wooden handles. It's only a film prop so no electronics or intricate detailing. It has a cavity with a threaded collar at its base for a 3/4" wood dowel to be inserted for the blade, like a pool cue. Fun project!

More pics: http://www.kretschmerkreativ.com/archives/2014/12/4/jedi-lightsaber-star-wars
    and https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1514839588787860.1073741832.1509557849316034&type=3
    ST-TOR Jedi Lightsaber.jpg
    Fan film at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKMcML3NhKQ

vidman likes this.
  16. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

That was a fun fan film indeed ... perhaps a Wookie could have assembled that wooden based saber in Ep. VII ... returning from Kashyyyk :)

Chaim

17. arkangel

arkangel Well-Known Member

That's a beauty Chaim ! It has all the gritty in-universe realism one could want. I love it ! :)

Sym-Cha likes this.
  18. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Yeah I love it too ... the kids at SW CE II in Essen were quite impressed ... especially after I told them mine would have an actual light-beam, of course after igniting ... it did not ... hilarious to watch their faces in anticipated suspence of the beam with a straight face obviously ... luckily the sound fx are quite loud ... so I apologized politely since it must be malfunctioning . . . and I would have to run some level 3 diagnostics ... then I pointed the saber, like Luke, to check the inside from the front of the saber. Thank goodness for the extra addition of my cover-top ball from my deodorant bottle :wacko

Chaim

19. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My first custom will forever be hidden... Well.. you could probably just go to home depot plumbing section and randomly glue stuff together and get the same thing...

but I do have plans for a custom...

If anyone has any Graflex slave unites (they are just the top part of the saber) PM ME! (cuz I don't think anyone really looks at the WTB section of junkyard)

Bogleo likes this.
  20. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

These were made around 2000, so don't judge! :lol

This was made out of a 2 cell Heiland (I think) and a Graflex Slave. The idea was to have an ergonomic grip that fit your hand. I've got a better idea for the slave so this one will change.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also made out of a 2 cell Heiland. I will probably redo this one eventually too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did this one right around 2001. I figured that the lightsaber needed some color so made some details gold. That was before the Mace lightsaber too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vidman and GreenCircleCube like this.
  21. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Jason, I love that second one! Real streamlined, it just works
    and i think that is a great looking slave saber. I've seen people do crazy things with those.

Lets see if I can find some of mine...
    DSCN1186.JPG
    this is a custom Bolsey...it started as a Yoda and i got carried away

DSCN1725.JPG DSCN1726.JPG
    this i made from clock parts and a flashlight...very minimalist... tactical even.

TinyTim and vidman like this.
  22. ARKM

ARKM Sr Member

Hmm. Do BMX handlebar grips nailed to a painted, wooden broom handle count as a custom lightsaber? If so, that would be my first (second, third, fourth, etc.) custom saber from when I was a kid. Had a lot of fun with those back in the day. For the most part I skipped the hardware saber thing but did make this one from PVC when I was in my 20's.

[​IMG]

Here's the first custom machined aluminum saber I ever bought. It was made by RLSA Sabers.

[​IMG]

... and here's first custom saber I commissioned, also by RLSA Sabers. It has two blade holders, one for a 3/4" dia. blade and one for a 1" dia. blade.

[​IMG]

I still have both of those RLSA hilts.

Here's the first machined aluminum saber I built by myself

[​IMG]

I've made quite a few sabers since then, though not as much as some of the more well known saber smiths and never for myself... except for one which I made last year. I call it Nifo'oti. It's based off of a Samoan fire knife. It's currently undergoing some modifications as I decided to change some things up on it but here is what it looked like...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    TinyTim, MatrixSpoon, SfS and 4 others like this.
  23. GreenCircleCube

Those look fantastic man! Beautiful work. I'm planning on building a custom saber for myself out of styrofoam and then either metal cast it or just make a regular resin casting. I do want to put electronics in it so does anybody know which way is better to work with to make it have electronics?

ARKM likes this.
  24. ARKM

ARKM Sr Member

Thanks. :)

I've never done any casting but I would imagine that the hard part is making something cast, hollow. I'm thinking that you would want it to be hollow when cast, as doing it afterwards could damage the material. If you have at least a 1" I.D., you could use a Plecter Labs Nano Biscotte sound board, 18500 or 18650 battery, a multi die Rebel or Cree LED and a 1" dia. Solo's Hold or TCSS heat sink module.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  25. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Some awesome custom sabers, you guys ... great skills and talent :)

Chaim

26. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes!

I also made a custom saber for a certain secret santa recipient...I was kinda sad to see that one go, but I hope they love it!

27. Calaeryn

Calaeryn Well-Known Member

Here's a few pics of some I've made. Most of them are my own designs and I made them for myself. A few are commissions or ones I design/made and then sold.

itbedavesaber.jpg custom01.jpg Groomsmen3.jpg monolith04.jpg saber1.jpg obiwan2saber.jpg banshee.jpg avalon4.jpg aegis2.jpg sentinel2.jpg apocalypse00.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  28. Calaeryn

Here's a couple kid's sized sabers I did...each one is photographed next to a regular saber as a size comparison.

customkids02.jpg customkids01.jpg

vidman and GreenCircleCube like this.
  29. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Cool designs Calaeryn ... I envy your metal skills :)

Chaim

30. GreenCircleCube

Those look marvelous! Do some of them have electronics (besides the one shown with the blue blade)? Also how did you get into machining and how did you get them to look great?

31. Calaeryn

Thank you. While several of them have LEDs in them, only the one pictured with the blade has any electronics in it. It actually has a sound module in the pommel too. Including electronics sometimes limits the design, because I have to leave room inside for them, so I can't cut very deep.

As for how I got into machining, I've been a member of the RPF for a long time and when the SW prequels came out, sabers were really hot and I was really into them. I bought a bunch of them...from MR, custom runs, etc. I was even a member of an "underground" saber forum that sprung up when the licensing issues got kinda hot. I had designed some of my own sabers and after looking into what it would cost the have them made, I decided to buy a hobby lathe and make them myself...and I know other RPF members have their own custom designs, so I figured I could do some commission work and help bring their designs to life at a reasonable cost. I don't have any kind of training or anything...I'm self taught. I just have lots of practice and have honed my skills/techniques.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  32. GreenCircleCube

Fantastic, I hope to keep in contact with you! Also did you find difficulty using metal with a hobby lathe? If so, what are some metals that are easy to work with?

33. Calaeryn

Aircraft-grade aluminum (like 6061) is my main material. I also use brass for some of the knobs and other accent pieces. Those are both pretty easy to cut, even dry. I have some stainless steel stock but honestly I've never tried to cut it. I'm sure its tough as hell.

I have a Sherline 4400 lathe (picture below)...I also have the milling column, which converts it to a milling machine, and the knurling attachment. The biggest problem is that its powered by an electric motor, so its not terribly powerful. You can't take off a lot of metal in a single pass, so it takes a while - probably 15 hours on average - to make a saber. But I typically make everything on a saber, including the knobs/thumbscrews and the Covertec. The only things I don't make are the LEDs and any screws I may use (like the one that holds on the Covertec).

sherline.jpg

ataru72ita and GreenCircleCube like this.
  34. Theron Leginas

Theron Leginas New Member

I recently won this in an auction from Nocturne Armory. Will be the lightsaber to my turned-to-the-dark-side Jedi costume, alongside my CF7.5 Ascend from Genesis Custom Sabers.

Made from machined aluminum
    Black powder coated accents
    Leather wraps
    Measures 9 3/4" long
    Medium weathering
    7/8 inch diameter polycarbonate blades
    Petit Crouton v3.5 soundboard
    7.4v liion pack
    Red/red/orange Luxeon rebel main LED
    2 Red Luxeon rebel side LED's
    2.1mm charge port with kill key

And now for pictures!

Crossguard Saber 2.jpg 20150124_135956.jpg Crossguard Saber 1.jpg 20150124_135946.jpg 20150124_140014.jpg Crossguard Saber 3.jpg 20150124_140007.jpg

35. ARKM

ARKM Sr Member

Calaeryn, those are some very nice hilts.

Here's another saber I made. I made this one back in 2008. This saber (to my surprise and delight) was used in the Flash Mob video to promote the Star Wars - The Old Republic MMO. Link to video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wjf_lWxqyI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1stage, jedicri, SolosHold and 2 others like this.
  36. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

@ Theron Leginas ... now only hope that the character is not killed off just seconds after igniting his lightsaber ;)

... enjoy your purchase though :)

Chaim

37. modelcitizen

modelcitizen Sr Member

DSC00135.JPG
    DSC00136.JPG
    DSC00138.JPG
    oldschool saber

38. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Wow ... that's a telegraph button G R A F L E X top ... much sought after by blasterguys for a Boba blaster stunt variation if I recall correctly ... excellent ... personally I'd add some T-track ... well done sir :)

Chaim

39. GreenCircleCube

This is all brilliant stuff guys!

40. Scott D

Scott D Sr Member

41. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Nice sabers. What kind of vintage flashgun is the base for those Peak Sabers™?

Chaim

42. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Did these up pre- episode 1
    The Heiland changed many times from it's original purchase back in the early 80's.
    A friend had a box of metal parts and junk that we went through and assembled sabers for our trip to Denver for Cel #1

The OB1 was made just before opening day.

16364352832_2d2b71a0c5_o.jpg

GreenCircleCube and ARKM like this.
  43. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Some of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

44. Calaeryn

Good stuff. Are they made with found parts or do you machine them?

45. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Wow Chris ... I just imagined all sorts of creatures or beings becoming Jedi's from the known STAR WARS Galaxy using those lightsabers ... amazing :)

Chaim

46. Calaeryn

Sym-Cha likes this.
  47. Reel Fakes

There are some machined parts, but they are leftovers from old runs - I didn't do any machining. Everything else is scratchbuilt and/or found objects.

Thanks Chaim - I built these for my kids. :)

48. Calaeryn

Cool...some interesting machined parts in there...like curvy bulbous grip.

49. Reel Fakes

Part of a candle holder! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50. Scott D

Scott D Sr Member

1940's era Peak Photo products 3 cell.

I've bought and sold several in the past 15 years and there's currently nine mint ones in my collection. Only six are converted into sabers, though.

In my eyes, the "Peaksaber" would have looked right at home in Episode III, but Lathes & milling machines were easier than found items, I guess.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Sym-Cha likes this.